australia :: brisbane :: general

simcoo

Haha! Damn, I should have said something. I guess I was wearing pretty distinctly 'SuFu' brands so maybe that was it? Turns out he actually had a thing with my friend Robby. Bloody Brisbane, hah.

Nice dude. Hopefully catch you next time, man!

• 1 month later...

Hello Brisbane. I will be arriving in your fair city tomorrow morning (sat). I have a wedding on Sunday. And I will be going home Monday afternoon. How should I spend my little free time in your fair city? I'll be staying at the royal on the park.

I was told The Survey Co is good, is this true?

Any good places for coffee, lunch/dinner, sat night drinks etc? Any stores worth looking at? Is GOMA showing anything worthwhile at the moment?

All advice will be humbly accepted. Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any good stores still in Brisbane?

Last I heard Apartment was on the verge of closing done, which is quite a shame, easily my favorite store in the city - wish they'd pick up WTAPS since they already carry Neighborhood. 

Edited by Deux_Oiseaux

• 7 months later...

Any good stores still in Brisbane?

Last I heard Apartment was on the verge of closing done, which is quite a shame, easily my favorite store in the city - wish they'd pick up WTAPS since they already carry Neighborhood. 

I'm a seer: just looked at the webstore today, looks like Apartment now carries WTAPS!

Fallow got a bunch of new labels in apparently, I'm most excited by the accessories and perfumes. The Rigard sunglasses in particular really interest me. Dirtbox closed as well, I think Fallow absorbed the left-over stock: they had a bunch of Our Legacy stuff in there on markdown when I was there in December. I really like the store though, lovely retail space. Shame that not too much of it is my style

Edited by Deux_Oiseaux

• 5 months later...

Future Beauty is coming to Brisbane's Gallery of Modern Art!

avFbRyB.jpg

http://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/exhibitions/upcoming/futurebeauty

'Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion' explores the tremendous innovation of Japanese fashion designers from the early 1980s to the present. With nearly 100 garments featured in the exhibition, ranging from the classic and elegant to outrageous, this will be a fascinating experience and rare opportunity to view these unique creations first hand.

Japanese fashion made an enormous impact on world fashion in the late 20th century. Designers such as Issey Miyake, Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons and Yohji Yamamoto revolutionised the way we think of fashion today.

Their works will be shown alongside examples by the techno-couturier Junya Watanabe, a protégé of Kawakubo, together with the pioneer of the 'Ura-Harajuku' movement Jun Takahashi, and the new generation of radical designers including Tao Kurihara, Hiroaki Ohya, Matohu, Akira Naka, Hatra and mintdesigns.

Curated by eminent Japanese fashion historian Akiko Fukai, Director of the esteemed Kyoto Costume Institute in Japan, this exhibition explores the unique sensibility of Japanese design, and its sense of beauty embodied in clothing.

• 1 month later...

Anyone going to see any of these?

Forbidden Hollywood: The Wild Days of pre-Code Cinema
26 September – 2 November 2014
Australian Cinémathèque | Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA)
Free

'When I’m good, I’m very good. But when I’m bad, I’m better.'
Mae West as Tira in I’m No Angel 1933

Hollywood’s transition from silent to sound cinema in the early 1930s delivered some of the most risqué films seen onscreen until those of the late 1960s. ‘Forbidden Hollywood’ celebrates this unique period of creative freedom which ended with the reinstatement of traditional moral values through the Motion Picture Production Code in 1934.

Following the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and the Depression, struggling Hollywood studios sought to attract audiences by creating films that pushed the boundaries of social acceptability. With a gleeful mix of realism and glamour, these films tackled issues of sexuality and crime, social criticisms and a growing mistrust of authority. Strong women dominated the screen, scorning the prevailing Victorian-era ideals of passivity and purity, while stories about the police and gangsters were ripped straight from newspaper headlines during the Prohibition era.

gBAzBAX.jpg

I'm most excited to see Shanghai Express and 42nd Street, but I'm probably going to see as many as I can. Hope to see some of you there!

Edited by Saturdaynight Big Nukeman

• 2 weeks later...

So how had I not heard about Camargue up until now?

Looks like it's womenswear-centric, but also stocks menswear. Haider Ackerman, Bernhard Willhelm, Dries Van Noten, Guidi and more! Definitely going to check it out when I'm back in Australia

https://www.facebook.com/camarguefashion/timeline?ref=page_internal

Edited by Saturdaynight Big Nukeman

• 1 month later...

Future Beauty is fantastic and I urge everyone to go and see it for themselves - not just some breath-taking garments, but a great video/media archive as well

Also, Lav Diaz' "From What is Before" and Diao Yinan's "Black Coal, Thin Ice" are being screened as part of the Brisbane Asia Pacific Film Festival, among others, starting on the 29th of November

More here

http://brisbaneasiapacificfilmfestival.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Did you attend this deux?

I was in town , however did not take advantage.

Yeah, got a season pass, been a few times already

In addition to the pieces themselves, some of the footage they had was incredible, the 1 hour documentary exclusively for the exhibit (I think commissioned by the Barbican when it was showing there) was a particular highlight, but there was tons of rare runway footage that doesn't seem to be available anywhere else on the internet (Undercover's "Melting Pot" collection for example)

Well worth going to!

• 2 months later...