morocco :: general

Serge

my advice would be to catch the train down to fez for the week! (it's about 5 hours on the train I think, and around $10USD for the ticket).

IMO tangier is not so great - bit of a dodgy port town, lots of people trying to scam you (I know, you'll get this everywhere in Morocco, but I think it's worse in Tangier).

Fez is a much nicer city IMO. The medina is amazing - no other words for it. You need to experience it. There is a medina in Tangier, but it's smaller, and less distinct from the rest of the city. Fez is also generally a little cheaper than Tangier, and maybe a little more relaxed in character.

With that said you'll have a great time wherever you are in Morocco, it's a fantastic place. Enjoy.

• 4 years later...

I'm going for almost 2 weeks... can't find any recommendations etc on here... I'm flying into Marrakech and will make my way up through Merzouga, Fez then Chefchaouen... any awesome stuff I should be doing, seeing, eating etc other than the obvious ones like go to local hammam and camp in the Sahara sand dunes which if all goes well I would do?

• 2 months later...

Heading to morroco at the end of February with my dad for 7 days when travel is all said and done. Thinking about doing Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech, and Essaouira. Is that too much to bite off? We're both photographers and really want to experience street/market culture and document that.

• 1 month later...