Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I was having a look on the Self Edge website, and I came across the new Sugar Cane Type II using the Okinawa denim. It's 11oz, unsanforized, and 50% sugar cane fibre/50% cotton. Taller guys will probably like the fact that they're the longer version as well, but for me, the shorter body would have been better. More pics can be found on the product page, and I'm sure Kiya will do a proper post on the Self Edge thread, but here's one of them.

SC_JACKET_05-1025x684.thumb.jpg.9e27d107f06bef966fc4ffca34adecc6.jpg

10 hours ago, d-rew12 said:

^I was actually just looking into them and thinking of grabbing a pair. How does the denim feel? A lot of stretch?

The denim feels very soft and smooth, but solid.  As for stretch, I ordered a 32 (33 waist) with the idea that it would stretch out to my actual waist (just under 34) and they got there pretty easily.

4 hours ago, BlackPig said:

^^ Is there a strong sulphur smell?

Not that I've noticed.

9 hours ago, HGS said:

The denim feels very soft and smooth, but solid.  As for stretch, I ordered a 32 (33 waist) with the idea that it would stretch out to my actual waist (just under 34) and they got there pretty easily.

Not that I've noticed.

Good to know! I've been in the market for some black jean and these are so damn cheap and fit the bill, it's hard to say no. Just a little worried about the thigh

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

nice pair JoFo, thanks for sharing.

since i got some 1947s too and refused to wash em, i would like to know how much your pair shrunk

lengthwise?

I've washed mine twice, one was machine and the other was hand.  No shrinkage on mine. Waist stayed the same.

7 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

nice pair JoFo, thanks for sharing.

since i got some 1947s too and refused to wash em, i would like to know how much your pair shrunk

lengthwise?

I bought the one wash version and have washed them multiple times, but didn't really notice any shrink length wise, maybe a few centimeters if anything.

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up a pair of 47's for pretty cheap recently. My first pair from SC. The denim is much softer than I expected.. previous owner said they had only been soaked twice. 

They seem to have a lot of extra material around the crotch area. Doesn't look so awesome tucked in- but I think they'll make for a good pair to wear in the fall.

Bzqummp.jpg 

G6Loq5n.jpg 

Edited by fix_me

48 minutes ago, MasonAlexander said:

Just put I believe the 4th wash into my Sugar Cane 1947 slims after having worn them for the past year as probably my most regular pant (alternated with that black pair of Sugar Canes that I destroyed).

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

There's two types of the 1947s?  I could have sworn I have the same style as you.

38 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

There's two types of the 1947s?  I could have sworn I have the same style as you.

Some places seem to call them the "1947 slim" and some "SC42014" but it is definitely different from what is listed as the "1947" on Self Edge. Ive actually been quite confused on the issue myself. 

When WAS 1947?
Is it now 2014?
What IS slim?
Do aliens exist?

2 minutes ago, mrman said:

Denimio has 3 different 1947 models listed; one 14.25 oz called Standard model, one 12 oz called Standard model type II and one 12 oz called Type 3 slim fit. Go figure.

Just took a look at that. The one that is listed as "Type 3 slim fit" is the one I just posted of mine. Confirmed. 

That was confusing

1 hour ago, mrman said:

Denimio has 3 different 1947 models listed; one 14.25 oz called Standard model, one 12 oz called Standard model type II and one 12 oz called Type 3 slim fit. Go figure.

Those would be the:

-1947 (14.25 oz. Standard)

-2009 (12 oz. Type II)

-2014 (Type III)

In that order. The only thing I'm not too clear on is the difference between the 2009 and 2014. I tried twice to make the 2009 cut work for me and it just didn't so I didn't pay much attention to the 2014 (except for when Hinoya did a collab version in the 50/50 denim, which I wanted badly in the '47 cut).

Edited by Iron Horse

I searched for an answer but couldn't see it, apologies if this has been asked before.

Trying to buy a pair of 1947s (sc41947) and I've checked selfedge, ratuken, etc and measurements online are pretty variable. If i have a pair of Hawaiis in a 32 which fit well, should I buy a 32 in 1947s? I assume the cut and sizing is the same but I'm not entirely sure.

6 hours ago, Gladwrap said:

I searched for an answer but couldn't see it, apologies if this has been asked before.

Trying to buy a pair of 1947s (sc41947) and I've checked selfedge, ratuken, etc and measurements online are pretty variable. If i have a pair of Hawaiis in a 32 which fit well, should I buy a 32 in 1947s? I assume the cut and sizing is the same but I'm not entirely sure.

Buy your same size, yes.