Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

• 2 weeks later...

1947s; I think these have been going for about a year now, but that's what I always say. They've not been worn exclusively in that time, but definitely about 3-4 days per week for the past six months. I've washed them four times or so, when they needed it. They've seen a few significant events, now that I think of it, but not of the kind I hope to repeat.

Apologies for iPhone pics.. They've come out looking a more electric blue, but they are actually pretty damn blue in the Australian summer. Too hot to wear them, hence the quick pics..

I'll try to do some proper pics another time; the focus seems poor to me, unless it's just my eyes. Anyway, you get the idea:

image_zpsf6mwhics.jpg

image_zpsvaqvx2g2.jpg

image_zps7zu2b7s4.jpg

image_zpsj1jcfxz4.jpg

Tad bit out of my price range but check out this beauty.

Buzz Ricksons x Sugar Cane indigo dyed A2.

4ReDuQkl.jpg

We just got this at all the shops and it's unbelievable.  The way thing will look after some wear is going to be crazy.

Hello Suger Caners, I wondered if someone can give me a heads up on the shrinkage expected from the 2014 fit?

As I uderstand the waist will go about 2inches, how about the thigh and hem? Is it worth comparing to the one-wash version to see how things may be in the future?

Thanks!

Check the SE one wash measurements for accurate measurements. I bought the one wash from SE and the thigh and hem measurements are the same as the SE size chart after many washes. It will shrink to tagged size and the waist will give you 2" inches after a month of wear. 

We just got this at all the shops and it's unbelievable.  The way thing will look after some wear is going to be crazy.

is this thing going to fade like regular denim indigo, or because it's leather would the indigo be more permanent?

is this thing going to fade like regular denim indigo, or because it's leather would the indigo be more permanent?

The indigo definitely isn't permanent, there is a sample that was worn in Japan since February that i saw in May and it looked unreal.  It was shown at the Toyo expo in Tokyo.

Was a loooong week, having to wait for my Type II to come in from Portland. I've never had a denim jacket and I have a few questions. I'm assuming this will fit pretty well after a hot soak. Mostly concerned about the shoulders shrinking a bit too far.

What do you guys think? (Not sure why I didn't tuck my shirt in for the photos)

IMG_6049-1.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

PS, 45 mins on hottest tap with moderate agitation should do the trick right?

that's exactly how a type II should fit—it will be just right after it loses some of the stiffness.  I would not soak it in water that is warmer than what it's going to be washed in down the track.  If it were mine I wouldn't bother soaking it at all; jeans, you need to know what the final fit is going to be as soon as possible.. jackets, you can determine the fit to some extent, and don't need to get all the shrinkage out just because it's potentially there.  You'll probably wash this half a dozen times over a period of years, and it's not much trouble to do it cold and by hand if you want it to remain the same size.

I'm with mondo. It looks really good now. It's going to be super snug in the shoulders after an aggressive soak. However, I bought my Type II on the snug side, like this, and did a lukewarm soak. It shrunk up nicely. without being too crazy.

If you're wanting a lot of shrink because of the body or arms, I wouldn't worry about that. Yes, it's a boxy jacket because it's a true Type II. But once you get some wear on it, it molds really nicely and settles.

Thanks guys. Interesting insight mondo--in terms of the washing/sizing. Seeing as this is the unwashed version, I do think I should soak in some regards as it will eventually have to touch water in its lifetime.

Arms are a bit long though. Shoulders are perfect, body length doesn't bother me one bit.

Maybe I should exchange for a 42 and hope for this fit after a hot soak? That way, I can just wash wash wash soak whatever and not have to worry about it. I mean, if the sleeves were a tiny bit shorter, this current fit would be perfect.

Edited by whozdrew?

You should definitely get the jacket through a delicate wash or a soak to have the fabric and stitching bed-in. Plus, as you say the jacket will have to be washed some way down the road as well. I think you could do a 30C delicate wash with low spin and be alright in terms of shrinkage. Then the fit will be gold.

Type II, size 42

pre soak:

IMG_6092.jpg

post soak and after a few days wear:

IMG_6132-1.jpg

Glad I was able to hold out for a few days and swap the 40 for a 42. Well worth the wait, this thing is cool.

Asking for a friend: He has the Type III Black Jeans from SE and is wondering if wearing sulfur dyed jeans could be hazardous to his health. Please tell me that the rest of you think he's as crazy as I do.

You made the right decision in sizing up on that jacket. I am always for getting the shrink completely out of the way in case you need to throw it back in the machine. Plus you have enough room to wear layers underneath.

Sugar Cane Okinawa, another candidate I often considered but never got.

For my last examination I brought along some help from my niece. We agreed that the patch was outstanding.

Subtle they ain't - python patch, unique stitching, super slubby LHT denim aith an almost a bit itchy surface, coloured pocket bags.

The denim feels also a bit heavier than I'd have expected.

That might just on of the biggest lessons - there's a lot more variety in the 13,5-14,5 oz range in terms of stiffness and "felt" weight than I would have thought. The Denime 66XX being the heaviest of the bunch, I would have guessed 16 oz at least

The fit of the SC is a solid straight one, very comfy and relaxed, almost feels like wearing sweatpants.

uXObsRh.jpg

ib9E0kx.jpg

EP71Zfg.jpg

FM55jlW.jpg

DSC_9522.jpg

DSC_9529.jpg

DSC_9530.jpg

DSC_9531.jpg

Edited by Max Power