Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

No more "plain Jane" than a pair of Warehouse, IMO! The '47s are a bit wide, so perhaps that turns people off, but they do everything right. 

I know that's why I don't wear my 47s much, the leg is pretty wide, and that's not a style I'm as in to right now.  

Other than that, they're as good, if not better, than my jeans that cost twice as much.  

Will be "on stage" for my company's year-end party this week and was told I have to wear a white, button-down shirt. As I don't own any, I used that as an excuse to pick up this (off-white) Sugar Cane chambray shirt in medium. Initial thoughts: it's definitely not sized down to a "Japanese size." It's also a bit long, so it has to be tucked, and maybe taken in to the tailor and shortened later on.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-18%20at%2011.54.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-18%20at%2011.54.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-18%20at%2011.58.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-18%20at%2011.58.

Where did you buy that?  I've never seen a SC shirt with that kind of neck tag before.. is it Made in Japan or USA?

@Ironhorse

I have a similar shirt, same fabric from what I can tell off white and shrunk a ton after a hot wash and tumble dry. Don't know if thats rinsed or not, but from my experience the SC shirts that aren't their flannels shrink quite a bit after a wash.

Looks great though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@ironhorse - love the substantial collar on that shirt. I hate when collars aren't big and weighty enough to stand up to an outer layer and/or jacket - sort of makes the shirt look like bacon from the top button downwards on the placket.

@bobbo and setterman - completely agree with the sentiment. This was raised on the WH thread some time back. To a certain extent price points are dictated by demand and to project quality/exclusivity.

Tried the Okis this morning in Chicago and am definitely copping a 30 for the summer time. I am typically a 31 but given the rise, sizing down one is almost mandatory. Denim is outrageous; can't get over the feel. Fit is perfect. Tad slimmer than 47. I would say they are a narrower straight leg cut - like a size 32 in samurai 710 throughout the top block but with relatively no taper.

Nearly bought them until I got the :| look from the gf. Jawn browsing and gfs are never a good mix.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like my threshold for holding off once I get the denim inch is about a week. Initially bought a 30 but after some consternation, exchanged for a 31 which is my normal size. I am glad I did. Even though they were one washed, I still put them through a hot wash and dry. The shrink was considerable for it being one wash.

My apologies for not taking pre-wash measurements. One thing I can say though is that when I measured the waist on the 30, it measured 30 as opposed to self edge's 29.

Also, agreed with the care tips for the patch from previous posts. In one wash/dry, the patch already has some wear and paint loss. Bummer. I applied some otter wax to it for some lasting moisturizing and water resistance. Hopefully that does the trick.

Will take some measurements and fit picks shortly.

Took some post wash measurements. Will take some after they stretch back out along with some fit pics. I can say that I am glad that I didn't get them hemmed until I washed them first.

Post Wash Measurements (BiG)

Waist: 30"

Front Rise: 11"

Thigh: 10.5"

Knee: 8.75"

Leg Opening: 8.25"

Inseam: 33"

Washed my Okis for the first time yesterday. Probably 45 or so wears and not much evolution to show just yet.

Though there's plenty of existing documentation of their various details, when I searched the thread I only found a couple mentions (and no pics) of the fact that the pocket bag fabric is actually selvage. So, here are a couple pics for the archive. Apologies for the lint; they are pockets after all. Cheers.

IMG_0530.JPGIMG_0532.JPG

Took some post wash measurements. Will take some after they stretch back out along with some fit pics. I can say that I am glad that I didn't get them hemmed until I washed them first.

Post Wash Measurements (BiG)

Waist: 30"

Front Rise: 11"

Thigh: 10.5"

Knee: 8.75"

Leg Opening: 8.25"

Inseam: 33"

how much stretch-back did you get in the waist?

@milehigh: I really didn't hear anything on the pocket bags either and was beyond pleasantly surprised when I saw them and really paid them some attention. Interior lining to the back pocket is awesome too.

@blue nemo: still have some stretch in them. I I'll get you some measurements once I am confident that it is all out. Waist definitely stretched 1" within one day of wear.

^^

Okis are cut a little higher, closer to the true waist & plus, LHT usually have more flex__ so, yes, they're definitely downsizable for a slimmish fit, IMO.

However, 'went for the TTS route on mine__ reason being, if I want something slimmish, I'd go for my other stuff [like Sam, Momo, FH, FC, PBJ, SG, etc]__ but, the are times when I gotta have my repro moments__ for that, I go to my old reliables ... WH, SD, SC, etc.

I mean, [that]'s what having an eclectic collection is for, right?!

Anyway, 'got the Oki Greys for awhile, but haven't put much wear on them, due to the usual 1st world problem__ deep rotation. Quite recently while browsing through Clutch's new "Denim Issue" @midtown Kinokuniya, I stumbled upon a freakin fabulous well worn pair of Okis ... so, I just had to grab a pair :)

94A426E2-DF18-4CE3-BCFA-80C0146B1409_1.j

C89FDB64-38C8-4CA9-8E01-2E9A31AE3841.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

• 2 weeks later...

Aho - Yep, these are worn near daily and I'm quite mobile in them. From my own experience, humidity doesn't really speed up crocking on denim. It's movement and friction that is going to fade a jean. If the weather is so sticky and gross that you can't move around as much, all cotton fibres are damp, and you need to wash your jeans more to get rid of the funk and sweat, then the climate is not going to lend itself to major fading. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you know what denim is used? If its the 50/50 Sugar Cane I'll be needing a pair of these!

Google translate to the rescue, so they are the 50/50. Does anyone know if they ship to the US?

Edited by elmcitizen