Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

It's pretty simple why there is such a big difference...because they shrink them nearly down to their end size with their one-wash method. So as long as you don't want to machine wash your jeans, you won't get them to shrink that much.

As you are hesitant to wash because of the patch, size 31 would be the better option for you

You can take Rakuten retailers' measurements with a pinch of salt, they're all over the place and invariably wrong. However, any statistician will tell you that a scattergun approach will hit the target eventually!

It's pretty simple why there is such a big difference...because they shrink them nearly down to their end size with their one-wash method. So as long as you don't want to machine wash your jeans, you won't get them to shrink that much.

As you are hesitant to wash because of the patch, size 31 would be the better option for you

I don't want to waste the patch on a useless wash. If you say I could get them down to 31 I maybe give it a try, but than again, it could stretch out too much?

You can take Rakuten retailers' measurements with a pinch of salt, they're all over the place and invariably wrong. However, any statistician will tell you that a scattergun approach will hit the target eventually!

Let's say that my first attempt was the scattergun approach, and that it missed (eventually). Next time I sniper :P

Anyway, I have compared SE (inches) and Hinoya (cm) charts, they are mostly alike.

There is a ton of shrinkage left in those, and though the patch might lose it's glossy lacquer like finish, you aren't going to seriously compromise the patch with one or two hot machine washes.  

While that cut looks like it might be fuller than you need, sizing down isn't going to solve your problem…there will still be lots of room in the thighs.  The jeans look extra full on you right now because a) they haven't fully shrunk  B) they are super rigid c) even though you have a large cuff on them, there is a ton of break.  If you want to take an earnest swing at making those work for you, you'll need to get them to full shrinkage, break them in/soften them up a little, and either cuff them up or get them hemmed (probably both).

I love that cut myself, and think it'll look great on you in time.

Fuck you're persuasive - maybe I'll give it a try.

But to clarify this; I really am only concerned with the waist, the fuller legs plus higher rise were what get me interested in vintage cuts.

:)

Edited by Blue Nemo

I just got my Okinawas from the same sale at Ushowu, great deal as I have been wanting a pair for a long time. It seems I sized right at 34, usually i'm a 33 or 32 but I do have a few pairs of Sugarcane in 34. Great jeans for sure, love the vintage cut. And we all know how outstanding the denim is.

BF is correct. I have a pair if 34s 1947 that are very old, they fit so much smaller than my 2 month old 1947s.

but really though, I think they are a bit too large for you. Gotta build them wheels up, that's when vintage cuts look the best IMO. 

Edited by ColdsnapBryan

Fuck you're persuasive - maybe I'll give it a try.

But to clarify this; I really am only concerned with the waist, the fuller legs plus higher rise were what get me interested in vintage cuts.

:)

If all you're concerned with is the waist.  You'll be fine.  Based on how they fit raw in the photo, I imagine you could get into the 31s, but you'd have to be very careful not to shrink them too much. There is only so much I can tell through pictures, but I'm pretty confident 32 is your size in these.  The Okinawa denim is very starchy when it is raw, so I'm guessing you achieved minimal shrinkage with your first soak.  You've just got to go for the shrinkage, and you'll be golden.  Enjoy them, such great jeans!

Okay, I got some results.
I did 2 washes in the machine, both 60°C, and although I like the overall silhouette, the waist is still 84cm/33inch. Which is still 2 less than targeted... It could be okay, if it stays that way, but we all know, that is not going to happen :D

Don't want to jump on conclusions, but maybe a 31 is better. The waist should fit snug, anything else can fly...

kdc3i6o4.jpg

b7v5s348.jpg

zitee337.jpg

Thanks so far & have a nice one!

As a couple of people may know, I was lucky enough to visit Nihon Menpu, who make most of Sugar Can's fabrics, back in the summer of 2012. If you're interested in finding out more about this amazing process, please check out this story..

THe work behind Edo Ai is even more painstaking than I imagined... it all happens here:

Kasedyeing_zps64e4c0fd.jpg

Great minds eh, b_F! I saw those at Men at Work - was that a 50% discount? Why did you need a proxy?

My 32s measure 33 in the waist, pulled tight BiG style, so I imagine yours will be around 35.

They look far more 'neppy' with the Sugar Cane in real life than the pictures show, although this may be because they're raw and will lose some of this effect after a wash.

Yeah, you and me have great taste ;)

Na..only 30%off. If I would have bought a second pair, there would have been 50%off of the second pair. We should have talked beforehand :D

Menatwork only ships to the Netherlands and Belgium, so Seul helped me out. Great dude!

From the pictures I would say my pair is one-wash. I heard the Slack Denim is stretchy but there were so few measurements, I thought I rather play it safe and take my usual size 34. I am sure they will make great summer jeans with the loose weave and the 13oz :)

I know exactly what you mean by the difference between pictures and the real-life experience. When I had my SC40400 hanging to dry I could stare at the denim for hours and thinking:  â€œYeah, that’s what it’s all about!â€.

Bringing me back to the beginning of my denim journey where everything was new and exciting. Those pants brought that feeling back and I guess the SC40601 will not disappoint me as well.

So…enough of those sentimental nonsense! (but somehow we have to fill this silly season that’s happening right now…)

I understand your sentiments and think that the SC40601 seem very exciting, they're just so different to anything else I have, even my Hawaiis. The denim isn't very rigid considering it's raw and in the hour or 2 I wore them around the house today (raw, without a belt) the waist has already stretched even though they weren't tight to begin with. This makes me think they will stretch quite a bit, so in conjunction with the loose cut and slack denim, should definitely make for some good summer lovin' wear!

I also have a pair on the way to me from Belgium.

I guess you bought size 32 then? I went with size 34, bought them from Menatwork with a nice discount and Seul proxied them for me :)

I'm interested to hear the measurements once you get 'em.

Great minds eh, b_F! I saw those at Men at Work - was that a 50% discount? Why did you need a proxy?

My 32s measure 33 in the waist, pulled tight BiG style, so I imagine yours will be around 35.

They look far more 'neppy' with the Sugar Cane in real life than the pictures show, although this may be because they're raw and will lose some of this effect after a wash.

Interested to hear the measurements of these jeans.

Measurements size 32 (raw, BiG style):

Waist: 33"

Front rise: 12.4

Back rise: 15.8"

Thigh: 13"

Hem: 9.1"

Inseam: 36"

Notable features:

- selvage flannel pocket bags

- buffalo leather patch

- lined back pockets

- black anodised fly buttons