why's this site dominated by males?

baldy

Guess it's more kind of knowing about the denim thing.

Most guys don't know about dry denim, so they don't wear it.

And when I tell people about dry denim, they think I wear dirty clothes, and I don't care about hygiene. Till they actually see the jeans with their own eyes, then they think 'mm, thats actually a quite nice pair of jeans' but most of them still hesistate to break in a pair of denim themselves. It just takes too much effort for them.

And I don't live in a big city, so most of my friends aren't into streetwear sorta things, guess that makes a difference too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other reason is girls have tons of fashion magazines to check out. Most girls I know would rather buy a handful of magazines over combing different forums for info.

Guys don't really have a lot of magazines as resources. We have magazines like Mass Appeal that has a few pages in each issue on streetwear or GQ can be okay at times. We also have magazines like Sport & Street and all the Japanese mags but they're mad expensive and not that accessible.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Quote:
Quote:

please retract the statement about guys loving logos plastered across their chest. you are the only one on this whole site that thinks that.

its not a guy thing or girl thing.

its a i give a shit and want to seek out interesting new stuff thing.

but i will say that there are a lot of kooks on this site benefiting from a hand full of people's knowledge and creativity.

--- Original message by ok on Oct 3, 2005 03:04 PM

dont be such a damn generic politician about it; not going on either side of the fence.

plus, he asked why males dominate it, not why you, specifically, are on this BB.

also, are you seriously going to deny brand representation? I mean, its in our psychology to be accepted, fit in, and "belong"... even to a subgroup of a subgroup of a fashion-taste. if you ever claim you're not a conformist then you'll just drown yourself in hypocrisy.

--- Original message by msodrew on Oct 3, 2005 03:14 PM

i think people get way too abstract about the 'meaning' of logos.

i would like to think that, overall, people buy things with logos on them because they like the design of the piece as a whole, especially people on here.

armenian club douches who rock green t-shirts with a huge 'D & G' on them are obviously stupid, but i think that we should give people on here a little more credit.

but back on task, girls definitely have way more varied sources than guys have.

kind of off topic but i just got to thinking, is there a market for dry women's jeans? i am just thinking that a dry jean would look ridiculous on a female and not really fit them right at all and probably be extremely uncomfortable. maybe someone knows something i don't.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know many chicks who'd wear the same pair of jeans for 8 months straight without washing em...

--- Original message by Handlethevibe on Oct 3, 2005 01:24 PM

um, how many GUYS do you know who would do that?

--- Original message by shoegal on Oct 3, 2005 01:29 PM

uumm... maybe mnost of the poeple here??

chwa?

^^I would say it depends on the weight of the denim and how well they are cut. I think dry denim for girls is ideal, if they buy them fitted, wear them and stretch them out, after a wash they will get nice and tight again. PLUS they are so much more fitted than guys jeans, so they would get some ace contrast lines.

Girls dry denim is hard cause it will give so much in first few days. So a super slim fit that looks hot on girls when bought would become a little too baggy until washed.

Dammit.

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

Imperial Brand Clothing - [url=" http://www.imperial.st"] <a href="http://www.imperial.st" target="_blank">http://www.imperial.st</a>

I'm guessing if a woman wants dry jeans, it's for the dry look - not the broken in 6+ months down the road look. I thought a pair of one-wash (pretty much dry) Earnest Sewns looked pretty good so I steered my wife to them and it turned out she really liked the dark, dry look, so she got them. At the same time, I don't think it's hard to find the appeal of the dry look when there's such a glut of the pre-distressed jeans on the market.

She definitely makes fun of me for obsessing over my RRDS though... like she'll act like she's going to spill shit on me or she'll ask me to feed my son when I have them on.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please retract the statement about guys loving logos plastered across their chest. you are the only one on this whole site that thinks that.

its not a guy thing or girl thing.

its a i give a shit and want to seek out interesting new stuff thing.

but i will say that there are a lot of kooks on this site benefiting from a hand full of people's knowledge and creativity.

--- Original message by ok on Oct 3, 2005 03:04 PM

dont be such a damn generic politician about it; not going on either side of the fence.

plus, he asked why males dominate it, not why you, specifically, are on this BB.

also, are you seriously going to deny brand representation? I mean, its in our psychology to be accepted, fit in, and "belong"... even to a subgroup of a subgroup of a fashion-taste. if you ever claim you're not a conformist then you'll just drown yourself in hypocrisy.

--- Original message by msodrew on Oct 3, 2005 03:14 PM

i think people get way too abstract about the 'meaning' of logos.

i would like to think that, overall, people buy things with logos on them because they like the design of the piece as a whole, especially people on here.

armenian club douches who rock green t-shirts with a huge 'D & G' on them are obviously stupid, but i think that we should give people on here a little more credit.

but back on task, girls definitely have way more varied sources than guys have.

--- Original message by boystory on Oct 3, 2005 03:48 PM

that about wraps it up, correctly.

- drew

eusgro drender

i agree with you guys

if a girl is going for dry she isnt worried about the result because she can duplicate it with just a wash jean much easier than we can.

and a girls legs are in much greater contact wth the jean than a mans so they get much better wear over the course of 4-6 monts than we would get for 6-8.

i was just using that was a generalization

chwa?

the reason is because that other web site exists.

its basically totally catered towadr there type of stuff

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

i think you guys are focusing too much on the denim factor. i mean, sure a girl wouldn't come here and be like, oh i wanna get a dry pair of selvage and break em in, but i just wonder why they don't come in and ask questions like "why's true religions so popular" or "what company makes really soft fitted tees?" and stuff like that you know. a lot of you guys are saying that girls don't come on here because they don't need to know the questions we ask, but im saying why don't they come here to ask other questions, more female related topics.

One question to ask is: how did everyone find this site? I found it looking for Big E Levi's. I'm sure that a lot of other people found it from looking for mens jeans. Another thing that was kind of hinted at but nobody really said, is that subcultures are, for the most part, dominated by males. Most of the people who are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of time looking for the most obscure and elite brands of clothing that nobody else knows about are going to be males, because as someone else said, for men good style is more about subtleties. For woman good style is more about showing off their best assets.

Quote:

i think you guys are focusing too much on the denim factor. i mean, sure a girl wouldn't come here and be like, oh i wanna get a dry pair of selvage and break em in, but i just wonder why they don't come in and ask questions like "why's true religions so popular" or "what company makes really soft fitted tees?" and stuff like that you know. a lot of you guys are saying that girls don't come on here because they don't need to know the questions we ask, but im saying why don't they come here to ask other questions, more female related topics.

--- Original message by baldy on Oct 3, 2005 08:27 PM

Haha man you just quoted DCTMFC there. There are lots of questions here about selvage and shit like because there has been lots of newbies lately. Have you noticed that some threads bump to the top every minute? Not the case back in the beginning of the year.

Also I concur with that whole girls have more clothing resources than guys thing. I think the major contributing factor to the "men outside of japan" lack of clothing and resources would be the fact that the majority of men (outside of japan) still don't give a fuck enough to care.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by baldy on Oct 3, 2005 08:27 PM

Haha man you just quoted DCTMFC there. There are lots of questions here about selvage and shit like because there has been lots of newbies lately. Have you noticed that some threads bump to the top every minute? Not the case back in the beginning of the year.

Also I concur with that whole girls have more clothing resources than guys thing. I think the major contributing factor to the "men outside of japan" lack of clothing and resources would be the fact that the majority of men (outside of japan) still don't give a fuck enough to care.

--- Original message by super on Oct 3, 2005 09:36 PM

they give a fuck, they just give a fuck about different stuff.

most 'fashion guys' are metro assholes who were dolce suits with flip flops and a gaudy belt buckle.

Wild Whiskey,

I love you man, but it's pretty much Marketing 101 that men are by and large "far" more brand conscious and brand loyal than are women. And it's not as simple a guys wanting to flaunt wealth, so just because there is no logo doesn't mean someone is not brand loyal. Just think of the behaviour guys here and on the other forum exhibit when they perceive an attack on the quality of their favorite brand, be it APC or Kiton.

LA.

Quote: Wild Whiskey,

I love you man, but it's pretty much Marketing 101 that men are by and large "far" more brand conscious and brand loyal than are women. And it's not as simple a guys wanting to flaunt wealth, so just because there is no logo doesn't mean someone is not brand loyal. Just think of the behaviour guys here and on the other forum exhibit when they perceive an attack on the quality of their favorite brand, be it APC or Kiton.

LA.

I agree that men are more brand-loyal than women. I feel the same thing from time to time - I don't want to branch out because there are a few "givens" who seem to be satisfying 90% of the time. I was referring to flaunting the logos in my post. I don't think that MOST guys buy the newest BAPE collabo shirt just so other guys in-the-know can go "oh thats sick/dope/whatever gay word I'm using right now." *tongue planted firmly in cheek*

Quote: it's pretty much Marketing 101 that men are by and large "far" more brand conscious and brand loyal than are women.

If you think that's the case, then I'd say you know about as much about marketing as you do about women. Market research has consistently indicated that women are, generally speaking, more brand loyal than men. Every woman I know has a couple of brands (especially when it comes to cosmetics and clothing) that she trusts and uses almost as if they are produced specifically for her (the only companies whose products I think I'd truly miss are Apple, Technics and Nike). Brand consciousness varies more with age and disposable income, but again (and especially where fashion and style are concerned...although flip it over for autos and IT) women pay more attention than men.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 4, 2005 at 12:22 PM

First of all, attitude. Second, thanks for the compliment, but I don't know *that much* about women. About marketing studies however, you just happen to be wrong, your anecdotal evidence notwithstanding. I can give actual references; but I think that would be overkill seeing that you pulled your "market research" directly out of your bunghole. Men are, in fact, and in nearly all sectors, soft goods included, much more brand loyal than are women.

I'd have to agree with LA Guy that men are generally more loyal to brands then women. My dad, for instance, has worn the same uniform since he was in college, while my mom's wardrobe tends to change more with fashion. I've also, for the most part, worn the same brands for a long time, and that's not very likely to change. Personally, I think that a man's style should remain fairly consistent. A man should be confident and secure; a man whose style is constantly changing strikes me as being kinda effeminate. Women have to keep men interested. A woman's style tends to be just as everchanging as her emotional state.

Being a woman who frequents this site, I find it fascinating to see what brands stimulate conversation amongst you guys. Women don't find the need to log on to a message board and scour the globe for some limited edition _____ (fill in the blank) that was only released in the remote region of the Andes where you need an oxygen mask and a goat to purchase said item. We get together and go shopping. It has little to do with our desire to wear name brands or not and more to do with how we shop. Like a pack of wolves, or a lone soldier we set out on a mission to buy something in particular or to bullshit with are girls talking about y'all when we happen to come across something fabulous that we must own. Think of the most stylish women you know.... can you imagine all of them posting info on a message board about some hot new limited edition zac posen bag? No, one bitch will go buy it and tell her girls it was the last one. Ha. Or can you image us discussing the best way to wash a silk top. No. It’s absurd. That’s what ya'll do. I’m not knocking it, but that should sum up why the site is so male dominated.

Quote:

Men are hunters, women are gatherers. Men will spend weeks tracking their pray, the limited edition dunks. Women will gather a surplus in a single day, so much that most of it will hardly be put to use. Most of my clothes are kept in the rotation, or sold. Women have closets full of stuff that they never wear.

--- Original message by AmericanTemplar on Oct 4, 2005 01:39 PM

but I have shit I never wear also but I track limited editions like they are gold? what does that make me?

-don't hate, appreciate-

It's kinda hard to say either way. Haven't you seen those girls who wear ONLY aeropostle? Like every fucking thing they own?

Also, getting together and going shopping isn't the best method of acquiring goods. A lot of times you won't run into something really great, because chances are only a couple of stores even have it.

Quote:

It's kinda hard to say either way. Haven't you seen those girls who wear ONLY aeropostle? Like every fucking thing they own?

Also, getting together and going shopping isn't the best method of acquiring goods. A lot of times you won't run into something really great, because chances are only a couple of stores even have it.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Oct 4, 2005 02:27 PM

Whiskey,

Well, general marketing studies are based on statistically significant sampling of (hopefully) unskewed populations. There are obviously exceptions within any population, and it is easy to conceive that there are even subpopulations that are composed entirely of such exceptions.

hey guys. i wasnt being generic. i was serious when i said you are barking up the wrong tree saying it is black and white...men and women.

my background is marketing. people are brand loyal. men arent more brand loyal and neither are women. hispanics arent more than african americans.

yes. different groups may be more brand loyal to different brands but enough with these all encompassing statements.

think about brand loyalty and fit of clothing. brand loyalty and status. brand loyalty and geographic location.

**the brands we discuss on this site and the topics in general are more suited to men...holy shit: i am super surprised more dudes are on this site.

also-maybe as i said before-a lot of guys on here may not be very confident and may be looking more for advice and guidance.