Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

^ & ^^ Thanks, both! I think a big part of it is that I have fairly large thighs (as compared to my waist), which helps them drape like a much slimmer cut might drape on someone with slimmer legs. I've seen their 1947 work well on folks of all sorts of different builds, but it's particularly well-suited to the bigger-legged sector.

The hip flare around the rear pockets is very real, but not too pronounced once the fabric softens up.

7 hours ago, tchengaa said:

Apology for the crappy phone photos but i'd like to know whether my fit in sugarcane 1947 (standard) looks gd or not. thanks ~

IMG_20180409_225208.jpg

@tchengaa Looks good. The hip flare and room across the lap/seat will settle down a bit with more wear and as creases develop. That said, I would recommend cuffing higher so you eliminate the break; the legs will drape nicer. Check the cuffs on @julian-wolf's hawaiis just above, for one example.

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

On 3/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, mondo said:

The 47s, 66s and a persimmon-dyed pair have all got damaged patches, but to be fair the last two have paper patches

Have your kakishibu pair changed much in the wash? I have a pair and I love the color, hope it will stay relatively close. Not sure how much Sugar Cane kakishibu runs in the wash, but my kakishibu Kapital stuff hasn't.

here is a Persimon-dyed jacket most certainly (so I was told) using a denim from Nihon Menpu - it has an heavier wash finish and should give you a rough idea about the effect of regular washes...

6431e300ff0a53ac4e71ab1bda7e65c8_zpsfe6b

c794ab84ec46ad0ddfd2acd5cde8aa79_zps7a6d]

066a6d7d1949c8cafc6f4030638ad991_zpsb660

bbe61a6f6cffb0644bd44991c8853861_zps7f8d

5ae37b4fba7570af05fc423e158ba201_zpse359

Cool thanks folks. Just grabbed two grails of mine, the deadstock heavy chambray Okinawas with exposed rivets and red stiching and a pair of slub kakishibu jeans with the old broken arcs and CANES tab!

I can't go to any brand other than Sugar Cane or Kapital any more, the price for the fabric quality and durability is just too good. Haven't bought anything else in years and as fun as the hunt was back in the day, I really enjoy having a uniform.

I also got me some sugarcanes 2009 in size 34. Can anybody report on stretch / shrinkage? Theyre really tight in the top block (muffin top) and im unsure wether to size up (which would give me way too wide legs) or try to stretch them. But id need 1.5" and will wash them frequently...

20180421_145608.jpg

20180421_145622.jpg

20180421_145547.jpg

20180421_145514.jpg

20180421_145643.jpg

20180421_145701.jpg

20180421_145608.jpg

Edited by Max Power

@superheavent 

I wear a 29 or a 30 in most jeans. I have 29 in TCB 50s and Slim 50s. Size 30 in TCB 60s (waist fits good with a roomy top block). Size 29 Boncoura 66. 

I went with a size 30 for the 2009 , mostly on account of the slim legs. The legs  are slimmer than your average straight fit. I only have a little bit of wear in them, so I can't say how the stretch will be, but I'm happy with the fit so far. 

These are the measurements after I ran them through a hot wash (they are one- wash , but I'm obsessive about getting the shrinkage out. The only change was a small loss in length and negligible difference in leg opening.)

Waist 31"

Thigh 11"

Rise 10.5"

Inseam 32.5"

Leg opening 7.75"

@Max Power I did a hot wash before wear and Measure hardly any difference. Sugar Cane seems to shrink the hell out of their stuff. I think sizing up would be safe if you plan to wash frequently. If they are right now, they will be tight after every wash. How are the thighs on the 34? Reviews say these stretch out quite a lot. 

Edited by istewi

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I also got me some sugarcanes 2009 in size 34. Can anybody report on stretch / shrinkage? Theyre really tight in the top block (muffin top) and im unsure wether to size up (which would give me way too wide legs) or try to stretch them. But id need 1.5" and will wash them frequently...

Bigger guy here and my 2009 def had a ton of stretch to them. Size 36 but I'm sure they're close to 37" - 37.5" in the waist currently.

Thanks for all the responses! I made some crappy fitpics, maybe this helps.

The 2014 in 36could be an option but besides the larger waist and a slightly longer rise it seems to run similar in the legs as the 2009 in 34. If i can get the waist to stretch 1.5 and they dont shrink more (thanks for the  information) i might be fine.

The denim is so nice i would love to make them my summer pair.

20180422_071614.jpg

20180422_071604.jpg

20180422_071510.jpg

20180422_071537.jpg

20180422_071522.jpg

20180422_071614.jpg

Edited by Max Power

@Max Power from what I can see they don't look super tight or anything and the thighs look more relaxed than mine. You'll probably get enough stretch out of them. You could always hand stretch the waist after washing too. They do seems to have all the shrink out on the one wash version. 

There are plenty of accessible proxy services—Buyee is the only one that I have any experience with, but from-japan, one-jp, and others are mentioned now and then. In any case, looks like they're once-washed, so I'd expect a little shrinkage in the length and nowhere else if anything

On 4/13/2018 at 1:16 AM, Planetarium said:

Cool thanks folks. Just grabbed two grails of mine, the deadstock heavy chambray Okinawas with exposed rivets and red stiching and a pair of slub kakishibu jeans with the old broken arcs and CANES tab!

I can't go to any brand other than Sugar Cane or Kapital any more, the price for the fabric quality and durability is just too good. Haven't bought anything else in years and as fun as the hunt was back in the day, I really enjoy having a uniform.

I agree. They’re one of the older brands so I think theyve streamlined their production process. They seem to last longer than the other “fancy” brands I’ve owned too. Try Japan Blue or Denime also, they’re older larger companies and prices are a lot lower than the smaller boutique brands.

Sugar Cane tops are really cool too, but they are really expensive and in line with other brands pricewise. 

Edited by brainmonster