hong kong and vietnam in dec/jan... any suggestions?

sonik

i'm flying out to HK from New York Dec. 26 and then Vietnam Jan. 2nd and returning Jan. 17th

checking out the listings on superfuture for stores in hong kong.

any hotels anyone can suggest? what districts or areas to check out? i wanna see the big buddha and a friend owns a lounge in HK. so should be fun.

went to travelandleisure site for vietnam for hotels, restaurants, shopping, beaches, etc. pretty comprehensive. but if anyone has been there, let me know of anything that i should see or expect.

i'm vietnamese american going back for the first time so it should be interesting. one of my boyz, originally from chicago is working at an ad agency in saigon and living the baller lifestyle, has a beautiful model gf, has a huge villa...

Look for Sing or Queen cafes. Be aware that there are many "fake" Sing/ Queen cafes in Hanoi. You probably get best information by asking foreigners who stay longer there.

Sapa, a beautiful mountain town close to the Chinese border is a must. It could also be a base for further "cruises" into the mountains. You can buy a trip from Sing, but you can also buy just train ticket and get there by yoursefl: Night (special) train, then bus (many in front of the station). Keep the train ticket, they always check it when you leave the station. Be sure to get to the Ming Hong Hotel and get a room with a view to the mountain. I paid around 120tys vndong/ night in April02. Mrs Hong (the owner) is the first woman-guide in VN, and among the first mountain-guide ever in VN. A wonderful woman.

Hotels arrange trips for you. If you stay over the weekend you can go to Bac Thai market, the biggest one. You can buy everything in Hn anyway but "shopping" there is not the same. If you dare, go to the villages (with a guide:-) at night.

In Hanoi there are some places that have good food. "Bun vit" in Hang Dao, infront of a big watches shop, it is right in the street. "Pho ga" at Yet Kieu str. only in the morning. "Bun lo`ng" at Hom bazaar. "Pho thin" lo duc street... I think you can ask the hotel staff and they will tell you which one is right. Remember to tell the cook "no fat, ko mi` chi'nh" mnosodium glutamate)

Another must go is Hoi An. Be at 7-8 am at the local fish market. Someone might offer you a boat trip along the river for about 1 usd (15-20 min) (that happened to me:-) Ask hotel staff where to eat Cao Lau - as always, local rest. have better food than those for foreigners.

And in Saigon, take a Mekkong boat trip to Can Tho with Sing. That 's fun.

Enjoy, and make heavy bargain!!!

This is my reply actually - coudn't see it earlier

Look for Sing or Queen cafes. Be aware that there are many "fake" Sing/ Queen cafes in Hanoi. You probably get best information by asking foreigners who stay longer there.

Sapa, a beautiful mountain town close to the Chinese border is a must. It could also be a base for further "cruises" into the mountains. You can buy a trip from Sing, but you can also buy just train ticket and get there by yoursefl: Night (special) train, then bus (many in front of the station). Keep the train ticket, they always check it when you leave the station. Be sure to get to the Ming Hong Hotel and get a room with a view to the mountain. I paid around 120tys vndong/ night in April02. Mrs Hong (the owner) is the first woman-guide in VN, and among the first mountain-guide ever in VN. A wonderful woman.

Hotels arrange trips for you. If you stay over the weekend you can go to Bac Thai market, the biggest one. You can buy everything in Hn anyway but "shopping" there is not the same. If you dare, go to the villages (with a guide:-) at night.

In Hanoi there are some places that have good food. "Bun vit" in Hang Dao, infront of a big watches shop, it is right in the street. "Pho ga" at Yet Kieu str. only in the morning. "Bun lo`ng" at Hom bazaar. "Pho thin" lo duc street... I think you can ask the hotel staff and they will tell you which one is right. Remember to tell the cook "no fat, ko mi` chi'nh" mnosodium glutamate)

Another must go is Hoi An. Be at 7-8 am at the local fish market. Someone might offer you a boat trip along the river for about 1 usd (15-20 min) (that happened to me:-) Ask hotel staff where to eat Cao Lau - as always, local rest. have better food than those for foreigners.

And in Saigon, take a Mekkong boat trip to Can Tho with Sing. That 's fun.

Enjoy, and make heavy bargain!!!

A raving review just reached me about the Emporio Armani store at the junction of Chater Road and Pedder Street in Central. Awesome innovative design by Italian duo Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas that far exceeds the merchandise...

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

endless shopping if that's what you're looking for in HK.... depends on what you'r looking to buy... well don't expect the same like those big flagship boutiques in NYC or Tokyo....HK has its own special flavor... street talk is all about new International Financial Centre II.. in fact Armani flagship store is across the overhead bridge from IFC located in Chater House...across, it's Landmark, another shopping destination... if you like the local experience, catch the 2HKD tram else hop into a cab and head down the road to Pacific Place, Admiralty.... if that's not enuff to make you head for an hour of foot reflexology .... there's still Times Square, Causeway Bay and many interesting shops cluttered around that area... hey that's only HK island and we're not quite done yet you know.... there's still Kowloon side to explore along Nathan Road....Tsim Sha Tsui...ocean terminal.....enjoy!!