Post your Fall/Winter Jackets...

kracksnack

for the ultra cold days in toronto : arctyrix jacket. this one is warmer than down but less puffier and lighter. it has a goretex shell and is all black. even the logo, thank you!!

for the fall days : either my beat up barbour jacket with something underneath it

or a filson jacket with its mackinaw 22 oz liner that is removable.

doom

the eclipse is nigh

Quote:

for the ultra cold days in toronto : arctyrix jacket. this one is warmer than down but less puffier and lighter. it has a goretex shell and is all black. even the logo, thank you!!

for the fall days : either my beat up barbour jacket with something underneath it

or a filson jacket with its mackinaw 22 oz liner that is removable.

doom

--- Original message by doom on Sep 30, 2005 10:10 AM

Hey Doom,

What's the name of this Arc'teryx jacket you talking about?

just bought this really nice g-starr coat for cold winter days, black and very long, they go down to my knees, they are in a very tight cut which makes it even better en look great with jeans, i'll post some pics. soon

''Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing those things ''.

Quote:

hey minya, would would be a good warm enough jacket for the winter in Canada?

People around where im located wear ulgy-ass snorkel jackets, and im trying to find a decent looking coat for winter, but with no luck

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Sep 30, 2005 06:41 PM

I dunno. This is only my second year here, and I survived my first Canadian winter with an ugly-ass but certainly very functional snowboarding jacket from Sportcheck. Thick as hell, includes a fleece base layer. I haven't found anything really exciting to replace it.

Downwith--- I don't think the paul smith jacket is available online at this time or will be ever

It is a limited edition item like all the MarkIIIX product none of which is even featured in their

catalogs. BUT! I do have them ordered for the shop and hope to receive them in the next week or two I already have received some of the pants and a super dope wallet so I know they have started shipping. If you want e-mail me at [email protected] also if anyone is

interested in arc'teryx drop me a line.

dnn--- This question about Gore-Tex has been asked many times on SF and the answer

is both yes and no depending on application. The ratio of H20proof VS breathability is

the best on the market hands down. there are many types of Gore-Tex also

Windstopper,XCR and traditional Gore. If you live in a relatively dry climate such as myself

(Colorado) It is'nt mandatory at all. the snow here has a relatively low moisture content. If

you live in an area that has wetter snow or rain it will serve you best, but their are a lot of

waterproof/breathable laminates that work great and almost all the top companies offer their

own proprietary versions in addition to Gore (except Arc'teryx They only use Gore at this time) many of which are identical coming from companies such as Toray which allows these

companies to give their own name to it. Do you want the best? I do! just in case that shitty

day comes along and I don't want to be bummin. Better to be bombproof than cut a day on

the hill short. The best days are usually when the weather is worst and everyone with their

cheap shit have bailed. REMEMBER Gore-tex is not about warmth it will keep you dry and

windproof only. there is very little insulation factor it's all about layering.

hey kracksnack,

that arctyrix jacket i have was bought last year at sporting life in toronto. i don't know the name but it has a similar insulating material like thinsulate called polartec, i think. definitely not thinsulate. it is not a shell because there is a thickness. not much. this jacket is the warmest jacket i have ever owned. on the coldest day last year in toronto i only wore a tshirt underneath the jacket. i am so glad that i got this jacket.

the eclipse is nigh

from what i have heard, goretex is a membrane. if you sweat a lot , your sweat may appear as moisture inside your goretex shell and you by this are thinking that the shell is not waterproof where in fact it was the sweat which deluded you into thinking that the jacket is leaking.

i have been told that it is imperative that you wash you goretex jacket on a yearly basis and treat the outside coating with that special spray.

any comments on the above?

the eclipse is nigh

warmest Arc'teryx jackets

Fission series AR,Belay,LT and SV all are Gore-tex w/ Primaloft insulation same as in a synthetic sleeping bag.

Easyrider model softshell with polatec thermalpro and powersheild.

many others available but these are by far their warmest

My knowledge on the subject is very limited.. but from what I understand, Gore-tex is actually just a coating on the jacket (a waterproof and windproof coating) so when you wash the jacket you lose the Gore-tex coat, and need to re-treat it.

I would also assume that if liquid can't get in.. it can't get out either.

Thanks Pancho for clearing that up icon_smile_shy.gif

Edited by powerglov on Oct 2, 2005 at 02:24 PM

DOOM---

Gore-tex is a membrane usually laminated to a face fabric. If you are being very aerobic

moisture can build up because it is not evaporating through the fabric faster than you are

producing. that is why there are different types of gore. Windstopper is much more breathable and is good for aerobic applications. As for jackets appearing wet that is the face

fabric which can and should be treated so water will bead off but you won't get wet because

the gore will protect you under the face fabric. As for care you should only wash any water-

proof jackets in powdered detergent because liquid soaps will clog the pores and inhibit the

breathability and also hang dry. When treating the face fabric (rewaterproofing) use a product

such as nikwax there are different types of products for use on particular face fabrics, read the

labels. When you do retreat your jacket you may put it in the dryer to activate the coating and help it bond to the fabric but don't dry when just cleaning this will cause premature wear.

this fall... its like fall all year round in england.. haha

im rocking:

a burgundy classic barbour oilskin

BarbourCouple.jpg

mint-green vintage short jacket [looks just like marc jacobs !] - as a light jacket

vintage aquascutum plaid double-breasted longcoat

vintage aquascutum plaid mid-length double-breasted jacket [used to be a longcoat, but i reshaped it to a mid/short jacket.. looks cool with the double set of buttons!]

navy gloverall duffel jacket [with custom button + safety pin fixings! haha]

oversized red quilted jacket [with star shaped quilting] - looks pretty japanese..

vintage olive/green tenson hunting jacket

vintage olive/green peter storm hunting jacket

i guess thats it for the fall jackets.. i shold get some pics up..