Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Is it typical to receive these detergent packets with SC purchases? 

The one is clearly marked “Detergent” but the other is only marked “Treatment”.

DC560E1E-3295-488C-8C07-FE1A7A556A5F.jpeg

5F07A1EE-4434-4C4B-A30C-24D35F5D6604.jpeg

OK, I read the treatment should not be washed off but there is no description of what the chemical actually is, its supposed to cut down on bacteria growth so more enzymes?

https://www.heddels.com/2011/05/sugar-cane-soap-vintage-wash-premium-care-detergent/

6137BA8B-E17F-4075-9F99-12063E0DFDEA.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

@Pedro I got those with my Hawaii pair from Pants Shop Avenue. Doubt I'll ever wash using them. 

@501XX4EVER I had a pair of the 2014 years ago, denim is nice and light and good for warmer weather. If I remember right they gave me a bit of diaper butt. Wish they would make the standard 1947 cut with that denim. 

5 minutes ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

@501XX4EVER I had a pair of the 2014 years ago, denim is nice and light and good for warmer weather. If I remember right they gave me a bit of diaper butt. Wish they would make the standard 1947 cut with that denim. 

Thanks, yea, I saw a few fit pics on some retailers websites with that kind of look but I thought that maybe it was just because they were new.

Edited by 501XX4EVER

13 minutes ago, 501XX4EVER said:

Is there any love for the 2014 model on the forum, anyone have a pair?

This is the last good photo of my pair that I wore for about a year. The cut is way too slim for me now and the denim is a little too gray for my tastes. These are great jeans and I’m considering getting a pair of  1966 Canes now that they are being produced in Japan again. 

F725E6F6-53E6-4651-B767-3734F3DEEEF7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@Foxy2

Following up on the cultural practice of using a clothes dryer, I  came across this article which states many residential areas of the US prohibit the use of clotheslines in the yard.

Ofcourse, I live in “fly-over” country where personal freedoms are respected...Lol

“Live and Let Live” includes “Line Dry and Let Line Dry”.

From The New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/garden/12clothesline.html

Edited by Pedro

@Pedro

yeah - read about this, too. I think the rise of the dryer in the US actually does predates this more recent phenomenon, though.

about a year or two ago there was a thread on reddit on dryers which exploded a bit.
just another one of these things that only make sense in the US - like helicopter parenting and car parades when dropping of kids at the school.
seems like they love wasting energy and are into conspiracy theories and fake science about laundry getting soiled and contaminated when line drying - at least partially.

there was also another nice article somewhere on the web by an American living in the UK about his perception that dryers in the UK are actually not working properly and, therefore, are present but not used.

I have been searching archives and various JP "2nd-hand" auction sites and SC has made such cool styles of denim over the years. Does it seem that they are no longer offering the creative designs they used to?

Also, the fades on older 1947's with the broken arcuates are often amazing. Is the denim identical now as those earlier pair? I don't see examples of post-arcuate 1947's with equivalent fades. For that matter, its the same with the old Hawaiis.

Edited by Pedro

@JDelage

That is my impression as well...a conservative lineup.

I just wasn't sure if it was the creators of SC denim that have possibly re-focused their attention away from SC or if they continue to be enthusiastic but the consumer is more conservative?

I am also very recent to SC so have no idea.

Edited by Pedro

9 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

@Pedro, After repeated wearing + washing, the inseam measures 32.5". 

Thanks for this info as it gives me insight on the 50/50 denim.

34W-RAW is reported 35”-35.5” 

34W-OW is reported 33”

BTW, I recall you occasionally use a clothes dryer. Are your 401’s sometimes dried in a machine?

Pedro

Edited by Pedro

10 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Yeah, these have been through the dryer a few times

33–33.5" is about right for most once-washed 50/50 Cane's I've seen, and they all shrink a bit more in the inseam over time

This is really helpful.

I might try buying Raw and then hand stretching the length whenever I soak/wash.

I have had luck doing that with LVC but still a rookie with SC.

When I do this, I think the stretch is actually targeting the weave of the fabric rather than elongating the cotton fibers. Sound right?

Edited by Pedro

The last time I pointed out a pair of SC on Ebay which I thought were rare, they wound up being commonplace.

You think I would have learned my lesson then but here I go again. If they were for equatorially challenged 36W I would buy them.

SUGAR CANE EDO AI DENIM JEANS 32 Selvage New with Tags Japan. 

Edited by Pedro

smart move to check here.

those are SC40501A mixed indigo - you are probably looking for SC40500N with 100% natural indigo...

SC40501A should have at least 10% natural indigo, if not more - the rest is synthetic indigo - the seller forgot to specify that.

Edited by Foxy2

14 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Doesn't @chicote have a pair of those? Think I've seen those somewhere
How do they hold up?

I have a pair in 31 that I’ve been wearing on and off for a few years. Theyve held up well for me. No real evo to speak of on my pair though. 

It’s crazy that they still have a pair. I think I bought mine in 2015, and it was one of the last sizes then. 

9 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

@SuperJackle Do you have waist measurements of your pair? The pair Naoki measured for me came out quite small in the waist and was still raw, depending on shrinkage they'll end up too small...

If I remember correctly they measured 16” raw. I remember putting a hanger in the waist to keep them from shrinking too much. After that I just washed normal and they definitely shrunk a tad below tag size. They probably measure about 15.5” after a wash. 

On 3/1/2015 at 4:46 PM, chicote said:

Ah, thank you Maynard! Glad to hear you like them.

Jackie, here are my pre-wash measurements for tag size 29

Waist: 80 cm
Front Rise: 30
Back Rise: 38.5
Thigh: 30
Knee: 23
Hem: 22
Inseam: 85

edit: and post-wash--

Waist: 72
Front Rise: 28
Back Rise: 36
Thigh: 28
Knee: 21.5
Hem: 20.5
Inseam: 80

Seems very similar to the measurements from my Red Cloud R400s, which are a '47 cut if I remember correctly.

Edit: was able to find chicote’s response to my question toward measurements:

Edited by SuperJackle