why's this site dominated by males?

baldy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brand representation amongst girls isnt quite as popular.

sure, they'll wear pretty big brands for jeans but if they "find something cute" at old navy its not like they aren't going to buy it just cause the tag inside says old navy.

Guys are all about brand representation straight across the chest.

- drew

eusgro drender

Quote:

brand representation amongst girls isnt quite as popular.

sure, they'll wear pretty big brands for jeans but if they "find something cute" at old navy its not like they aren't going to buy it just cause the tag inside says old navy.

Guys are all about brand representation straight across the chest.

--- Original message by msodrew on Oct 2, 2005 11:05 PM

you dont think brands like juicy couture are popular cause they look "cute," do you?

Probably goes back to the fact that guys are territorial. You rep your city and where you grew up... likewise, you represent brands you stand behind. Girls don't really give a shit about the manifesto behind juicy... it's just some bitch with a superiority complex who decided to make a lot of money.

- drew

eusgro drender

yea these are all good pts. i was talking to my friend about salvedge denim and that its better quality and such and that she should try a pair. but i think she much prefers "what's in" cuz she has a mentality of moving with fashion trends like many other females out there. i guess they don't try to stick to their own style and keep it like guys try to. i guess girls and guys that really care about fashion have different ideas of doing so.

I think this site doesn't really cater to the interest of the majority of girls. Most of my friends in the fashion business aren't concerned about selvedge denim, urban design shirts, sweatshirts and sneakers. Funny thing is I'm not either. But everyonce in a while there are some conversations here which are interesting. So I keep coming around.

^ truth.

this site is about nerdy shit. selvedge denim jeans? urban designed t-shirts? sweatshirts?

noone of this belongs in a woman's wardrobe. selvedge isn't cut "cute" to accentuate the figure, urban shirts shouldn't even be on MEN let alone women unless it's a lazy day, and sweatshirts are another no-no in public unless you're buying milk, and even then it better be before 10 am or after 2 am.

and don't even get me started on sneakers.

I completely disagree that men are more inclined to represent a brand. The only branding I'll represent is a small logo on the corner of my polo shirts, and that's only because I don't want to deface the shirt by taking it off. I know a lot of guys who are the same way. Some people I know will not wear anything with logos, anywhere. Period.

Quote:

because the numbers show that there are significantly more men who use the internet than women. And men like using bbs's a lot more, on top of that.

--- Original message by jubei on Oct 3, 2005 01:55 PM

Completely false on both counts.

women have many, many more types of clothing than men do, so men have to be a little more industrious, hence obscure brand-names, hyperstrikes and hanging out on website for hours.

think about it, guys don't have the elaborate types of clothing that girls have, we basically have 4 types of shirts, 4 types of pants, 4 types of shoes and that's about it.

girls don't have to scour the internet because there is so much for women out there already without having to try that hard.

there's no real need for it.

i'm sure there are girls out there who do stuff like this, but the ratio on here speaks for itself...that's why whenever there's something 'new' (apc, etc), men are more willing to jump on it as fast as possible, and we're just as quick to call it 'played out' a few months later.

Yeah that's a good point. Also notice that the ratio of womens:mens clothing stores, in general, especially good ones, is like 10:1. That makes it a lot harder for a guy to go out and just go shopping and find something neat, without doing some internet research first.

Or maybe we're all just a bunch of nerds prone to internet research of things we obsess over. I know I am.

please retract the statement about guys loving logos plastered across their chest. you are the only one on this whole site that thinks that.

its not a guy thing or girl thing.

its a i give a shit and want to seek out interesting new stuff thing.

but i will say that there are a lot of kooks on this site benefiting from a hand full of people's knowledge and creativity.

Quote:

please retract the statement about guys loving logos plastered across their chest. you are the only one on this whole site that thinks that.

its not a guy thing or girl thing.

its a i give a shit and want to seek out interesting new stuff thing.

but i will say that there are a lot of kooks on this site benefiting from a hand full of people's knowledge and creativity.

--- Original message by ok on Oct 3, 2005 03:04 PM

dont be such a damn generic politician about it; not going on either side of the fence.

plus, he asked why males dominate it, not why you, specifically, are on this BB.

also, are you seriously going to deny brand representation? I mean, its in our psychology to be accepted, fit in, and "belong"... even to a subgroup of a subgroup of a fashion-taste. if you ever claim you're not a conformist then you'll just drown yourself in hypocrisy.

- drew

eusgro drender