Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

The problem with the '66 is the same as with the '55Z and '47, a narrow waist and a wide leg.  I've got a pair of size 36 '47s, and I couldn't take the waist any smaller, but everywhere else is basically a size too big.  Had a pair of size 38 '66s, and the same issue, except worse.  Hot washes and trips through the dryer made the waist about as small as I could stand, but everywhere else was way too big.  Don't know if this is as much of an issue on the smaller sizes (32 and smaller), but on the bigger sizes the proportions are such that they're not super flattering.         

The problem with the '66 is the same as with the '55Z and '47, a narrow waist and a wide leg.  I've got a pair of size 36 '47s, and I couldn't take the waist any smaller, but everywhere else is basically a size too big.  Had a pair of size 38 '66s, and the same issue, except worse.  Hot washes and trips through the dryer made the waist about as small as I could stand, but everywhere else was way too big.  Don't know if this is as much of an issue on the smaller sizes (32 and smaller), but on the bigger sizes the proportions are such that they're not super flattering.         

I hear you!

I really wanted a pair of SCs in the 50/50 denim but all of the fits that feature that denim just don't fit well on a bigger guy. If SC ever produced a fit similar to the 2009 in the 50/50 denim I'd be first in line for a pair.

I was at the point of considering buying a pair of Okis or Hawaiis and having them altered but they would require just too many changes to fit like I want.

nice fit on the 66s will look great after broken in (and hemmed)...i love the 66s i have (lucky enough to get a non-star pair), i'm small waist and big ass/hips/thighs proportioned so probably haven't noticed the small waist/big everything else phenomenon as much..i do think that people who aren't similarly proportioned might not be able to handle the high rise and wide top block of the 66, which can look/feel somewhat top heavy...i did notice however after trying on the WH 1003sxx that the waist is about the same as my 47s in the same size, but the rise is significantly shorter and every other measurement feels smaller too (except there's maybe slightly less taper), so i think i can see it 

i did notice however after trying on the WH 1003sxx that the waist is about the same as my 47s in the same size, but the rise is significantly shorter and every other measurement feels smaller too (except there's maybe slightly less taper), so i think i can see it 

Same experience with my 1003XX.... similar in waist, smaller everywhere else compared to the SC47.  Nails the 40s look and fit.      

If the SC47 was a little smaller in the seat and a 1/2" narrower from the thigh down, it would be perfect IMO.

hi, i'm thinking about to pull trigger on the type II jacket, but wondering the fabric, can anyone tell? thanks~

It's the 1947 denim, same classic fabric they've been using for years.  Just make sure you buy a raw unwashed version, the industrial washing/drying they do on that denim makes it hard to get a great looking worn in jacket over years of wear.  

Makes less of a difference on the jeans, but on the jacket it's important that the denim be raw.

James, if you could've sized/stuck with the first 1947's you ever got... man would those be legendary.

Ha, thanks. I think I got my actual "first" pair 4 or 5 years ago, but I ended up selling them for the same reason. The 1947 is always kinda/sorta in my life...

I for one am looking forward to seeing how that pair above turn out - definite potential for grail status. I passed the six month mark on mine the other week and damn if the 1947 aren't just one of the best models of jeans on the market. Totally love them.

Thank you! I am putting these on the back burner for a bit, though. I just bought a pair of Buzz Rickson 1950s jeans, and I'm quite enamored with them. The cut is probably my favorite out of all the jeans I've ever had. 

It would be pretty interesting to see a side by side comparison between the Canes and the Buzz jeans. Lazy of me, but I had assumed they were the same denim but with different details and a tweaked cut.

The 40s Buzz jeans and the 1947 are pretty similar, but the fabrics are slightly different (the buzz jeans are lighter, I think). The 50s jeans weigh the same as the 47, but the denim feels a lot burlier. 

I'll take comparison shots within the next few days. 

Edited by jstavrin