Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Good point re: snakeskin patch care.  I did read online that beeswax works, but I have only read that in one place and have yet to find any other statements to back that up.  The paint on mine s rubbing off as well.  Not too bothered but It would be nice if it faded instead of straight chipping off.  I have said it before, but this denim is my favorite denim I have handled thus far due to just about every point you mentioned b_F.  

In the next few days I will try to take some high quality detail shots of all the small details that make the Okinawa jean so desirable for me.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

@hog & @gnomes: before the Okinawas arrived, I searched for care products and I found some cream for reptile leather. But after the Okis arrived I thought “fuck, those are some serious Dungarees that don’t need that stuff†and I skipped the leather care plan

Pictures (to my review) would be great gnome! :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Apologies for this just being a detail of a previously posted picture, but the patch on my Okinawas has held up pretty well — probably 18 months of solid wear at the time the pic was taken, and always with a belt.  I've never treated the patch.  I've only ever hand washed these, and dried on a line, so maybe that's a factor:

oki_03_zpsf91c3ae5.jpg

Apologies for this just being a detail of a previously posted picture, but the patch on my Okinawas has held up pretty well — probably 18 months of solid wear at the time the pic was taken, and always with a belt.  I've never treated the patch.  I've only ever hand washed these, and dried on a line, so maybe that's a factor:

oki_03_zpsf91c3ae5.jpg

That texture!!

To all you guys owning the Okinawa in one-wash: how soft are they?

My initially raw and recently soaked by myself pair is pretty rigid from the starch and sizing after it dried. A lot stiffer than many other pairs except for my old Denime jeans (which also used Nihon Menpu denim according to Paul T, so maybe here is the connection).

I only wonder if the stiffness is nearly entirely from the starch or also from the woven fabric itself, which would surprise me a bit since it’s LHT denim.

And on another note: although the Okinawa is LHT denim the fades I saw when googling them are often sharper than the fades of the RHT Hawaii. Which is also a bit surprising at first.

I don't know if mine were purchased as one-wash as they came to me second hand but with no visible wear.  They most likely were one-wash.  They are very soft, perhaps more so than any other jeans I own.  They feel quite... dense, almost, like they have a higher thread count (although that's not the case).  They're the ones I go to if it's warm out and I want something with a little heft yet soft and with a bit of drape to it.

I was thinking about this today as I washed a pair of Momotaro 201s for the first time — I'd soaked them, and they had retained their crispness and that sheen that raw denim has as it wears.  I gave them a thorough wash by hand, hung them out and they're still stiff as a board; scrunch them and they do actually go "crunch".  It's been a while since I've had raw jeans as I mostly buy them from people who've chosen the wrong size and have at least soaked them or washed them once.

Anyway, I imagine you're correct in assuming the stiffness is due to starch/sizing, they're softer than either my SC47s or 66s.

I just picked up a pair of new one-wash Okinawas, and they almost feel like they should be raw to me. Not crazy stiff or anything, but for their weight they feel pretty rigid considering they've been washed. 

I'm comparing these to various other raw and washed denims, including a one-wash Samurai OG jacket I recently got, which was very soft.

I have right now about as fresh a pair of one wash Okinawa as can be (they've never been worn). My denim frame of reference is not as large as others and my terminology sucks, but they strike me as soft more or less (softer looking and feeling than a pair of sanforised denim dried after a soak or wash), but because of the scrapy, rough, nubby nature of the fabric (rougher than I've ever touched), they don't feel so soft to the touch.

So i trolled the internet and found myself on woman's exotic leather handbag forums and cowboy forums whose weekend shit kickers are exotic reptile hides and came to the conclusion that cleaning and protecting snake skin are two different requirements.  I dont care about cleaning so I ignored that aspect.  Concluded that "fine" beeswax helps soften and preserve snake and alligator hides.  I put Obenaufs (not sure if this is considered fine beeswax but I dont really care) on my Oki's patch and indeed it made it more supple and pliable.  Less papery, more like leather.  Just fyi

got called out in the how do jeans fit thread for bumping it up without pics so i took new pics tonight. figured i would share them here too.

all fits can be found here

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/7076-how-do-jeans-fit-description-and-pictures/page-127#entry3145858

natural indogo edo ai sc40500N size 29 size down one

SC_zps510c001c.jpg

Edited by chantheman

My Okinawas are now officially called my „girly-pants“ by my girlfriend. Because of the flowery Sashiko embroidery on the back pocket…

On that topic: did anybody ever did a 1 on 1, Okinawa vs. Hawaii comparison. Ideally worn by the same person over the same amount of time? The “Battle of the Islands�

I talked to MaxPower and Flash about it. It would be an interesting concept.