Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

6 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

I did as well. Really awesome pair. 

What do you think of the fit?
Originally I thought they seemed too slim, but I'm reconsidering as I'd like some of the Edo Ai denim.

2 hours ago, Broark said:

What do you think of the fit?
Originally I thought they seemed too slim, but I'm reconsidering as I'd like some of the Edo Ai denim.

It’s weird, on paper I was kind of concerned that the measurements(specifically thigh and knee) were going to be borderline slim. I think the relaxed top block and high front and back rise kind of push everything a bit lower, making more room. Unless of course you wear your jeans up near your naval, rather than lower on the belt line. I wear all my jeans in the same spot, regardless of rise.

I also could have gone a size down I think. I bought 33 OW and could have went 32, but I really bought these to stash for later so it’s good to know I have some flexibility there. 

I got the Edo Ai's as well in size 34, here are the measurements that I got from Naoki in Pants Shop Avenue

OW: 

The waist is 86cm, front rise is 31cm, top thigh is 32cm and leg opening is 20cm ,inseam is 79cm.

Raw:

The waist is 90cm, front rise is 33cm, top thigh is 33cm and leg opening is 20.5cm.

I would say the thigh is pretty accurate and would consider these to be probably my slimmest SC pair (Have Okinawa's and the 2014 jeans) although it isn't a skinny jean forsure. 

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

@SuperJackle - what do the thighs measure (BiG style - at the crotch)? I can never really trust Self Edge measurements!

I’ll dig my pair out from the stash and try to get you a measurement. If I remember right it was around 12.5”. Like I said though, that measurement is deceiving in this cut. I have a pair of black type 3’s in my stash as well and I think they have the same thigh measurement but are much tighter throughout. I’ll see if I can get my wife to take some pics of the two comparing the fit. 

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

@SuperJackle - what do the thighs measure (BiG style - at the crotch)? I can never really trust Self Edge measurements!

What is with the SE measurement dislike here?  We measure everything in-house and re-measure a product if we get a new production run in from the manufacturer.  We also state how the measurements are taken on our site, which is a fairly standard way of measuring things at tailors in the US (I do understand that in Japan some measure the waist differently).  Outside of this if we feel that we're getting more returns than usual on a particular product we make sure to remeasure and update the size chart for that product to make sure it's correct.  It's literally everything we can do to get our clients the most accurate measurements. 

34 minutes ago, kiya said:

What is with the SE measurement dislike here?  We measure everything in-house and re-measure a product if we get a new production run in from the manufacturer.  We also state how the measurements are taken on our site, which is a fairly standard way of measuring things at tailors in the US (I do understand that in Japan some measure the waist differently).  Outside of this if we feel that we're getting more returns than usual on a particular product we make sure to remeasure and update the size chart for that product to make sure it's correct.  It's literally everything we can do to get our clients the most accurate measurements. 

You can lead a horse to water...

I probably phrased that in a slightly harsh manner. I’m sure Self Edge are meticulous in their measurements and I’ve bought a good number of items from there (mainly shirts though!). I just prefer the BiG thigh measurement (at the crotch itself) and somehow it seems more intuitive and meaningful to me. No criticism intended.

36 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

@kiya, how much shrinkage could we expect with a nice hot soak? Looking at the 33 or 34 but thinking 34 with a hot soak just to bring the measurements in a bit.

They've been lightly rinsed, so not as heavily rinsed as other one-wash SC jeans, so a really hot soak would yield about .5" to .75" of shrinkage in the waist and about an inch or so in the length.

49 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

So probably 0.2" in all other areas?

I'd say .2" to .4" in all other areas.

Another “find” from last weekend's clean-up:

0829852F-54DB-4068-BFDF-29874650B93A.jpeg.91c6713fa958ecaea2d9c8bbf378c30a.jpeg

...100, 200, 300, 400, 500 next to each other.

...600 is still missing, but I think I’ll manage w/o.

^^ A pair of deadstock lot 600, bag and all, went for sub-$400 just a few months ago; I was really tempted, I'll admit, but they were W36 and I try not to buy jeans just to collect

Meanwhile, those 400 and 500 are real beauts—have they seen much wear?

edit: Haven't seen any lot 701 with that little wear in at least a few years, either…jeez

Edited by julian-wolf

Those infamous ...510 - I always thought my pair already came “hard-washed”, but maybe those were just frequently washed afterwards or not indicated as such...but then the patch looks like hardly washed at all!

EB054461-875D-4649-BD18-94F3BCB33191.jpeg

C572CF7D-2D36-40E2-95BD-767C5E0A75AC.jpeg

Edited by Foxy2

38 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^^ A pair of deadstock lot 600, bag and all, went for sub-$400 just a few months ago; I was really tempted, I'll admit, but they were W36 and I try not to buy jeans just to collect

Meanwhile, those 400 and 500 are real beauts—have they seen much wear?

edit: Haven't seen any lot 701 with that little wear in at least a few years, either…jeez

Have seen a couple 600’s over the years - some still at retailers (years ago) and some at auctions, but always in odd sizes and prohibitively high prices.

didn't get to wear any of those at all - one day, if they still fit...

the 701 came to me at least 5 years ago, if not longer ago.

20 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

@Foxy2 Were the 200s hard washed when U got them?!  Those Begins are fab! @julian-wolf Got a pair ... was hoping to scoop them up, but must’ve changed his mind :(

They got to me used, looking at the patch I figured they got frequently washed. Still looking for a less washed pair...

regarding the Begin’s I wonder if having a less washed out pair would make a difference to me - I guess I wouldn’t wear them more often.