Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it on when I was in sf. The denim is awesome on it and the iron button are nice too. Extra length was welcome as well. I just couldn't pull the trigger because I haven't yet convinced myself that I can get on without hand pockets.

Thanks for the input/opinions, guys. I've never had a denim jacket so after reading this, I looked at other denim jackets and many of them do not have hand pockets. Don't think it will be a deal breaker as I like every other detail on this jacket.

My Samurai type III has no hand pockets and it's done the job for several years. However, I think next time I'd opt for one with hand pockets.

As I get older I'd have to say I'm more of a form-follows-function person.

good discussion - looking at a front view of the jacket with extra length, there is a lot of empty space between the bottom of pockets and hem but not sure if hand pockets would help fill the empty space or just make the overall look too busy. In either case, there is no arguing with the functional aspect of hand pockets.

Those look fantastic! I'd kill to have that fabric on the 47 cut. 

edit: During my time working at Self Edge, that SC 12 oz denim was always the most impressive fabric to see come in for repairs. That shit is gorgeous. 

Edited by jstavrin

I swear SC is underrated. 

I completely back this. I've worn IH, SG, SOC, and the jeans I keep coming back to are my Sugar Canes. The price, the denim, and a pretty reasonable selection of fits make Sugar Cane great. Currently wearing a pair of SC2009 that have been tapered slightly and I love them. I scored a pair of the Hinoya 50/50 denim in the 2014 fit this year and I can't wait for it to cool off so I can start wearing them.

can someone with 2009s and 1947s give me advise on sizing a pair of 1947s? i have a pair of sz 30 2009s that are a size big, could wear a 29. thanks in advance

I just bought a pair of Sugar Cane Okinawas, which are 1947's and the tagged 36" waist measures 35.5". They are pretty close to true size. Also, my 2009's are stretched from wearing, but they were also around 35.5" when new. So if your 30" are a bit loose, try a 29" or 28" depending how loose your 2009's are and how much you feel like they stretched.

I just bought a pair of Sugar Cane Okinawas, which are 1947's and the tagged 36" waist measures 35.5". They are pretty close to true size. Also, my 2009's are stretched from wearing, but they were also around 35.5" when new. So if your 30" are a bit loose, try a 29" or 28" depending how loose your 2009's are and how much you feel like they stretched.

thanks for the info...my 2009 30s have stretched to a 32" waist. i wanted to order from rakuten but i am going to la in a couple weeks so i may just hold off until then and go to self edge to make sure i get the sizing right and take advantage of the free hemming 

thanks for the info...my 2009 30s have stretched to a 32" waist. i wanted to order from rakuten but i am going to la in a couple weeks so i may just hold off until then and go to self edge to make sure i get the sizing right and take advantage of the free hemming 

Take a look at the Okinawas and Hawaiis. They have the 50/50 Cotton/Sugar Cane fiber. The denim looks really nice. I was going to get the standard 47, but got the Okinawas.

I live maybe 10 minutes from Self Edge....cool shop.

Anyone know what the shrinkage is like on the type II jacket? Preferably the one wash version. I obtained some measurements from Naoki-san at Pants Shop Avenue and will most likely pull the trigger on it but I'd like to squeeze a bit more out of the length and chest if possible. I'd love to see some photos of how it looks with some heavy wear if anyone has any.

Take a look at the Okinawas and Hawaiis. They have the 50/50 Cotton/Sugar Cane fiber. The denim looks really nice. I was going to get the standard 47, but got the Okinawas.

I live maybe 10 minutes from Self Edge....cool shop.

i gererally stop by everytime im in la...its so hard to walk out of there empty handed. as far as the hawaiis and okinawas, the fabric seems interesting, but i prefer plain pockets which is why im leaning towards the 47s

Edited by emgee420

Has anyone bought the new, raw Sugar Cane denim jacket from Self Edge  and if so, how do you like it? especially the denim and extra length (which I need). thanks

Got this a couple of days ago I'll post pre and post soak measurements when I can. Denim looks great picked up the 44 and it hangs on me like a tent sleeves are halfway down my hands and the length- well it's long and I'm happy about it I'm 6-3 230 and unless it has crazy shrink it's going to work. I don't give a shit I'm wearing it either way.

Please share post wash measurents. Thanks! Concerned the 44 will be a hair small in the chest post wash, and too long in the body.

pre and post soak measurements on the raw Type II done IH way

raw                          soaked 

pit to pit 25.5           24.6

length 29.5               27.2

opening 23.5           22

sleeve 26                 24.4

shoulder 23             22.1

after warm soak ran it through front loader on hand wash cycle with a little Woolite no spin.  Wore it damp and it set up well. 

Also picked up the raw SC Type II black   will post measurements when I soak.

Edited by craneman