Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

On 31.5.2018 at 7:01 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Have a look at these Lee 101Bs, made by Edwin, they’re a full cut. I had the Lee Cowboy 1936 in a 30w which started at about 33” and shrunk to 32”. I’d imagine these may be similarly oversized.

Lee 101 are not made by Edwin (Europe). They are made by Denim Authority which also makes Edwin and some Nudies. If you compare 101 and Edwin side by side, it's obvious they are from the same manufacturer. Good quality Jeans.

Thanks for the info although I never claimed they were made by Edwin (Europe). I thought they were made under license by Edwin Japan, which was the commonly held view here. I didnt realise Edwin was owned by Denim Authority. Having owned 2 pairs of 101Bs and 5 pairs of Japanese-made Waynesville, I had noticed the similarities, especially on the wash tags.

Incidentally, we’re not talking about the Lee 101 label here (which I think is made in Europe), but Lee Japan, which, as far as I’m aware have been made under license at various times by Edwin, Warehouse and Real McCoy.

I own a pair of those 101B and they are indeed made by Edwin. VF Corporation licenses out the Lee (and Wrangler) name to various companies, as well as producing their own in various territories (the initial Euro reissues were all designed in-house using Japanese denim for Lee and Turkish for Wrangler). I assume that the 101 mentioned by ushokmwn are produced for Lee Europe by Denim Authority in Tunisia, like most current brands that contract out production. Before that they were made in Eire, Poland and other locations.

In one country they might well license the name to various people (eg kids jeans are often licensed separately) although the last time I sat down with one of their peeps, last summer, I got the impression that in China and Hong Kong they seem to be taking the brand back under more direct control - although still contracting out production I guess.

[Edit, to take the thread even more OT, I was told that Lee are focusing heavily on the Far East, and although the brand's limited to the mid West, and old folks, in the USA, they claim to be far outselling Levi's in China].

Edited by Paul T

Yes, I meant Jeans like the Lee 101 S and Z and Edwin Nashville, ED-55 etc. which you can buy here in Europe. DA only produces these Jeans. I don't think they own the brand or licensed it. For the true japanophile connoisseurs Edwin Europe also sells some models made in nameless Japanese factories. I thought that was the only connection the Edwin brand has to Japan nowadays.

Cross post from WAYFT thread.

Bit of a proud moment today that my 4year old managed to climb up (almost) 10,000 feet above sea level today to Tiger Nest, Bhutan. I got married here 7 years ago and I thought what better way to break in a pair of SugarCane 2014 jeans. It was raining, there was some horse riding, lot of slush and lot of walking. I guess you could break in any pair if you did this trek.

IMG_2820.JPG

fullsizeoutput_7d2.jpeg

A low-effort post to keep the streak of activity going in this thread:

pwRcL2G.jpg

Hem of my lot 401s after maybe a year or so of regular wear + washes…it always amazes me how much indigo has bled into the weft of these.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, Akruk33 said:

recently picked these up but the fit just really doesnt work for me. will let them go for a decent price

20180621_170752.thumb.jpg.02e783bfb8db8c606d0159940d95f0b8.jpg

If anyone is interested I just listed these starting at 99 cents on ebay along with a pair of new/cheap 2014's. have at em

On 7/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, Akruk33 said:

If anyone is interested I just listed these starting at 99 cents on ebay along with a pair of new/cheap 2014's. have at em

Sugar Cane USA? That one I haven't heard about. Good stuff to read about on a lazy weekend :)

Welcome, @Thanks_M8! I've been interested in those jeans for a while, and I've looked around some but haven't been able to find ton of examples of them. B the change you (and I) want to see: throw up some detail shots of the fabric, when you get a chance!

and, in other news: Recently got in a pair of new (once-washed) persimmon-dyed lot 302 jeans tagged 32 that I think will end up being too slim in the thighs. If anyone here's interested, I'd give first dibs before posting to the usual marketplaces. (No guarantee yet that I'll be selling them, but it seems likely.)

Edited by julian-wolf
typo

Thanks for the warm welcome @julian-wolf ! Took some pictures just now.
https://imgur.com/a/8XJZraS (sorry, haven't figured out the uploading-thingy yet)
The weft has quite the grey cast to it and the denim is kinda scratchy, which probably comes from the wool/sugarcane in the fibers. 
Overall the denim feels heavier than the stated 12oz, more like a 14/15oz denim.

Edited by Thanks_M8
took pictures, added pictures

Thanks @JDelage, classic straight fit, not too loose or too slim with enough thigh room.

They're supposed to be the classic 1947 fit, I think. Haven't soaked or washed them, yet.
I got them through Naoki from Pants Shop Avenue, can only recommend the shop to anyone! Great customer service and super fast shipping.

https://imgur.com/a/CScsieb Here's a quick fit pic,.for reference: I'm about 1,78cm, about 70kg and these are size 30. I think they'll shrink up just right. Naoki said they wouldn't shrink much because of the sugarcane-fiber content, but let's see.

Need to take some good fit pics sometime...

Edited by Thanks_M8

Fabric looks really interesting—more regular than most of their current lineup w.r.t. yarn thickness, but super hairy / matted. I look forward to seeing how they shrink up, and how the fabric changes.

nice!

Samurai did a cotton/wool blend a couple of years back for one model of the seasonal blend series of their Yamato line - made for a nice winter jeans.
(Should try to dig my pair out for comparison.)

for some reason, I think that SDA also did a similar blend, but I am not certain.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:45 AM, Thanks_M8 said:

Thanks @JDelage, classic straight fit, not too loose or too slim with enough thigh room.

They're supposed to be the classic 1947 fit, I think. Haven't soaked or washed them, yet.
I got them through Naoki from Pants Shop Avenue, can only recommend the shop to anyone! Great customer service and super fast shipping.

https://imgur.com/a/CScsieb Here's a quick fit pic,.for reference: I'm about 1,78cm, about 70kg and these are size 30. I think they'll shrink up just right. Naoki said they wouldn't shrink much because of the sugarcane-fiber content, but let's see.

Need to take some good fit pics sometime...

Any chance you can take some post wash measurements? I'm very interested in these and you're my size B)

22 hours ago, Hendsch said:

Any chance you can take some post wash measurements? I'm very interested in these and you're my size B)

Haven't washed these yet, but can give you the raw measurements, all laid flat. Naoki said they wouldn't shrink much, just about an inch, so I should be expecting about 38,5cm in the waist after washing.
waist, single: 41cm
thigh  at the crotch seam: 31,5cm
knee: 23cm
leg opening: 21cm
inseam: 92cm
front rise: 29cm
back rise: 41cm

Edited by Thanks_M8