Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I know there has been decent discussion on the 1966s throughout this thread, but would anyone mind offering some (more) advice on sizing? 

I wear a 33 in the 1947s. 

The 66 fabric is sanforized right? Not much shrinkage? 

I'm tempted to get a 33 as well, but I'm assuming they'll sit at a different place on the waist. 

Thanks for the help everyone! 

I can’t comment on sizing with personal experience but from reading comments on here, some have recommended sizing down by one while others suggest true to size is the way to go. I do know that they’re not sanforized though.

19 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I can’t comment on sizing with personal experience but from reading comments on here, some have recommended sizing down by one while others suggest true to size is the way to go. I do know that they’re not sanforized though.

Thank you. Very helpful. 

5 hours ago, JMS said:

I know there has been decent discussion on the 1966s throughout this thread, but would anyone mind offering some (more) advice on sizing? 

I'm tempted to get a 33 as well, but I'm assuming they'll sit at a different place on the waist. 

I have pair of the 66s and i think you can get away with sizing down 1 but TTS is fine as well if want a more relaxed fit.  I have the 1947s in 33 and the waist is definitely too tight on me. My 1966 is in 34 and the waist still has slack even if i wear these a bit lower on the hip than the 47s. My 1966 seems a full size bigger than the 50s buzz ricksons jeans im wearing now in the same size. The thighs on the 66s are also quite roomy. 

On the shrinkage, i bought mine once washed and i got maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in of shrinkage in the length and some nice roping after putting these on the drier.

Edited by mousemouse

4 hours ago, JMS said:

@mousemouse Thaaaank you. Lots of good info. 

I am super fascinated with the buzz lots, how do you like the 50s cut? 

I'm assuming the same type of construction as sugarcanes, but how is the fabric? 

I actually like the buzz 50s fit best which was surprising since i only bought it due to it being on sale. I feel the buzz 50s jeans had a nice balance of the features in the 47s and 66s. The waist and hip area have enough room for me and the leg has a small amount of taper. Its a great all around pair of jeans.

I will try to take some photos soon but the fabric doesn't seem to be the same as the sc 47 (darker) or 66 (gray), its a lot more blue. 

does anyone know how the recent Edo-Ais compare to the 2009 or 2014s..? The description in terms of cut and weight of the denim makes it seem like they could be comparable... I'm almost always 34 in SC (except for some older pairs in 33, but they've stretched out over the years.. erm.. well, that's my recollection anyway). Trying to work out if I'd be better off looking at 36 for Edo-Ai. Reason I ask is, I have a shot at getting a 34x34 OW pair but that's all that's on offer...

@mondo Hey , I have both the edo ai and the 2014 Jean, and would say that the edo Ai’s fit slimmer than the 2014, however I still went size 34 in both. I can take measurements later if needed

Edo Ai in 34

The waist is 86cm, front rise is 31cm, top thigh is 32cm and leg opening is 20cm ,inseam is 79cm.

Edited by Lazerr
Added measurements

Thanks @Lazerr, I'll have to dig through my jeans... first world problem, I know, but I have the 2009 and 2014 that I picked up for $10 apiece at a secondhand store – the 2014s are a 36" waist though. They're too big on me in the top block, but I feel as if the thighs etc would be a bit tight if I went a size down, whereas the 2009s feel pretty good all over. They could stand to shrink a bit, even, but the lighter denim they use for these doesn't change much (if at all), hot wash or not. If the Edo Ai is slimmer than the 2014, I'm thinking it could be a bridge too far this time. I don't know if I'm in a position to purchase any "aspirational" jeans just now...

On 1/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, JMS said:

i don't own the 47s, although i have the 66s in a size 32. i pretty consistently wear a 33/34 in other non-SC denim and talked about my experiences with sizing earlier in the thread. in short, i found the measurements deceiving as the size 34 in particular was absolutely huge. 33 was borderline okay, but still too loose and sloppy for my liking.

Edited by conqueror

@mondo Completely understand. I should have clarified that it felt slimmer to me from mid thigh down. Also, when comparing the denim, the Edo Ai's seem to have less give than the 2014 Jean. My 2014's haven't stretched that much but I also haven't given them as much wear as they deserve. 

1 hour ago, Lazerr said:

@mondo Completely understand. I should have clarified that it felt slimmer to me from mid thigh down. Also, when comparing the denim, the Edo Ai's seem to have less give than the 2014 Jean. My 2014's haven't stretched that much but I also haven't given them as much wear as they deserve. 

:ph34r: I ended up pulling the trigger... based on your measurements plus the usual sources they come up about the same as my 2009s except for the waist (about an inch less) – I've had pairs of SC47s with weirdly tight waistbands that have eventually stretched out. At half price, I guess I could make my money back if they really don't fit!

18 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Jeans all look great @mousemouse

Re- the 66's how did you manage to get such extensive fading to the front with only minor signs of wear to the back?

Hmm I was also wondering about the same thing. My guess is the washing that I did with the 66 pair. On almost all of my jeans I usually wash at about 1 month give or take a few days. On the 66 I tried washing every 2 weeks so these were washed at least 12 times over 6 months. I am stumped on why my pair don't have any honeycombs but the front thigh and side seams are pretty faded. The thing that bothered me about the pair the most though was the color. It constantly reminded me of the cheap levis I used to wear but I like the fit quite a lot. I am currently wearing the Buzz ricksons and another pair so maybe in a years time I can get back to the canes.

15 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

lol i think i do this a lot now after I started working in food production a couple of years ago. My hands and jeans are almost always oily or full of flour so I wash my hand maybe 20x during work and wipe down my pants. Come to think of it when I was wearing the 47s I didn't have to do this so maybe thats what happened with the fades? 

15 hours ago, Lazerr said:

@mondo Nice! I’m assuming you got them from Maple? If so, it’s a hell of a deal. Can’t go wrong with that. 

Ha.. that's correct – I keep forgetting local stores are now global; I'm within walking distance of Maple. It was easier to take advantage of the free postage in this case, though. The jeans themselves... well, it ain't pretty (particularly not in the hot and humid weather we've been having), but I can get them done up, and once they are they don't feel too constrictive in the top block. Some of that is probably down to stiff buttonholes on the fly, but it won't hurt for me to stick to my intended plan of getting back to pre-COVID shape. And if I really can't manage that by the time I'm done with the contest TCBs, I should be able to move them on – although realistically, I've never sold a pair of jeans once they've been sucked into my denim acquisition vortex.

Anybody else wants a pair, Maple have them in 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34, although there's only one each of the last three sizes. International postage would possibly be about AUD$40, but you'd be getting Edo-Ai for USD$245 at most.

@mondo Yeah, its cool that I can shop a both Maple and Godspeed with ease nowadays. Covid sure has done a work on my fitness as well, luckily everything still fits, albeit a bit tight. As a collection piece though, the Edo Ai's  sure fit in nicely! 

• 2 weeks later...

i picked up a pair of the MiUSA 46’s last week. the denim is really nice and has a rougher texture. the details are really cool too. the leather patch is even a massive step above the one found on 47’s. my only complaint is the faux patina on the buttons, but that is very minor and not a real issue. i cut off most of the excess thread they came with. here are some photos after a few days of wear. 

F7357B98-4929-4DBD-9031-8BA92B83BFD1.jpeg

A5298493-7C43-4888-B667-6B950793133B.jpeg

5CEE092D-F60C-4D5D-B3FB-B00D2F03F19E.jpeg

3E71BB93-8A89-4C21-90A2-2477CDAD4A72.jpeg

3B59AECB-FE3C-4693-8C4C-A2BC046DF536.jpeg

17FDACF0-732F-4D7A-ACBA-649026160B5E.jpeg

1 hour ago, roomtemplacroix said:

i picked up a pair of the MiUSA 46’s last week. the denim is really nice and has a rougher texture. the details are really cool too. the leather patch is even a massive step above the one found on 47’s. my only complaint is the faux patina on the buttons, but that is very minor and not a real issue. i cut off most of the excess thread they came with. here are some photos after a few days of wear.

I haven't looked in detail at the MiUSA buttons (you'll have to post a few pics) but that 'faux patina' is actually rust proofing, you see it on vintage Levi's, like this pair..

fullsizeoutput_760

I personally thought Sugarcane's rendition was pretty damn accurate! at least my pair is

fullsizeoutput_20a0

...and the wax proofing/rust on the fly is also a vintage detail

IMG_7539

I thought it was a much more accurate representation than Freewheelers 47's

IMG_7884

..although they look much more convincing with wear

IMG_2186

Edited by Double 0 Soul