Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

@Double 0 Soul

Thank you for such a thorough response with links. I am surprised a bit because I thought the 10-oz denim would have faded much more.

No probs,

They're actually nos, the 'fading' is SC's vintage processing (hard-washed) its just a more vintage/less contrasty fade on these 10oz wide leg cuts.

All jeans start life in a raw state, most denim-heads will either buy denim 'raw' or in 'one-wash' state, ie- raw denim that has been washed once to get the majority of the shrink out so the wear will be 'your own' the fading will fit to your body shape and the jeans will look natural.
Some manufacturers offer pre-distressing where the jeans have been given the artificial appearance of wear, this looks very false although some are better at achieving the results that others.
For instance those^ carpenter pants were sold as 'hard-wash'  the whiskering you see is 'pre-distressing' along with the faded areas to the front and back, then somebody has washed them extensively ever since removing most of the indigo.
SC used to offer...Raw, One wash & Hard Wash, then around 2008 they started to offer jeans in accordance with 1yr wear (hard-wash) 5yr wear (extensive whiskering/combs) and 10yr wear (patched holes) all of which, distressed prior to sale, this kind of nonsense is generally frowned upon here but there is a market for it in the wider world..
If you compare true 'vintage' denim to the denim in our evo threads you will notice that generally speaking vintage denim has much less contrast when comparred to what folks like to acheive nowadays...the reasons for which are numerous.

Edit- It might have been 1yr, 3yr & 5yr, i can't quite remember..
Edited by Double 0 Soul

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Ah, so the pair of deeply faded denim I attached above was factory distressed? I didn't even think of that possibility.

Do you think that the denim material and dye of a NOS "104" will be similar to the pair that was pre-distressed IF they were both in Raw condition? I hope that question makes sense. 

I wonder if similar results can be achieved on a Lot "104" through wearing them or if the denim is dissimilar?

Thanks

I'm afraid so, look at the front it just screams 'pre-distressed'

il_fullxfull.1897633466_fbb4

Hmm, i doubt it, the M41104 are 10oz denim from the 90's, those carpenter pants are an 11oz denim from c2004

If you want to acheive a similar wear pattern to those carpenter pants you would have to wear them hard for 6-12months without washing and then hot wash regularly thereafter (maybe chuck a few scoops of pumice in the washing machine for good measure) personally i think they look awful, but your jeans, your choice.

I'm of the mindset that nice fades tend to result from not giving too much of a shit, just wear them hard and whatever will be, will be, i can guarantee the results will be much better than that^

Thank you for another highly informative response. I thought I knew how to spot fake fades but obviously not. All these years I have wondered how guys get washed out fades but with no blowouts at high friction areas or dirt/oil stains. By the time my own denim britches reach the level of faded indigo in the carpenter pants above, they have made many trips to my favorite BKK street seamstress for repair (attached photo). 

The reason I am interested in the lightweight Lot “104” is because I spend about 1/2 of each year in the tropics of SE Asia. I always wore LVC ‘33 & ‘37 and also 201’s   but they are too pricey these days to replace so I rely heavily on Dickies painter pants in the natural color (similar loose fit and lightweight). The only problem is I miss actual denim and well-earned stages of fade.

I thought these early 102, 104, 106 may be the solution. 

Sidenote: I always had fade envy for the motorbike taxi drivers around BKK but since reading your post I now recognize those guys have fake fade patterns. I had always thought it was the result of constant exposure to the Rainy Season and sun.

I think I will buy a Lot “104” and see how they age. I spend alot of time crawling around while performing inspections and I like how the double layer of fabric extends all the way to the waist. The early ‘80 Patagonia used to do that. 

IMG_1133.JPG

Edited by Pedro

Example of early Patagonia Double Front extending to the waist rather than the common double knee stopping mid-thigh  (a useless design). The Lot “104” is quite similar. 

613C2F23-D755-41B6-9852-96E87D248B6A.jpeg

BDE9EBAB-5FB1-4F4A-AD61-28E9BA2FA422.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

Here’s fine. For what it’s worth, all of their down vests and jackets are from the California line, which is produced in China.

Reading through this thread from the beginning provides a whole bunch of useful info of the sort that you’ve been seeking for the last couple of pages, if you have the time.

@pedro If you want that "Denver" look I would take a peek at the aptly titled Rocky Mountain Featherbed range. Although it was an American company it was bought by the guys behind Anatomica and is now produced in Japan. The price tag is high, but it's an amazing quality product. 

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Edit: Louisiana Parish.

My mistake. Should've realized from the start that "parish" didn't make all too much sense in the context of Los Angeles, but go figure. Anyhow, funny you should say that—I do have family in Metairie Parish, and I've spent time there regularly since I was a kid, but nope: Northern CA born and raised.

This page, coupled with the last couple of days of rain, is really reminding me to get back on the hunt for a vest. Off to Yahoo it is, then.

I have  that Sugarcane California vest, bought an year ago on taobao w tags removed for much less than sugarcane RRP (65 USD iirc).  It feels a bit cheap to be honest. If you want quality Rocky Mountain Featherbed it's the thing. The leather quality used for the yoke is cheap and I had to resew the collar after the first winter of wear. Fits and looks good though. For the money I paid I can't really complain.

@Double 0 Soul really enlightened me on the entire fake fade thing and I want to ask opinions on this pair of 40401 on Yahoo.

I am guessing they are a fake fade or pre-distressed but what I need help understanding is at what stage in their lifetime this likely occured. 

They are green tabbed so they are an early Hawaii? They are also missing any patch.

Was SC making these pre-distressed versions way back when? Or did someone buy these and then distress them? They don’t look like they had that much use based on the deep indigo still present. 

Any insights appreciated. Someone sure destroyed a great pair of Hawaiis.

4C9ABFE0-AF97-4EF6-98C4-4AA2ACF890F7.jpeg

AD7C17F3-112F-481E-9E1F-23972B0D7131.jpeg