Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

A couple weeks ago I won an auction for these and they finally showed up today. 

One of the last arcs and tab kakishibu lot 285. Pretty much like new condition  

818AB935-2265-4A11-B53C-13E9D11D4C5C.jpeg

3E1CD193-BED0-4E99-B5B2-66E959FF8405.jpeg

85CF6D6D-B22D-40BC-8D92-60865DF357E7.jpeg

Edited by SuperJackle

• 2 weeks later...

I watch Grailed and Ebay and I see the occasional used Okinawa come up for sale but I never see any 2nd hand Hawaii listed. 

Is this other's experience as well? 

Any idea why?

I missed a chance at a pair of Okinawa rainbow selvedge about a year ago on Ebay. It was the very early stages of my SC conversion from Levi's and I did not realize the opportunity it was. They still call my name on restless stormy nights...Lol

I am sure we each have a similar regret.  

^ Someone like Kiya would be able to say with more certainty, but based on frequency of restocks it seems like the Okinawa sells a lot more than the Hawaii in general. More jeans floating around means more on the secondhand market—simple as that. (Yeah, I've noticed the same thing.)

Do any new SC pants come with these buttons? So cool.

Like the original cloth patch on the first style 40001 or 41001? 

I am a SC fan and have bought 6 pair in 8 months but I am of the opinion they are not focusing their energy on the brand like they used to in the archives I see. Hope I am wrong.

3DC34D85-878F-417F-B066-93B60AFB1DBC.jpeg

5E200C04-71FC-4160-B2D6-C1AAFE5BC9F7.jpeg

8309F49B-FA4E-42FC-9951-026E5F0943D0.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

does anyone know how accurate the measurements Hinoya has for the sugar cane x hinyoa 70th anniversary jeans are? they're based on the 2014 model and judging from their sizing i should get a size 31 but from self edge and almost any other measurement of the original 2014 says I should order a 30

Pocket Tabs.

Those little pieces of colored fabric sewn into the rear pocket seam.

Why has SC stopped using these? I thought it was part of the Levi lawsuit but I see other brands of denim still using pocket tabs.

Canes used to have two very cool colored tabs...a rich green and a medium brown according to archived photos.

Shrinkage.

I have a pair of OW Okinawas and I have tried all my tricks to get those babies to shrink. Hot water. Hot dryer.

Nada.

I am forced to drink far more beer just to exploit those empty calories to help me fit into my 36W Okinawas.

Is this the result of the Bagasse cellulose? I just don't know enough about the characteristics of that fiber even after researching.

Edited by Pedro

1947s size 36 with tab and arcs for sale on eBay.

Edit: I see they've sold already! was that you @Broark:laugh:

They were nothing to do with me by the way, just spotted them at random.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

1947s size 36 with tab and arcs for sale on eBay.

Edit: I see they've sold already! was that you @Broark:laugh:

I can’t pull the listing up either.

They sold fast. ;-( 

Edit:

Finally got the listing to load but it must have sold locally because the Seller Note is “Will Not Ship”.

Edited by Pedro

^ Yeah, sadly not so much info floating around. Scouring 00's thread before ordering these had me thinking they might be the M41027, but other photos I've seen of those often seem to have a fuller leg. Leepros seem to be the least well-documented of the various '90s Cane's, for whatever reason.

Anyway, so far these seem really nice. The fabric's stupidly soft from the get-go, and the cut fits the niche of slim-but-not-restricting well.

What’s the usual waist stretch on the standard sugar canes from self edge? I have the 80/20 okinawa from self edge and it stretched from 34” to 36”. I think I’m needing something even more roomy, like the 1947 which I remember trying at the time. It’s a 100% cotton jean though so I wonder if it can stretch that much.

Edited by Sharik

@Sharik

From what I have read, cotton fibers are more elastic than sugar cane cellulose (bagasse). Cotton has better stretch. 

I think a 2” waist stretch is pretty great for any denim but one reason you may have gotten good stretch with an 80/20 Okinawa is that was supposed to be a loose weave. (They are the 16.25-oz?)

If you need something more roomy then why not get a 36W instead of 34W?

Does anyone have a Lot 303 in 34W they want to sell?

Or a rainbow Okinawa (34W or 36W)?

I missed the opportunities to buy each of these in the past year and its keeping me awake nights.

Edited by Pedro

On 3/16/2019 at 10:55 AM, cusswords said:

I'm currently bidding on an old blanket lined Storm Rider style Sugar Cane jacket on yahoo auctions. Does anyone have any info on Sugar Cane lee repros? I'm mostly curious when they were made and what denim was used, but search results on here, denimbro, and google yield no information. 

Did you win this auction?

Any photos?

thanks

30 minutes ago, Pedro said:

@Sharik

From what I have read, cotton fibers are more elastic than sugar cane cellulose (bagasse). Cotton has better stretch. 

I think a 2” waist stretch is pretty great for any denim but one reason you may have gotten good stretch with an 80/20 Okinawa is that was supposed to be a loose weave. (They are the 16.25-oz?)

If you need something more roomy then why not get a 36W instead of 34W?

Yeah, 16.25oz. Given how well these breath, they might be loose weave, but I don’t know.

And 36, maybe because they’ll stretch to be too wide. At 36 I’ll be looking at other fits, I’m sure 1947 will be super baggy.

Edited by Sharik

Regarding my above posts: seems like the Riders are most likely the MP-619? That would make them older than me!

34 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Does anyone have a Lot 303 in 34W they want to sell?

Or a rainbow Okinawa (34W or 36W)?

I missed the opportunities to buy each of these in the past year and its keeping me awake nights.

The lot 303 is just from around a year ago; that should still be in stock here and there if you search around some

Finding the lot 701 will take some major luck

Meanwhile, just won a pair of persimmon lot 285 in my size this weekend that look like they're still rigid! Really looking forward to trying those out; I've been after a pair for a while