Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

@julian-wolf Yes these the MiUSA 47s.

There is a 1946 model with 12oz Cone that was made earlier in 2019 that is around as well.

I am excited to see what SC will do next beyond the most recent MiJ 46s. I would really enjoy a MiUSA 20-30s pair of canes. 

They look great. How’s the sizing? Both of the pairs of MiUSA Cane’s I’ve tried have been about a size smaller than they’re MiJ equivalents, but that’s back 15 years now in terms of production. Any comparison to the MiJ ‘47?

On 2/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Bought my pair from BEARS...with free shipping and without Japanese tax it's hard to beat Sugar Cane's pricepoint

Those Canes look fantastic, I have a pair of the 1955s and do like the high waist fit very much.  I wonder how to avoid the Japanese tax. I tried buying a pair from bears but always it was stated "tax included", also later at the PayPal checkout there wasn't´t a tax discount and I would have had to pay 130,-€, which still is a good price I know. 

12/13yrs ago when i used to buy a lot of SC/BR i used to buy it from Vari (who stocked just about everything) i was on pretty good terms with the manager so rather than use the click/buy and wait for a response i would drop him an email saying i want this n' that can you send me a PP invoice for the goods +ship to my usual shipping address? so jp tax was never added and i never had to question it, ive never paid JP tax at PSA, Pirates, Real Moon, VP, Cream, 3&8 ect...

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Things may be different now but I recall a few years back I was going to order from a store in Japan (I won't mention the name) but they said that by law they had to charge tax. I asked John Lofgren about it & he said it was 'a flat out lie'.

You don’t pay Japanese consumption tax if the item is being exported. The same thing should apply to any equivalent tax from a different country if the item is being exported. The main exceptions being countries involved in multinational trade deals, such as the EU for example.

It took me a little while to convince one particular store about this. Eventually he conceded and said he would not charge consumption tax (8% at that time), but would now add a 4% surcharge to deal with the extra handling and admin. He lost what might have been a good customer.

Edited by Duke Mantee

Thank you all for sharing your experience on this.

Time to show some pics of the US mades 1955s evolution bought preowned a few years ago.

Hope to find a raw pair once, but being really not into buying via proxys I have to wait for a lucky day on eBay.

IMG_9495.thumb.jpg.491aa1ecdcf87667f581ef28cf0b2a25.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

23 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Those Canes look fantastic, I have a pair of the 1955s and do like the high waist fit very much.  I wonder how to avoid the Japanese tax. I tried buying a pair from bears but always it was stated "tax included", also later at the PayPal checkout there wasn't´t a tax discount and I would have had to pay 130,-€, which still is a good price I know. 

Which store of them did you use? I paid 15800¥ which is the price without taxes and it was displayed this way from the beginning. Otherwise you would pay 17380¥ for the SC42021 when tax is included 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a bit of advice regarding type III blacks, do these fit TTS in the waist? For reference I wear 34 in both LVC '54 ja Levi's STF, both fit me great and are about 43-44 cm waist.

Any suggestions for whether to order from PSA or Hinoya to Europe?

On 12/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Not off the top of my head,  but Ive just had a quick snoop around the interwebz... they mark the 15th anniversary of Begin, Eisho translates to 'chant' they're 50/50 mix and dyed with indigo from Ryuku, the Eisho pair celebrate the Yaeyama Islands which are marked by the character on the patch the other character refers to the Sanshin (musical instrument)

fullsizeoutput_2ac5

...there are other pairs in the Begin 15th anniversary line up, a 'Masura' pair (50/50) for instance which translates to 'A Good Destiny'

fullsizeoutput_2ac7

..both pairs have the same '15th Anniversary' red tab sewn inside the waistband.

my pair doesnt have the 15th anniversay patch sewn in the waist but that 15th anniversary is pretty cool. first time i've seen it

IMG_7945.thumb.JPG.48ff8bd8021833f7a981ad802758615b.JPGIMG_7944.thumb.JPG.5122002c3ebfbf6d082dea0416da73bf.JPG

@Henkka I would say go with your usual size. Here are the measurements for the Black 1947 Type III's I sold Waist: 35", Thigh (From Crotch) : 12.75", Leg Opening: 8" , Inseam: 33". The waist came in a bit smaller at about 34.5" when i first got them ,but with trying them on a few times, they stretched a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Lazerr said:

@Henkka I would say go with your usual size. Here are the measurements for the Black 1947 Type III's I sold Waist: 35", Thigh (From Crotch) : 12.75", Leg Opening: 8" , Inseam: 33". The waist came in a bit smaller at about 34.5" when i first got them ,but with trying them on a few times, they stretched a bit. 

@Lazerr Much appreciated! Was this measured flat?

Been reaching for those more often recently, with the weather being quite shite.
Probably the most comfy denim I own, once the scratchiness of wool and sugar cane fibers has worn off. Turns to a really nice blueberry-blue after some time and gets super-soft. I've actually been thinking of getting a backup pair of these 2 sizes up, but let's see... 

IMG_20210316_081925.jpg

IMG_20210316_081903.jpg

IMG_20210316_081854.jpg

Edited by Thanks_M8

@bartlebyyphonics It has less to do with exchange rating but more about the wholsesaler for the UK/European market. 
SugarCane prices have always been way above the real market price. I think (not sure about it) that the main importer is in the UK and dictate the prices for wholsesal in Europe, similar like Giles from IH is resosible for the pricing around the market outside Japan. 

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@bartlebyyphonics It has less to do with exchange rating but more about the wholsesaler for the UK/European market. 
SugarCane prices have always been way above the real market price. I think (not sure about it) that the main importer is in the UK and dictate the prices for wholsesal in Europe, similar like Giles from IH is resosible for the pricing around the market outside Japan. 

thanks for the info: I was being slightly tongue in cheek: Sugar Cane strategy in the UK is a mystery with that inflation ... [I know you have remarked upon it in the past, worth rattling that cage / gnawing that bone again...] ... would like to support UK brick and mortar, but not with that price ...

1 hour ago, Thanks_M8 said:

^same here with german brick and mortar. 300€ for a pair of okinawas vs 150€ plus about 50€ shipping and taxes from PSA can't be beat. Plus many more choices.

If those numbers are correct then it would be cheaper to buy Sugar Cane from Self Edge if you're in Europe than it would be to buy from Japan.  If not cheaper than about the same price and at least you can return them for credit which I know most stores in Japan won't allow you to do. Just something to think about.. 

1 hour ago, Thanks_M8 said:

^ got a point there. Problem is, customs and shipping are usually the same from the US and japan, from my experience at least.

It really depends on how the item is shipped.. private courier versus public express or priority yields three very different results.

@Thanks_M8 Denimio is the way to go for most brands. The prices are usually the Japanese domestic price, with free shipping for purchases over ~$150 USD. Hard to beat so long as they stock what you're after! 

Never had any problems with them, even when purchasing proxy items. 

Cheers. 

Edited by JMS