All-Time Classic Brands

MilSpex

What are your nominations for gear brands that are all-time classics, never go out of style and can complement a lot of relatively modern classics like Supreme, WTAPS, Visvim, GoodEnough, A Bathing Ape etc?

So far I got:

Polo Ralph Lauren

Clarks

Rolex

Levi`s

Nike

Vans

Adidas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how I forgot Dickies....

Oh yeah, I forced them out of my memory when teenagers started wearing their red, or blue khakis.

Curious as to how Orvis, Barbour, and Russell Moc's mix well with brands like WTAPS and BAPE?

They are classic brands, most definitely, just not ones that mesh well (imo) with the brands listed in MilSpex's original post.

Sadly, I think one of the few that hasn't been included yet is U.S. Army & Navy gear (if you could even call it a brand). I say sadly because the list of "classics" that mix well is so small that it doesn't leave much room to create new combinations.

Curious as to how Orvis, Barbour, and Russell Moc's mix well with brands like WTAPS and BAPE?.

I think these brands work well together because they are built on the ideals of strength and quality. Supreme means 'no higher', Wtaps philosophy is 'Craft With Pride - Rise Above'.

Brands like those mentioned above are for utility and therefore are created with these same ideals in mind. Filson's tags for example say 'Might As Well Have The Best'

I suppose it comes down to how you wear your gear at least that's how it seems to me.

Sadly, I think one of the few that hasn't been included yet is U.S. Army & Navy gear (if you could even call it a brand). I say sadly because the list of "classics" that mix well is so small that it doesn't leave much room to create new combinations.

Or you could get more specific and list the individual manufacturers that supply the military with gear through government contracts, e.g. Alpha Industries, Rothco, Sterlingwear, etc.

Tommy Killniggas

Nautica

How are these brands "classic" by any definition? They're nothing but a diluted tincture of Ralph Lauren, who had himself diluted the glory days of Brooks Brothers, who themselves had stepped on the product of Jermyn Street and Savile Row, flavoring their ready-to-wear with liberal lashings of polo kit and regimental stripes. But Tommy sure is the null point here. Simulacra of simulacra of simulacra.

Thread fails.

well played, keysonawire, you seem to be a man who knows what he is talking about

the lists so far have been heavily american-centric

christian dior anyone?

yeah coz nothing goes better than a preme tee and a pair of Dior jeans. (10)

Streetwear came from America. Dior is French.

How are these brands "classic" by any definition? They're nothing but a diluted tincture of Ralph Lauren, who had himself diluted the glory days of Brooks Brothers, who themselves had stepped on the product of Jermyn Street and Savile Row, flavoring their ready-to-wear with liberal lashings of polo kit and regimental stripes. But Tommy sure is the null point here. Simulacra of simulacra of simulacra.

Thread fails.

I don't really feel the need to defend myself. They are classic brands that are instantly recognizable (well maybe not all of Nautical). You have successfully flexed your prep wear knowledge muscle though. Can I suckle at your breasts?

If we are only listing people that did something first, this is going to be a really short thread.

Moving on...

There is a clear and obvious reason why this thread is American-centric.

I don't really feel the need to defend myself. They are classic brands that are instantly recognizable (well maybe not all of Nautical). You have successfully flexed your prep wear knowledge muscle though. Can I suckle at your breasts?

If we are only listing people that did something first, this is going to be a really short thread.

Moving on...

There is a clear and obvious reason why this thread is American-centric.

yep, skateboarding, hip hop and DJs..all the culture came from America..

yeah coz nothing goes better than a preme tee and a pair of Dior jeans. (10)

Streetwear came from America. Dior is French.

Exactly, thats why I was saying the list was inherently short. The list of brands that are classically paired with brands like Supreme, WTAPS, etc. are going to be the founders of streetwear staples (jeans, sweatshirts)... which are American inventions.

2008 actually marks the 80th anniversary of the hooded sweatshirt.

Exactly, thats why I was saying the list was inherently short. The list of brands that are classically paired with brands like Supreme, WTAPS, etc. are going to be the founders of streetwear staples (jeans, sweatshirts)... which are American inventions.

2008 actually marks the 80th anniversary of the hooded sweatshirt.

yeah.

btw the (10) denotes sarcasm. Supreme and Dior worn together is the dumbest thing ever.