can somebody tell me if this is true? (film/editing/final cut question)

mackelface

so I've been using my school's lab for all my editing work but I want to start working at home on my macbook pro, I've downloaded music/software for years now and I always make sure to register any software that I dl.

my question: somebody I talked to said "DO NOT DOWNLOAD final cut!" because according to him, the movie will have an embedded thing that shows it was edited on a pirated copy. Is it true, or am I fine downloading a pirated copy?

Guest nondskrpt

Sounds like BS to me. Maybe the project file might have something in it that would indicate the copy isn' t legit, but if you export it as a quicktime file or transfer it to DV tape, there's nothing embedded in the actual video itself that say's "This was made on a pirated copy of FCP" Who would you be worried about seeing the film and knowing it's not a legal copy, and what file format would the finished product be in?

This example is one specific foundry:

All Letterhead Fonts are encrypted with the name, email and account ID of the original purchaser and date stamped. When we discovered the LHF Garner fonts being distributed, we deciphered the encrypted information and subsequently found that the fonts belonged to: Randy Howe, [email protected], Account ID: 2221 purchased on 6/26/07.

Whole story here (quite interesting)