Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Picked up a pair yesterday. The denim is dark and has some slub and hairiness but I find it to be very breathable. The little extra weight isn’t that noticeable. The pocket bags are also very nice. 

Edited by Ciabatta

Well the black Melton wool sports jacket I ordered arrived and it is an absolutely beautiful jacket and the details on it are incredible. Unfortunately I think it might be on the small side for me (went with a 38) so I may be reselling it. Will get some pictures up after work today!

No - I'mm getting ready to go to France for the week and I don't have the time to do that. I can tell you that they fit as expected. The jeans are true to size and the inseam must be 33" or so - I can wear it now with a single cuff. The jacket is nice and substantial, with plenty of room at the top but a fairly narrow waist. Both items are one-washed & reasonably supple from the get go.

Quick fit pic, managed to get this before it started pouring down. Will hopefully get some better pics up this weekend and some more detail shots. Really love the jacket but the body and sleeve length still feel short. I may try rocking it for a little bit before I decide if I should keep it/sell it. 

38FE5AEE-A13E-441E-A5E2-359DCA3D3E65.jpeg

So I really want a pair of SC to add to my collection. If you could only own one pair which pair would you buy? 

Which cut should I get? I typically wear high rise cowboy cut denim from WH Ranch Dungarees. 

Also wear straight leg cuts from ROY

Or the new lot 304, which has the same cut.

Lot 304: https://bookshelf.wisebook4.jp/html/toyoenterprise/26669/#4

Hawaii & Oki: https://bookshelf.wisebook4.jp/html/toyoenterprise/26669/#8

I'm not sure that any of those is LHT. I think they all are right hand twill. Of the 3 above, the Oki (SC40301) are the only ones available in a non wash version. All are available in a 1 wash version.

EDIT: Now that I look at the catalog page, it does seem that the legs of the Oki and Hawaii are twisting differently. We need someone who can read Jpz...

Edited by JDelage

@ecsong187 SC47s are quite fabulous, if understated, and would be great to see juxtaposed to Roy's black seed cone denim. But...Okis are on another level; they're exceedingly rewarding as they go through a series of distinct stages of evolution. 

Also, you can always get unwashed versions of 47s, okis, hawaii, & 2009 stateside from history preservation associates.

1 hour ago, JDelage said:

Or the new lot 304, which has the same cut.

Lot 304: https://bookshelf.wisebook4.jp/html/toyoenterprise/26669/#4

Hawaii & Oki: https://bookshelf.wisebook4.jp/html/toyoenterprise/26669/#8

I'm not sure that any of those is LHT. I think they all are right hand twill. Of the 3 above, the Oki (SC40301) are the only ones available in a non wash version. All are available in a 1 wash version.

EDIT: Now that I look at the catalog page, it does seem that the legs of the Oki and Hawaii are twisting differently. We need someone who can read Jpz...

The standard Okinawa fabric is indeed LHT.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ciabatta said:

Always tts with sugar cane. 

unless it's one from the old natural indigo series...

Edited by Foxy2

Hi guys, 

I just got my first Sugarcane type 1 jacket 16.25 oz. 

The fabric is awesome, I really like it. However,  it seems to be quite large for me, especially with the back and sleeves. 

I'm wondering should I do a hot soak to make it shrink a little bit before wearing? 

Thanks guys! 

1.thumb.jpg.e2c94d5f9501d8ce231809cf1960e8e7.jpg

Edited by laismemoir

@laismemoir I have the same jacket in one wash. I put it in the washer right after purchasing just to make sure all the shrinkage was out and the measurements barely budged. If its too big, best to size down. I'm 5'11", 170 lbs with an athletic build. I ordered both a 40 and a 42. I could only fit a t shirt underneath the 40 so I went with the 42 since I wanted to layer and have more freedom of movement

Edited by theguywhoknewthatguy

3 hours ago, laismemoir said:

Hi guys, 

I just got my first Sugarcane type 1 jacket 16.25 oz. 

The fabric is awesome, I really like it. However,  it seems to be quite large for me, especially with the back and sleeves. 

I'm wondering should I do a hot soak to make it shrink a little bit before wearing? 

Thanks guys! 

It looks like you got the one-wash version, meaning you definitely need a full size down because that industrial washing/drying process gets rid of nearly all of the shrinkage in that denim.    I would get one size down in the one-wash or better yet get a raw version of the jacket in one size down and do your own at-home soak.

SugarCane Raw vs One Wash.

1st Post.

Just bought 1st pair “used” Okinawa after years as dedicated LVC. (A little loose fitting on me 36x34).

Very impressed with SC and want to buy more. Next up are the Hawaii.

I always cold soaked my Raw LVC and I am curious the pros and cons of the SugarCane Raw vs One-Wash concerning shrinking and fade.

Thanks 

Edited by Pedro