Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

On 9/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, julian-wolf said:

Has anyone here tried either of the new Self Edge collab jeans yet? Interested in any takes on the cut, particularly how much room there is up top 

Looking like I’m gonna be in SF this Saturday; I’ll probably end up swinging by to try them on then ‘cause why not

For anyone else interested: got a chance to try these on and they're even slimmer than the measurements suggest, both in the thighs and calves—oh well, still holding out hope that maybe one day they'll use the lot 470 fabric with one of their standard cuts

The waist seemed smaller than the regular pair as well, I'd be around a 36 in that pair. I already have the Oki's in the regular cut, was hoping that a slimmer version of the hawaii jean would come up too. Do you know if the Hawaii and the Okinawa are vastly different in terms of feel and fades? I know the ratio between cotton and sugar cane is different. 

27 minutes ago, Lazerr said:

Do you know if the Hawaii and the Okinawa are vastly different in terms of feel and fades? I know the ratio between cotton and sugar cane is different. 

Both are 50/50 blends, but the fabrics feel and look very different from each other

Why Sugarcane not producing this kind of fabrics again....such like rainbow selvedge . Are they missing the secret recipes books details weaving and threads

FB_IMG_1602247944965.jpg

FB_IMG_1602247937071.jpg

Don’t know about the rainbow-core fabrics and such, but as to the natural indigo SC40x00 models like those ^, I think they probably just weren’t very profitable—they sold for ¥30k, which is peanuts compared to the hand-dyed natural indigo offerings from most other companies…all the more so for those particular ones, the lot 400, which were also hand-folded and single-needle sewn, etc.

They were great as flagship models to show what the company was capable of, but if SC were to make them now they’d probably have to cost twice as much

Granted, this is all just speculation

@robotbox Just took them out the dryer, and they are still a tiny bit damp. I'm pretty happy with the results as I now don't have as much extra fabric bunching up near my butt. 

Waist Pre Wash: 36" , Waist Post Wash: 34.5"

Thigh Pre Wash: 13" , Thigh Post Wash: ~12.75"

Inseam Pre wash: 31", Inseam Post wash: 30.5"

I can tell these jeans stretch rather easily in the waist, so I wish I would have gone with a 34 instead (although that might have been pushing it). With more wears, I'm sure it'll be an even better fit. 

i've had my OW' 66s for a fortnight or so and love them so far.

i normally wear a 34 in most japanese denim, but amazingly took a 32 in these. i assume this is pretty rare, as i always thought SC fit smaller if anything. a 33 would be fine with a belt, but the 34 was super loose everywhere.

Edited by conqueror

The nuances in weight & texture of the 2 Oki denims are definitely distinguishable.  The top block, basically, felt the same ... I’m assuming that the fit/cut would’ve been the same or close, if they were same size.

Initial post cold wash measurements seem to suggest a shrink-from-tagged,  but after less than an hour of wear the 34.5” waist stretched out to tagged.  ‘Been grampa-sizing lately cuz of the iso paunch, but otherwise W34 would’ve been perfect.

BSP has slimmer silhouette through the legs &  almost no taper from knee to hem,  which is great for single cuffing.  Undecided on how much finished inseam I’d like to keep ... so, I sheared off unneeded length for now,  @bartlebyyphonics style.

BSP: Post cold wash measurements, BiG-style. 
w= 34.5” (stretched out to tagged after less than an hour of wear)

f/rise= 12”;  b/rise= 16.5”;  thigh= 12.5”;  knee= 8.25”;   leg openings= 8

7B58F84A-A1B0-485C-9829-DE8D96E4DDB5.thumb.jpeg.2ce0e48f895d8df7e37def13179dd9c4.jpeg

DD429E20-7588-4B72-B465-2E7B4F6EE600.thumb.jpeg.a5cf82ebd4516c5c459195605f4625e5.jpeg

Edited by BrownMetallic

I washed my pair a second time and threw them in the drier because the thighs were still pretty large, and these actually shrunk where I needed them too and I'm much happier with the fit. I could have gone with a 34W everywhere but the waist. A 35W would have been a perfect fit, but I can definitely settle for more frequent washing for a more fitted jean. 

I could see this fit working for a lot of women given the waist-hip ratio and the taper.  

21 hours ago, conqueror said:

i normally wear a 34 in most japanese denim, but amazingly took a 32 in these. i assume this is pretty rare, as i always thought SC fit smaller if anything. a 33 would be fine with a belt, but the 34 was super loose everywhere.

Agreed.

I usually wear a 36W but the SC1966 is very billowy and I fit a W34 much better.

I have both the 47s and the 66. The 47s are much bluer and the 66s fade to a more grey color. I experimented with the 66s on washing every 2 weeks so my pair doesn't have too much contrast (no fades behind the knee).The 66 denim is much more even and smooth. The waist is a bit oversized compared to the 47s which seem undersized. My 66s have gotten some nice creases in the coin pocket area and legs for some reason.

D58lMxZ.jpg

Edited by mousemouse

@conqueror thanks, they look a great fit, my old pair (around 8 or 9 years ago) in a size 32 ended up at 31” so I let them go.

iirc the measurements were:

Waist: 15.5”

Front rise: 11.5”

Back rise: 15.5”

Thigh: 12.5”

Knee: 9”

Hem: 7.75”

Edited by bod