Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

yeah i went back today after some thought and picked up the hawaii's in a size that matches the okinawas. i was planning to exchange the 47s but couldn't bring myself to do it. dealt with kiya this time. apparently the guy who helped me on saturday is neither wade nor chad, but clay, which is sort of like wade and chad but not really. anyway kiya was just as much a gentleman, and an obvious scholar of denim to boot. thanks much.

ok, so first impressions: obviously much lighter than the okinawas, and very "mottled" in appearance. for whatever reason didn't look quite as green today, possibly because i was outdoors in the warm late afternoon sun and not indoors. a very complex look to the denim that i really, really like but might be harder to deal w/ than the okinawas on a day-to-day basis.

i wore them out of the store, walked about 20 blocks in the mission, drove around a bit, walked around some more at night, etc. damn, these dogs are *scratchy*. much, much more than the okinawas. feels like some dude ran through a sugarcane field wearing the jeans and got splinters all in the ass. i don't know if this is specific to hawaiis vs okinawas, or just specific to the 2 pairs of hawaiis and 2 pairs of okinawas i've tried on to date.

finally, kiya *assured* me that they are the same measurements as the okinawas but for whatever reason they feel tighter. i don't wear my jeans skinny, in fact by the standards of this spot i wear my jeans rather baggy. actually i sorta just go for classic "dungaree" fit. i wear carhartt dungaree carpenter pants to work and i try to get the same fit for jeans. but they feel tighter, maybe just because of scratchy denim.

thanks again, kiya + chad! three pairs of sugarcanes, sorted for denim for years!

The okinawa denim is a bit "springier" what I've been able to tell personally. The hawaiis bleed like a motherfucker. I have the 40400 rather than the 40401 and until the first machine wash I would look like papa smurf from the waist down when I took them off at the end of the day.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/123955901_f455b69186.jpg?v=0

not sure if the link will work, i dunno how to post pics from flickr.com

Anyway, those are my Okinawas at 3 months from 2 years ago. I know I'm a dweeb for not updating them more but that was before work got crazy. My point in showing them is that you can get quick and good fading from these jeans. I know they're supposed to be "natural" but they are the most bizarre in that the fading is so fast. My 3 other "natural" indigo jeans have barely a dent in them. The 3 months I wore them before this pic were hardly "heavy wear" months, just daily wear. I went through this "hawaii vs okinawa" dilemma years ago and I just liked the color of the Okinawas better.

those are nice, shinobi! did you stop wearing them around that time, or just stop taking pics?

hmmm perhaps im just riding my okinawas like a pu$sy :) im at about 100 days and just did my first wash last night. there is nothing quite as defined as what you have, just some more subtle lap and wallet fades. the patterns and colors that are emerging from the vertical falling are beautiful though...

ok, I agreed so I borrowed my friend's cam. I dont for the life of me understand why I can't get non-blurry pics. My friend insists it's because of low light or something but how the hell do you guys do it? Anyways, wanted to take a pic of all four of my major "children" so all are included int he family portrait but for the purposes of this thread, the Okinawas are the ones on the bottom left.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2010/2391957514_2cda4f2fae.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2391957552_818935d2be.jpg?v=0

shinobi, I hope my sugarcanes turns out like yours.

But here are some pics of me wearing my okis

I know, I know, it's not that great of pics. The camera isn't digital so it was hard to see if I got a great shot, just wanted to try out the fisheye. I'll take better pics soon..

25210001-1.jpg

25210004.jpg

these arent even fit pics, why not set the timer and set it on the table, or take a picture with a mirror..... pointless...

eitherway, waiting for the fit pics, very interested in the okinawas:)

oh and, detailed pics of the canes shinobi, please!

^^ they are not the same cut, the hawaii is a 47 repro, right hand twill and the okinawa is a 45 repro and left hand twill

They are very similar but the okinawa is slimmer, and because of the LHT gets a more defined grain.

they are both the 66 cut (according to bears). SC 45 is a lee repro and the okinawa is definitely not a lee repro.

but you are right, hawaii = RHT, lighter blue hawaii indigo, hair on hide patch. oki = lht, darker purplish oki indigo, snake skin patch. same cut.

Im excited to see how the faded multicolor weft jeans look!

Also, I'm thinking about getting my first pair of Sugar Canes. I like both the okinawa and the hawaii, and i hear they are the same cut, so what are the major differences that have sold you on em?

dude i asked this question on LITERALLY the last page, page 107

anyway i personally bought a pair of each (and a pair of 47s too) from @ self edge and per kiya's suggestion i've been diligently rotating the jeans every day (they are in rotation w/ two other pairs of jeans)

important to note that i prefer to wear jeans in one-wash state so i bought them in one-wash state

here is what i've noticed

1) hawaii is much more "colorful". this is totally obvious when you see them in person. the okinawa is a rather plain dark indigo, while the hawaii has a range of red-cast and green-cast highlights. hawaii also has more texture and falling. more streaky-looking than the okinawa and more mottled. more of a "handmade" appearance.

2) hawaii = scratchy as hell. the okinawa is scratchy compared to the 47 but nothing like the hawaii. the hawaii is somewhat "fuzzy" looking. the white cotton on the okinawa stands out more because the denim is darker.

3) fit feels more or less the same to me, but i'm not enough of an expert to tell you the difference between 501 45 and 501 47 off the top of my head. i can say that the hawaii is stretching less than the 47s, and the okinawa is stretching less than the hawaii.

i have heard from some people that the hawaii will fade faster than the okinawa but when i asked kiya he denied this. i suppose in about a year i will be able to speak to that a little more firmly.

I have own both if anyone wants side-by-sides. I also have a pair of both the hawaiis (50/50 and the SC40400 which is 100% natural)...

i'm always interested to see the pics of the 40400. yes please. also, did you get the same size in both pairs? the measurements on hinoya etc. seem so suggest that the 40400 run smaller?

I actually got the SC40400N in a raw state versus the 50/50 hawaii and okinawas which were already one-washed so I got away with buying a 36 in the 40400 whereas the other two are 38 (and I couldn't have fit into size 36 in the 50/50 ones)...

I'll try and get some pix up tomorrow.