Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

On 10/7/2005 at 11:50 AM, mufasa said:

I just got a pair of sugarcanes in the mail today. They are unwashed 31's (usually where 30). Right now they feel quite baggy for my liking, particurally around the knees. What's the best way I can get them to shrink or should I try to return them for a size or two down? I wash thinking I might sit in the bathtub for a while to get them to shrink. (I didn't want to wash them but they feel to big now)

I am interested in other answers since I am new to SC but with LVC a long hot water soak would result in much color loss and wearing them in the tub would prevent the fibers from shrinking to their maximum potential. Wearing them wet is a good technique to stretch them but I have not heard a good argument on why it would help to shrink them.

Thoughts?

I've never had pre-washed Cane's shrink significantly anywhere besides the inseam; I wouldn't bet on being able to cut down on "bagginess" with a wash. If you do try to, the bathtub's no way to do it: a hot wash and a trip through the dryer will be your best bet. That said, exchanging for a size down—or, better yet, a different cut with less room through the knees—is much more likely to result in a pair of jeans you're happy wearing.

Hello,

I like the strong contrasts found in the pants on the right.

Which SC are most likely to provide that? Will the Okinawa and Hawaii fade out like that or does it require a 100% cotton denim?

Thankyou for any suggestions and insight.

Pedro

B9FD90B4-6AE3-4504-99DD-2A15E080EB0E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

That looks like a pair of 1947s.

Are you referring to the Zimbabwe cotton 1947 option from SC?

I would love to find a pair but HistoryPreservation is out of the “equatorally challenged” sizes.

19 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I've never had pre-washed Cane's shrink significantly anywhere besides the inseam; I wouldn't bet on being able to cut down on "bagginess" with a wash. If you do try to, the bathtub's no way to do it: a hot wash and a trip through the dryer will be your best bet. 

This is very helpful.

It seems my LVCs have never stopped shrinking over years. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, ecsong187 said:

Would buy if they weren’t tiny waist!! 

You and me both

If these were a 32 or a 33 I wouldn't've waited 10 minutes between seeing them and bidding

Edited by julian-wolf

On 11/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

It depends on the way the denim is dyed (there are so many possibilities) but also how hard the jeans were worn and how often washed. 

Thanks. I have experimented for years with the external environmental factors but its the fibers and dyes which you mention that I want to understand better.

I have been interested in natural fibers from when I became involved in maritime history and sailing a few decades back and I am quite excited to see the return of hemp as a commercial textile by brands like Patagonia.

Its this background along with my own grandfather’s background in sugarcane farming that originally sparked my interest in the hybrid fabrics of SC denim.

This forum is like sensory overload.

-pedro

My Okinawas are a bit edit:roomy in 36x34 so I cold-water washed and tumble dried on high heat. My hope was to avoid losing too much color and since its an old dryer, it gets quite hot.

I think the only shrinkage was 1” in length; however, the roominess still remains.

How is the fit on the SC41947 that is 100% Zimbabwe cotton compared to the Okinawa? Will they shrink more than the hybrid material?

I have just lost the incentive to lose weight...Lol

-pedro

Edited by Pedro

The fit on the 1947 is pretty close to the Okinawa so if the Okinawa is too baggy, you'll find the 1947 too baggy too. If you're not into a looser fit, you should look into their slimmer models (2009, 2014, OKBSP) 

40 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

The fit on the 1947 is pretty close to the Okinawa so if the Okinawa is too baggy, you'll find the 1947 too baggy too. If you're not into a looser fit, you should look into their slimmer models (2009, 2014, OKBSP) 

Thanks. I described it poorly. I like the loose fit of the ‘33, ‘37, ‘55.

Its just that I am a 35” waist so the 36” has a bit more room than I need. I am used to LVC which seem to never stop shrinking so leeson learned now that I am an SC convert.

It is my understanding that sugarcane fiber does not shrink as much as cotton.

-pedro

Import Duties?

Are there Import Duties when purchasing items from Japan and delivering into the US?

I was just walloped with a hefty Duty by importing into Thailand.

-pedro

Edited by Pedro

When was the last time SC made the 1955? Is it correct the 1955 was only made with a zipper fly? 

If it did offer a button fly then any idea where I could still find a 34”W or 36”W?

thanks

Edited by Pedro

Raw un-rinsed options?

I now own two SC pants. 

One pair “used” Okinawas

One pair of “new” SC41947  

Note: both of these are described as  “one-wash” UN-Sanforized (edit) denim and also called “rinsed” in the description.

Until now, I have always owned Levis STF in raw or rigid.

I do not do an initial pre-soak because I like the inky indigo fades.

Does SC make any of these 1947, Okinawa or Hawaii in an unwashed “raw” version? I can find old ads for Union Star in raw and also the 2009 Type 2 but the Type 2 cut is definitely not flattering to my burrito loving body.

Thanks

-pedro

Edited by Pedro

I have been a devout Levis STF guy my entire 60 years (ok, there were a few early childhood years when the only jeans I ever got were hand-me-down Sears Toughskins from older brothers and neighborhood kids...those things never wear out) but now having compared side-by-side, I must say I am left with strong disappointment in the profit choices Levis has made over the years. The SC quality is so good. 

My Levis pocket bag (with all the repairs) vs SC 1947. 

Fans of bb pocket polo might find benefit to Levis but my future money is on SC.

17F5BB2D-4944-4A10-9FE7-CB7CFAC1C45F.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

The two pairs you have are one-washed, but they're certainly not sanforized. None of Sugar Cane's main fabrics are sanforized, as far as I know.

As far as buying non-wash goes, your best options are History Preservation or Pants Shop Avenue. Between these two, all of Sugar Cane's current offerings should be available in non-wash. Look for product numbers ending in N, rather than A.