Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I'm currently bidding on an old blanket lined Storm Rider style Sugar Cane jacket on yahoo auctions. Does anyone have any info on Sugar Cane lee repros? I'm mostly curious when they were made and what denim was used, but search results on here, denimbro, and google yield no information. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, Pedro said:

Is the SC41947 in the 100% Cotton considered a "loomstate" or untreated denim?

The reason I ask is that its so "hairy".

-thanks

Pedro, I am not sure. I have the one wash pair, the denim is great. After a warm soak, leg twist happens and they shrink just a touch. 

I've never seen or felt their unwashed pairs. All of them are unsanforized. Most of them are one washed though. Pants Shop Avenue has non wash, Self Edge may have a couple pairs left. 

I wouldn't mind hearing more on this from those that know more though. 

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Well that is really life affirming...lol

Are you one of them? Do they have a special handshake or anything so that they know who each other are?

Why do they do it routinely?

Are they experiencing alot of stretch and trying to shrink it back out? I am wondering if that will be the case with these 36W of mine.

I live in a humid environment of the tropics and my clothes air dry. The only thing I use the dryer for is to snug up the elastic on my briefs and the neck on my t-shirts....

I'm one of those afraid of the dryer types lol. I think they either like the way their jeans fade with routine dryer-drying or are too impatient to hang dry their clothes? I noticed that it is usually the guys who wear repro brands like TCB and Warehouse and guys who wear more straight-ish cuts. You can pose the question in the Denim Blunders/Reflection/General Nonsense thread if you want their answers. 

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Why do they [put their pants through the dryer] routinely?

I guess I just don't like waiting two days for my pants to dry when it's not sunny out

Edited by julian-wolf
quote clarity

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

What has your experience been with the post-wash dimensions of you Raw Hawaii? How many wash cycles have you now given?

Thanks

About two months of wear, fades surprisingly showing already. 

Only one initial hot hand wash. They lost a ton of indigo, and pretty much lined up with one wash measurements for the given size. I do not have the raw measurements though. 

On 3/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, Pedro said:

Well it certainly looks like I am in good company if you use a dryer.

Have you found any drawback?

I know cotton fiber releases dye quicker at higher temps when exposed to friction but I think turning them inside out prevents the majority of friction.

Kind of funny you would be the one to respond. I had my braid cut off yesterday after many years. I woke up with a remorse I would never wish on anyone. 

Thanks for your insight.

I've had bad luck with the spin cycle of the washing machine, but never with the dryer. Overall, I don't really like how fluffy (for lack of a better word) clothes feel after coming out of the dryer, so I do prefer air drying when possible, but when it's not sunny out that's just too much of a hassle.

I never use the dryer on anything above "low" for any of my clothes (besides when I actively want to shrink something), so I guess I don't expect the effects on the dye to be too serious…if anything's gonna do damage, it's gonna be the tumbling itself, and the washer's already doing plenty of that

On 3/17/2019 at 1:16 AM, Pedro said:

I know the standard philosophy is to never put denim in a dryer but I really do think this recommendation could use some fresh eyes.

Its almost like suggesting placing denim in the dryer is akin to blasphemy but I can’t find any reason why.

We all know that a raw denim is x-ounces and after the fibers are exposed to a wash and become saturated and then dry that the weight increases about 10% as the fabric becomes more dense.

Well based on my experience with trying to shrink these SC41947 in a hot dryer, I can say it feels like the denim fabric weight increased  more like 15%. 

Anyway, for those who like to experiment with their jeans and have a pair that is too baggy for one reason or another, why not give a very hot dryer a try with jeans turned inside out? 

My own understanding of people's different approach to dryers is that it is at least partially cultural - if you live in a moderate or hot climate you simply don't have and/or need a dryer.

I grew up thinking that taking a shower twice a day, washing all of your garments every single day, having giant sized washing machines and giant sized dryers in addition is a massive waste of money, water and electricity - not to speak of the use of fabric softeners...
I am not arguing that they are not convenient or very useful in less dry climates.

the other argument against dryers is what they can do to pleats & ceases and to leather patches if you are not careful.

now, we have most washing machines with integrated dryers and I only use that function every blue moon (after thinking twice) - there are no short-cuts in live!

I have a washer-drier and the drier is only ever used for towels (as it softens then) and drying my kids school clothes in an emeegency if they are still damp. That’s it and I live in London, which isn’t particularly warm. Like Foxy, I see regular use of the drier as unnecessary and not environmentally friendly.

yeah, dryers are definitely very US centric: most americans i've met seem to to use them for absolutely everything. in the UK and australia i've owned a dryer as well, but like MF i only ever really use it for towels and bed sheets. i could easily go without one if needed.

Edited by conqueror