Buying a custom tailored suit in Hong Kong

cHr

Next friday I'm leaving for a trip from Moskva to Hong Kong. In this last city I want to use the opportunity of using the prevailing (supposely excellent) tailors. I never owned a custom tailored suit and besides the tips once read in the GQ I don't know a lot about buying tailored suits.

Because of that I would appreciate some tips on the subject. A friend of mine told me to start with if I have anything in mind (say dior-esque or savile row) it's important to bring a picture, because that will save a lot of words and it's obviously more effective. Anything else to add to that?

On the other hand I would like to get some tips on which tailors in Hong Kong to go to. I don't know if there is a lot of price/quality difference between the tailors you find in travelguids (or aren't they to be used at all?), so tips are very welcome. Will they be able to talk proper English or will this cause some problem?

At last what prices should I be thinking of. I'm planning to get a more fashionable black suit and a more conservative grey one. I'm thinking of light wool (super 200 or so) as the material for both of them. I'm also thinking about getting some tailored shirts as well. Any info will be much appreciated.

For custom shirts I used Jantzen and was happy with the quality.

http://www.jantzentailor.com/

I can't remember the name of the place I used for suits, it was in central somewhere. I know there is a lot of places for suits around Nathan Road. Sams Tailor is suppossed to be good, possibly high mark ups due to being very touristy.

I know Landy (on this board) who got some made from www.hkbroadwaycustomtailor.com and the suits came out great.

Definitely take a picture with you, the more info you give them the better.

use the search function or go to styleforum for sartorial needs.

tons of tailors out there in HK - high end places include WW Chan, Gordon Yao or Y William Yu. Despite the high premium, you can also find a lot of decent tailors for half the price but you should really know what you want and a picture or a good fitting blazer from your personal collection should help tailors understand what you want.

3 fittings should be the minimal requirement.

i can vouch for jantzen - had several shirts made there. if you want really fine shirts, however, I highly recommend Ascot Chang's in the Peninsula Hotel. You have to make a minimum purchase of three which will come to about $450 on the more "conservative side." However, the quality is amazing and once you're in the system you can make purchases of any quantity you like at any of their branches world wide.

As for suits I go to Sam's tailor. I've been there twice and taken friends and everyone I've been with has raved about the work. IMO you can get the most for your money with Sam. His service is great and if you deal with his son, Roshan get to know him and he'll hook you up on some "deals." My mates and I spent a lot of time in the shop and got to know Roshan and Sam pretty well (and I didn't see him interacting with other customers like he did with us so i don't think it was a show) and we keep in touch over facebook and every time we visit he hooks us up with deals and entrance to clubs and what not. Sam has also said he'll make any alterations or touch ups on the house, so the next time I visit I'll take my suits to have them fixed where the f'en dry cleaner shrunk the liner.

If you are looking for something a little finer I have also had a suit made at Jimmy Chen's in the Peninsula Hotel and can say that it is the nicest suit I have ever owned. Expect to pay closer to a grand but keep in mind you'd be paying almost twice in the states for a similar quality suit.

Hope this helps!

I concur - you MUST have an idea of what you want. I'm talking right down to the functional buttons. If you don't ask they won't assume. Know what cut you want, number of vents, type of cuf, pockets, lapel type, etc. and don't forget about shirts. There are litteraly hundreds of collar, button, cuf combinations and you don't want to be that tourist dude standing dumb struck not knowing anything when Sam is measuring you up. Also, yes, you need a min. of three fittings and try to stick around for the final product rather than have it shipped. Don't be affraid to speak your mind during the fittings. If you don't like how something looks let them know and they will be happy to work with you. It's your money!

use the search function or go to styleforum for sartorial needs.

tons of tailors out there in HK - high end places include WW Chan, Gordon Yao or Y William Yu. Despite the high premium, you can also find a lot of decent tailors for half the price but you should really know what you want and a picture or a good fitting blazer from your personal collection should help tailors understand what you want.

3 fittings should be the minimal requirement.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

Choosing a custom tailored suits and shits is not easy task, and it is even more difficult to find the good store that offers nice collection of custom dressses. Try any online store there you can find stores that specifically deals in custom tailored suits and shirts, it will help you in selecting right suit fro your self.

Regards,

sarah_9