Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

i think it looks extremely similar to the effect on the mister freedom jeans. it’s my understanding that MF and MiUSA sugar cane jeans are made in the same facility. it looks to me like christophe has his buttons painted to give them an “oxidized” effect. i would be much happier to realize this isn’t mean’t as faux patina, so i’m happy to be wrong here. 

AA291CFB-3E27-4FC7-A200-E1BF1A9C7130.jpeg

CEC2AF59-441D-4C41-B31F-F435B7A967E5.jpeg

6FEC97BB-CAEB-4D02-9851-AA10CBD6B926.jpeg

0774D6E8-BBC4-4A69-9625-6D6A9D36D719.jpeg

I'm not being too dogmatic about it rooms, There was a conversation on here (maybe the other place) sometime around 2012 after i bought my FW's 47's where the general consensus was...the yellow is proofing?
After said Freewheelers conversation i started saving photo's of the yellowing but being a 'lazy bones' i never tagged them/lost interest...the one i posted on the previous page being the most extreme example, you can see where it has transferred to the denim, i suppose oxidisation or proofing could be capable of this.

This fly button def looks like a coating/treatment (i assume wax) rather than a forced/faux oxidisation (maynard's right, we've see it on other repro's/vintage ect) because the coating has washed off leaving a shiny button underneath,  if it was oxidised it would have eaten into/affected the surface of the metal.

fullsizeoutput_2b53

...and you would expect some kind of proofing if the buttons are prone to rust and they're been sold in areas of high humidity, you wouldn't want to buy a pair of jeans which had been folded up on the shelf for a few years to find the fly had rusted, now if they were proofing the fly you would expect them to proof the top button too. 

If the yellow is oxidation? ive been working with metals for years and ive never seen bright yellow oxidation but having said that it all depends on exact metal spec, environment ect which would be impossible to recreate and to give that pov some weight you don't see the yellowing on every pair of vintage Levi's so it could be unique to certain conditions..and maybe the top button looks more yellow than the fly because it's more exposed to the atmosphere rather than encased between the folded denim... clear as mud, i know but best i can do at 7am :)
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Yep, the yellow paint was a form of protection for the button- from oxidation. Not very effective I’d say, but then we’ve seen dozens of similar ‘ideas’ that were probably great at the moment of conception and a good bit less so as time wore on.

It’s quite simple to oxidise metal buttons so painting the effect seems a bit dumb to me - although there’s a very rare chemical that can be used on all aspects of jeans ...

C67D4885-66F9-4591-8381-2A89DE2C8640.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Mifune said:

2021 47s look great. Can you order from this Japanese site for shipment to USA? 

Are Sugercane 1955s long gone?

Cheers

Send them a note through the site and Tom Tanaka will sort you out. Super fast and very easy to deal with. They don't take overseas orders through the online shop.

So I made a booboo ordering my 66's from Denimio... I didn't account for how the waist was going to sit given how high the rise is and they ended up way too loose. Anyone wanna buy this w31 for $160 shipped conus w/ priority? to save me the hassle of paying return shipping? rest of the pics   Ended up returning 

SLq7qrF.jpg

Edited by beew

On 1/19/2021 at 11:09 PM, beew said:

So I made a booboo ordering my 66's from Denimio... I didn't account for how the waist was going to sit given how high the rise is and they ended up way too loose. Anyone wanna buy this w31 for $160 shipped conus w/ priority? to save me the hassle of paying return shipping? rest of the pics

SLq7qrF.jpg

@beew - do you have the measurements for these BIG style please?

On 1/31/2021 at 5:22 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

Is the denim used on the recent Self Edge collab Okinawa BSPs the same as that used for the standard Okinawa jeans?

https://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2683&search=bspow

Edited by kiya