Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

A quick and rough phone photo to show the power of Sugar Cane denim!

26097345734_cd5283e2a9.jpg

My 1947 have just hit the one year mark and I gave them a 60C wash this week. It seemed to clear the murkiness in the fabric and get the blues popping out more. I'm having the rips on the cuffs fixed atm and then the plan is to wear them for another half year before switching to my WH 1001. Better photos coming soon.

Hell yes. The 47 is not an instant gratification piece. It takes a while. But damn, when it blooms. SO great. 

how would you say the 2014 compare with the 66 with regards to fit and sizing? the 2009/2014 denim always seems to have great-looking fades!

I bought both pairs true to size a 34. The '66 has a much more generous top block. The '66 will have a half inch more room in the rise, thigh, and hem compared to the 2014. I chose the 2014 over the 2009 for the higher rise and more taper. 

Whats the shrinkage like on raw SC Hawaiis and Okinawas? I got a couple incoming which are hemmed at 32 since I only need a 30-31 and the seller suggested 32 since the fabric doesnt shrink like regular denim. Whats killing me now is that I bought from a store in Japan with instructions to hem it using the same stitching method, as I have read that some versions of the Hawaii used a lock stitch not a chain stitch. Now I am afraid that they might have put back the original hem which sucks. Worst thing is I have it re-hemmed but that would shorten the length to around 29 post wash.

Whats the shrinkage like on raw SC Hawaiis and Okinawas? I got a couple incoming which are hemmed at 32 since I only need a 30-31 and the seller suggested 32 since the fabric doesnt shrink like regular denim. Whats killing me now is that I bought from a store in Japan with instructions to hem it using the same stitching method, as I have read that some versions of the Hawaii used a lock stitch not a chain stitch. Now I am afraid that they might have put back the original hem which sucks. Worst thing is I have it re-hemmed but that would shorten the length to around 29 post wash.

The denim on the Okinawa and Hawaii shrinks a full 3" after full shrinkage (two hot soaks/washes).  So your jeans will end up at about 29" after they've been washed/soaked a couple of times.

No idea why the store in Japan told you what they did.  We've been selling those jeans for 10 years and get raw versions in from time to time and they always shrink about 3" in the length.

The denim on the Okinawa and Hawaii shrinks a full 3" after full shrinkage (two hot soaks/washes).  So your jeans will end up at about 29" after they've been washed/soaked a couple of times.

No idea why the store in Japan told you what they did.  We've been selling those jeans for 10 years and get raw versions in from time to time and they always shrink about 3" in the length.

Crap, and I have to wait some time to see it since I am away on business at the moment.  Thanks Kiya!

and forgive me to make matters worse, but sc has one of the most beautiful, thin hem folds and chainstitches that i only hope your retailer can match. 

The jeans arrived in my house and I had photos taken of the hem. The good news is that they were hemmed correctly (both chainstitched and not using/ stitching back the original hem). I suppose I have a good chance of both pairs being okay. I have an SC 1947 which ended up at 30.5-31 after several washes and still stack a little bit. I also have a SC 2009 which ended up 28.5  inseam after like 6 washes and these had no stacking but were not exposing my socks or anything. I guess the high rise of these jeans make it sag a little bit which 'extends' the inseam.

By the way, i bought these from PSA and I was originally going for a 33 inseam raw so it would shrink to around 31. Naoki advised me that these do not shrink like the regular 1947 denim and to get a 32 inseam. I'm not bad mouthing PSA or anything, it was really a pleasant buying experience. Maybe the japanese hate stacking? haha

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, these were one-wash so have always had those fine wrinkles.. once they've aged a bit and blended in with the fading from wear they give the denim a nice unexpected structure.  

As usual with me, I've taken photos of a worn pair because I've just got a new pair in—Hawaiis, this time.  I'll look forward to seeing if they turn out any differently to my old Okinawas..

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a pair of '47s worn by a baker in one of the older Lightning books that were washed very frequently. Would be interested to see more though because I think that the indigo would hold up quite well with heavy washing. It's stubborn as hell.

Edit - and there's always Shingo's pairs from Denimba:

P12500021.jpg

http://www.denimba.com/2011/01/25/3945 

Edited by Sugar Mountain

Curious, is there any example of 47's which have been washed frequently (weekly +) and worn for a year or two that anyone can think of? 

I'm fairly certain tmadd had a pair washed/worn this way back when he and I lived together (like 6 years ago...time flies!). I'll see if photos still exist. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I would say 2 years of wear over a 6 year span, but that's a guess. They have been washed a ton, thrown in the drier too. And they're definitely stubborn. I watched them closely the first couple years and nothing happened, then I just lost track of time and here we are. Plenty more to go.

Edited by Ignaurus

In the 6-7 months I've worn my Okis (in rotation 3-5 days a week), I've found that the fabric undergoes all sorts of subtle and interesting evolutions even though it's not quite fading in the typical ways we're anticipating. The texture changes depth, for instance, both visually and in terms of hand/feel. Mine are now almost fully out of the dark purplish indigo phase they had at the start and entering something almost blueberry-like. All this is too say there's plenty to keep your attention even in the absence of profound fades. They're simply excellent. 

Guys with the Okinawa denim: how's the shrink/stretch? I just got a pair of Lot 64 Okinawa's from Mister Freedom and pre wash they feel a bit snug in the thighs. Everything else seems good, just a little concerned with the thighs...

Threw them in the wash and a short trip through the drier and they actually shrunk up pretty well.

The waist is slightly snug but the thighs aren't too bad, I was just used to my Ooe's that have a lot of room in the thigh.

Really love these jeans, the fabric is awesome.