Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Which is more interesting-- Okinawas or hawaiis? I have a pair of each still unwashed and was wondering what to wear next. Or maybe I should begin wearing both pairs haha. 

Which models? There has been 3 or 4 iterations of Okinawas and Hawaiis over the years. sc40x0x?

Or maybe I should begin wearing both pairs haha. 

but then you'd still have to decide which one should be on top.

when i had the chance to buy one of them a long time ago, i loved the pocket fabrics on the okinawa and the snake skin patch and the more unusual placement of the sashiko stich/arc but in the end decided on the hawaii because of two things: the colour, so vibrant blue and a bit different from most jeans (at that time) and the fit. somehow though the measurements are the same iirc if you look at measurement charts, they fit differently. hawaii fits a bit looser on the top block and tapers a bit to the bottom (very slightly). okinawa fits a bit tighter and goes straight all the way down. this could be the effect of natural variations on the pairs i tried, but the hawaii fits a bit more flattering on me (no bum, skinny asian legs).

Thanks for the replies everyone, although I still cant decide. I have the sc40401 and the sc40301. Both were bought a few months ago so I'm guessing these are the current models. I'm currently rotating through evisu 2001s and sc1947s but I'm favoring the sugarcane fit as im fat right now. 

to contribute, i just checked out my stash and here is my sc2009s from some years ago which turned up nice after around a year of wear and frequent washes.

8g3xBJk.jpg

X5plh6Q.jpg

but then you'd still have to decide which one should be on top.

when i had the chance to buy one of them a long time ago, i loved the pocket fabrics on the okinawa and the snake skin patch and the more unusual placement of the sashiko stich/arc but in the end decided on the hawaii because of two things: the colour, so vibrant blue and a bit different from most jeans (at that time) and the fit. somehow though the measurements are the same iirc if you look at measurement charts, they fit differently. hawaii fits a bit looser on the top block and tapers a bit to the bottom (very slightly). okinawa fits a bit tighter and goes straight all the way down. this could be the effect of natural variations on the pairs i tried, but the hawaii fits a bit more flattering on me (no bum, skinny asian legs).

Oh, I haven't noticed the difference until you mentioned it. I fit both pairs but both are still stiff so that maybe why I didn't notice the fit differences. I've gotten used to the 1947 leg size and the 2009s is as slim as I want to get, so if the okinawas and hawaiis are in between then I would be okay.

Personally, I am liking the color of the Hawaiis now as it is a lighter blue although the denim on the Okinawas are mo uneven. haha, its hard to decide!

Sorry guys, but is there anyone who can tell about length shrinkage of the SC41955. For what I know it should be unsanforized Denim, but

I would love to here your experience about the shrinkage. I have a pair and only would go for a wash if there is at least 10%

shrinkage, otherwise  I wouldn´t want to loose rigidness. Many thanks.

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

somehow though the measurements are the same iirc if you look at measurement charts, they fit differently. hawaii fits a bit looser on the top block and tapers a bit to the bottom (very slightly). okinawa fits a bit tighter and goes straight all the way down. this could be the effect of natural variations on the pairs i tried, but the hawaii fits a bit more flattering on me (no bum, skinny asian legs).

So, I know this has been debated before, but where do people figure the 47s fit on this spectrum?

I love my okis, but they're a size 36 and fit best straight out of a hot wash. I'd almost be tempted to size down to 34 in raw hawaii's and really shrink to fit, but I'd rather grab 47s to have a less conspicuous pair, and sizing down seems unrealistic on those (in the waist).

Where'd be the best place to order Sugarcane from Japan? I'm looking to pick up a black pair and I'm weighing my options outside of Selfedge. Hinoya? 

I purchased a pair from Hinoya and it was super easy and they're fast to ship as well.

Edited by elmcitizen

^ Hinoya is pretty hassle-free.

You could consider Pants Shop Avenue too. Naoki has some of the older models in stock if you fancy some of the deadstock stuff.

Both shops will do special order if they don't have stock IIRC.

Edited by mikecch

The SC41470. I actually ran into it here a couple pages back. I'm just very happy with an old pair of SEXSC06s. Don't mind some Sugarcane again. The other option were these NF (no fade) ones from PBJ, but I could never track it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. Longtime lurker from way back but rarely post. I've got question for the SC aficionados. Since stupidly selling a pair of edo's a while back I have missed the 50/50 cane denim. Since I'm skinny My grail would be a 50-50 version of the 2009 or 2014s. (missed the limited collab) . Since a new drop is unlikely I guess I'm limited to the oki/Hawaii or the Mr freedom lot 64 Okinawa.

Having had a 1947 a while back I can say I don't love the fit of either Okis or Hawaii on me. Does anyone have any opinion of the fit of the MF compared to the the canes or other reference? Forgetting the absurd price of the freedoms, they clearly are not slim, but I have not been able to find any fit pics.

Any other info re the freedoms would also be appreciated. Thanks

Here's the chart for the MF for reference

http://www.misterfreedom.com/californian-lot.-64-okinawa-issue.html

Edited by kbuzz

Thanks I'm a 36....

And also thanks to superjackie but those SE make ups are long gone in my size....

I have some old SExSC06 in a size 36 that are well worn but still wearable if you're interested. I'd be happy to pass them along for a couple bucks plus shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not the most heavyweight fadetastic denim, but I've been on the hunt for some 11oz SC summertimes (size 30, might be able to swing a 29). It's hot in Florida. And I'm a newbie to raw denim. I've been following this thread for a while, and as much as I love the Okinawa and Hawaii fit pics and fades, does anyone have any similar photos for these summertime jeans? And/or measurements after breaking them in (they're one washed unsanforized denim, per http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1208 )?

any help and advice much appreciated. And of course, if anyone knows where to buy a pair, EVEN BETTER. So far super future, style forum, reddit, grailed, and ebay have failed me.

Edited by goalaso

You might be able to find those at some obscure rakuten shops.

Have you given any thought to the sc2009?

It's just a hair heavier at 12oz and somewhat more available, I might also mention a good deal slimmer cut than typical Okinawa/Hawaii/1947 cuts.

Edited by SuperJackle

I looked at all the other SCs, and the 2009s (at least on self edge) looked to be a bt tighter in the thigh and knee and more tapered, albeit just a bit more. Similar to the 12oz 3sixteen SL-101x in fit, which I was also considering. But If I'm going up in weight in SCs, I think my 2nd choice would be the 2014 12oz, since it seems not as loose as the Okinawa but not as tight as the 2009s.

But really the few fit pics and measurements of the 11oz summertime jeans seem to me my sweet spot and the right weight and something easy to start with for a newbie to raw denim. I wouldn't want to go much slimmer or heavier than this, which is why I nixed the 2009 and the 3sixteen option. Second best, at least on paper, seems to be the SC 2014 12 oz. But this is the forum to correct me if any of these impressions about tightness of fit are wrong (i.e. after breaking in, etc).

I looked at all the other SCs, and the 2009s (at least on self edge) looked to be a bt tighter in the thigh and knee and more tapered, albeit just a bit more. Similar to the 12oz 3sixteen SL-101x in fit, which I was also considering. But If I'm going up in weight in SCs, I think my 2nd choice would be the 2014 12oz, since it seems not as loose as the Okinawa but not as tight as the 2009s.

But really the few fit pics and measurements of the 11oz summertime jeans seem to me my sweet spot and the right weight and something easy to start with for a newbie to raw denim. I wouldn't want to go much slimmer or heavier than this, which is why I nixed the 2009 and the 3sixteen option. Second best, at least on paper, seems to be the SC 2014 12 oz. But this is the forum to correct me if any of these impressions about tightness of fit are wrong (i.e. after breaking in, etc).

2014 is more tapered and slimmer than the 2009. 

So the thigh is my issue as far as "tightness", and at least according to the self edge page measurements and my actual waist size, I'd have to go for a 30 in both (taking into consideration the slightly different stretch mentioned), which means the 2014 would clock in at 11.3 inches compared to 2009's 10.9 inches. The 2014 also has a slightly larger rise. I think both these differences are apparent in the photos too.  But yes, it does taper more. I have skinny ankles, bigger thighs. So for me, the 2009 is going to fit slimmer in a size 30. At least that's my interpretation. Reasonable?

Edited by goalaso