Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

1 hour ago, youngofthesoonest said:

Yeah it’s the new 16.5oz Okinawa denim but in a slim tapered fit that still has a decent mid rise and some thigh room but with a stronger taper than the 2014. It also hasn’t been washed. 

Sounds great. I'm sure it'll be "expensive"

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. For those of you with SC47’s, just curious where they sit on you. I’ve found that I basically have to hike them up over my belly button (and therefore halfway up my back with the rear rise) for the crotch/thighs/etc to line up where they are supposed to. This is fine when I’m standing, but as soon as I sit or bend over they slide down below my belly to my hips, even with my belt cinched tightly.  

I’m normally a 36 in most jeans (LVC 47s 1-wash have been my go-to for the last decade), and need my jeans to end up with a measured waist around 37”, so I ordered a size 38 in the SC47 1-wash bc the waist on the size 36 looked like it would be too small in the SE measurements.  I may just be between sizes, in which case the answer may be that I need to lose 15-20 lb’s and then get the 36s haha.

Maybe I’m just not used to a high rise, but it gets annoying pulling my pants back up over my belly 100 times a day. Love the denim, details, and drape, but thinking about selling these as a result. 

My 47 was tight as hell when I first wore them.  Now, at the same weight I was last year, they're almost too big as they have stretched a lot.  I have grab my crotch and pull up when I sit in the truck due to the long rise.

One thing I'm wondering right now since I just got a new pair of denim that has the same tightness like the first wearing of my 47s, did I wear my chain wallet during first wears without a belt, or not.  I'm debating on going beltless and without chain during my first wears of my new Trophy denim.

Alright, y'all convinced me to believe in the stretch.  All the other dimensions on the 36 are what I want, so I'm going to give them a go.

If anyone is interested in my 38's (hemmed to 32 at Austin Denim Repair) with about a month of wear and 2 washes on them, let me know.  

13 hours ago, Bbressler said:

Alright, y'all convinced me to believe in the stretch.  All the other dimensions on the 36 are what I want, so I'm going to give them a go.

If anyone is interested in my 38's (hemmed to 32 at Austin Denim Repair) with about a month of wear and 2 washes on them, let me know.  

Send me the current measurements & pics via PM please.

1947 36’s came in from PSA (how great is Naoki, btw) and are perfect everywhere but the tiny waist. Measures 17 across, so hoping they’ll stretch out as much as everyone says. 

My 2009’s have ended up perfect after a couple weeks of wear though!  Loving them and they’ll probably be my go-to’s as the weather starts warming 

On 2/2/2018 at 8:22 PM, Bbressler said:

perfect everywhere but the tiny waist. Measures 17 across, so hoping they’ll stretch out as much as everyone says. 

I actually took all the measurements and all dimensions are pretty much exactly what SE has listed for 34’s...yet the tags all say 36.  Pretty frustrating :(

42 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Buy and try them on from SE.  If they don't fit, send them back for a exchange. Before you do that, post a fit here so we can get an idea on whether or not they're too big, etc.

Yeah, I normally always use SE...used to live by the one in LA and I’m a big fan.  Unfortunately they were out of stock of 36’s and I was impatient and decided to just order from Japan.  My plan would have worked if they were sized like they were tagged!  I’ve gotten the waist stretched from 34 to a little over 35 just from wearing around the house.  If I can get another inch out of them somehow, I think they’ll work.  They’re not super uncomfortable now, just muffin top big time.  

The 38’s were from SE but that’s on me, I tried to make them work for a month even though I kinda knew they were too big.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I’ll post fit pics in the future.

@Bbressler I'm not so sure that they're mistagged, to be honest. The one-wash start a shade or two below tagged size and then stretch an inch or two past tagged size. After a hot wash and dry, I can easily make it look like my size 36 measures somewhere near 17" across depending on how casually I measure them (I'm not critiquing your measuring ability, just saying that measuring horizontally across the waist and multiplying by 2 isn't all that precise).

Keep in mind, too, that there's some adjustment to the cut involved. The small waist relative to the wider hips and seat exacerbates the feeling that don't fit quite right at first, especially if you're like me and you've got something of a beer gut or love handles. If that's the case, then your waist may actually be wider than your hips, which means that until they stretch out the narrowest part of these jeans will hit you where you're widest. As others have noted elsewhere in the thread, these are features of the 47s that are more exaggerated in the bigger sizes, and this makes getting the right fit trickier in the absence of sizes 35, 37 & 39. 

They will stretch, but if you're used to feeling initial stretch across your hips/lower abdomen, then this is going to seem quite different. If you're really miserable in the 36s, then I'd wear the 38s and just wash the crap out of them every week or two. This denim looks great with a heavy washing regimen.

Good luck.  

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

28 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

I'm not critiquing your measuring ability, just saying that measuring horizontally across the waist and multiplying by 2 isn't all that precise

True story ^

29 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

especially if you're like me and you've got something of a beer gut or love handles. If that's the case, then your waist may actually be wider than your hips, which means that until they stretch out the narrowest part of these jeans will hit you where you're widest. As others have noted elsewhere in the thread, these are features of the 47s that are more exaggerated in the bigger sizes, and this makes getting the right fit trickier in the absence of sizes 35, 37 & 39. 

*Nods*

31 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

If you're really miserable in the 36s, then I'd wear the 38s and just wash the crap out of them every week or two. This denim looks great with a heavy washing regimen.

Good luck.  

Yeah, don't mind the bagginess of the 38's, and they are comfy in the waist, its just the rise is way too much. 

Thanks for all the feedback, everything you're saying make sense.  

Anyone else get these? http://www.selfedge.com/jeans?product_id=2025

I got my pair about a week back. Went with a size 38 as they were measuring between 37 and 38 pre-soak. I take a 36 in the 509SE, 2009, and 2014 fit but sizing up was the right call. Denim feels heavier than my Hinoya 15oz Oki jeans in the 2014 fit that came out over a year back. They still need a second soak as they are still stiff as hell and probably have some more starch to get out.

Measurements for the bigger guys (size 38):
Presoak:
W: 37.5
T: 13.25
K: 9.75
LO: 8.25
FR: 12

Post Cold Soak:
W: 37
T: 13
K: 9.5
LO: 8
FR: 11.5

Fit pics to be posted soon enough...

• 4 weeks later...

There's a really great deal on SC's 30 oz. melton wool jacket to be had right now by someone who lives in a colder climate than me: https://shopcanoeclub.com/collections/sale-items/products/sugarcane-wool-melton-sports-jacket

Always been very interested in this since I saw it pop up somewhere or other or Rakuten a while ago, but can't come close to justifying it since a mid-weight denim jacket's all I need here for 3/4 of the year

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 10:03 PM, elmcitizen said:

Anyone else get these? http://www.selfedge.com/jeans?product_id=2025

I got my pair about a week back. Went with a size 38 as they were measuring between 37 and 38 pre-soak. I take a 36 in the 509SE, 2009, and 2014 fit but sizing up was the right call. Denim feels heavier than my Hinoya 15oz Oki jeans in the 2014 fit that came out over a year back. They still need a second soak as they are still stiff as hell and probably have some more starch to get out.

Measurements for the bigger guys (size 38):
Presoak:
W: 37.5
T: 13.25
K: 9.75
LO: 8.25
FR: 12

Post Cold Soak:
W: 37
T: 13
K: 9.5
LO: 8
FR: 11.5

Fit pics to be posted soon enough...

Are these also known as Sugarcane 1947 type 3 jeans? I was looking at them on Rakuten and they were barely $125 there.

Interested in fit pics as that is almost my size you picked up there.

10 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

@i_denim: Those are Self Edge's skinny-jean version of the Lot 303 Okinawa: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/sc40303/

Thanks, bud. Appreciate it.

I am more interested in 1947 Type 3 in Indigo, seems hard to find outside Rakuten. Seems weird as well 'cuz Levi's/LVC only had one 1947 cut but Sugarcane managed to craft three cuts out of the 1947. But looks like I can use this cut.

19 hours ago, i_denim said:

Thanks, bud. Appreciate it.

I am more interested in 1947 Type 3 in Indigo, seems hard to find outside Rakuten. Seems weird as well 'cuz Levi's/LVC only had one 1947 cut but Sugarcane managed to craft three cuts out of the 1947. But looks like I can use this cut.

The naming of these cuts is a little confusing but it's basically 1947 and then 2009 (type II) and then 2014 (type III). They're all slimmed down versions of the 1947 with 2014 being the slimmest of the 3. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

I figured I'd ask this here...

I have never ran any of my denim in the dryer, preferring hanging out to dry outside due to the hot climate I live in and saving electricity.

I've washed my 1947s roughly 4 times but have air dried them outside.  Would a run in the dryer impact the shrinkage if I was to do this option now? 

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

I've washed my 1947s roughly 4 times but have air dried them outside.  Would a run in the dryer impact the shrinkage if I was to do this option now? 

Depends somewhat on whether you've washed them in hot water, I'd think... my 1947s have been washed around 8 times over a couple of years (not worn constantly, but about 9 months of that would have been daily wear), always cold washed in the machine and usually run through the dryer afterwards. After the first time, I went from a double cuff to a single. They usually feel pretty snug when first out of the dryer... like, if-they-were-a-new-pair-I'd-be-looking-for-a-size-up snug. But they settle in within half an hour.

So, I would say if you haven't lost about an inch in the legs through your current washing routine it'll probably happen when you put it through the dryer.

And your patch will become shrunken, cracked and distorted—at least, mine did; I've just received a new pair so will have to see if it happens again. In my experience most Sugarcane patches don't fare too well in the dryer... I have Okinawas and Hawaiis with patches in great condition, but I don't think I've had them in the dryer. The 47s, 66s and a persimmon-dyed pair have all got damaged patches, but to be fair the last two have paper patches.

Images have been posted before in this thread I think... from mid-2016; since that time the patch has aged, but not much additional evolution as I like them this way.

01_Front.jpg

02_Back.jpg

Edited by mondo
add pics

I just ordered a pair of 1947 standards from Hinoya. I'm already anxious for them to arrive. I'll post fit pics for anyone else who is slim and tall. My waist and hip measurements are within an inch of each other. High rise jeans tend to slip down, so we will see how these fit.

I do have a pair of TCB 50s that fit nicely and the measurements are similar.