The Music Swap Thread

jeepster

So I figured there are plenty of people who would love to get their hands on other posters music, so I figured, we should establish some sort of Music Swap, whether it be via the internet, or people burn CD's and other paypal them money for shipping. Jmatsu and I were talking about this before, and I'm always wondering what JPGM or notesee are diggin on, so I figured hey, why don't we all just share? Habia even pm'd me about it and I figured after so much interest voiced within that frame of time (like an hour or so) that it would be beneficial for the community at large to participate. There wouldn't be really a rewards system beyond rep and the thanks for providing a service, but I think it could be a cool idea and a real learning experience/social experiment to see if this could go through.

Any takers? Thoughts? Jmatsu?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do last.fm, but I kinda gave it up when my last comp died, and I never really got around to installing it again. Honestly, last.fm only provides the knowledge that some listens to it, it doesn't provide tangible listening material. That's why I made this thread, so we could actual get some of Jmat's obscure auditory-awesomeness, or that OMC could drop some knowledge - you know, the cornucopia of sharing n shit.

Cool, I would be game. I'd prefer sharing through the internet, SLSK, Waffles, Megaupload or Rapidshare, whatever really. I'm fucking terrible at making a mixtape though so I'd mostly do album rec's.

I haven't been too into music lately, atleast in comparison to a couple years ago so hopefully some of you can get me into some new shit.

Edit: My slsk and waffles username are the same as this one if anyone wants to browse me. Also if anyone needs help setting up slsk let me know. It can be kind of hard to get used to at first, and portforwarding is essential.

Guest jmatsu

jeep,

i wouldn't mind doing this, and i tried to create a thread like this a couple years ago. i don't if we are allowed to do this...

i mean we could talk about what we want, need and are willing to trade, but i think we aren't allowed to post mp3s here (i know its fuckin wack). i dunno, maybe the mod stopped binging a wussy in 08.

Well, the mods are afraid of us posting copyrighted materials, such as full albums, on the forum, because they don't wanna be lumped in with websites that provide illegal downloads. The difference between the downloads provided in the Electro thread or any other is that they either are uploaded to private sites, are original mixes or compilations that don't adhere to copyright law of the artist(s), or they are originals. Also, they may only be posted up in the format of MySpace or Youtube which provides a "one-time" listen (though you can listen as many times or download if its offered) but since its through another site, the copyright infringment does not fall upon the delicate size 42 shoulders of SuFu.

So, PM, mail, share links, share info, torrents, good spots to kopp, etc. - Think of it as a more gloabl Plusrep - instead of just electro, etc. etc., it's everything else and that.

jeep,

i wouldn't mind doing this, and i tried to create a thread like this a couple years ago. i don't if we are allowed to do this...

i mean we could talk about what we want, need and are willing to trade, but i think we aren't allowed to post mp3s here (i know its fuckin wack). i dunno, maybe the mod stopped binging a wussy in 08.

we could centralize this through another medium.

Or we could organize trade here and do it all through the mail, and from there i think that it should be free apart from the cost of postage. Such is trade.

Guest jmatsu

alright we should just post "wants" and trades here. obviously downloadable links are the easiest.

here is what i been listening too lately (not electro so gimme rep):

http://www.myspace.com/blackwidowleicester

i have links for most of their shit. pm for adresses.

gimme something good.

i think i am just gonna start posting here instead of the what r u listening today thread. if anybody wants something i'll get it 2 you somehow if i like you. if not you gotta gimme something in return that actually doesnt suck.

Anyone else use slsk? I think that'd be the perfect place for this sort of thing. I just took the initiative to make a Superfuture chat room, just right click on the rooms, and if you don't see it in the list then just type in Superfuture and it should bring you to the room I made. (Once in it you can right click to toggle Autojoin.)

This thread would be a good spot to compile usernames.

For those who don't know: http://www.slsknet.org/download.html

Portforward: http://portforward.com/

Portforwarding opens up the port that slsk uses so that the downloads go faster, and you can browse more people, the above site gives a step by step guide.

jmatsu- from listening to this first track I think you would like Comus- First Utterance. Not sure how obvious of a rec this is, but if you don't have it, let me know.

I used to use soulseek when I had a PC, but since I've purchased a Mac about 2 years ago I haven't come across a good OSX client.

The various programs I've tried all crash randomly and don't bring up as many results as they should, I'm still waiting on a suitable substitute because there are a lot of users on soulseek packing hard to find gems.

Anyone else use slsk? I think that'd be the perfect place for this sort of thing. I just took the initiative to make a Superfuture chat room, just right click on the rooms, and if you don't see it in the list then just type in Superfuture and it should bring you to the room I made. (Once in it you can right click to toggle Autojoin.)

This thread would be a good spot to compile usernames.

For those who don't know: http://www.slsknet.org/download.html

Portforward: http://portforward.com/

Portforwarding opens up the port that slsk uses so that the downloads go faster, and you can browse more people, the above site gives a step by step guide.

jmatsu- from listening to this first track I think you would like Comus- First Utterance. Not sure how obvious of a rec this is, but if you don't have it, let me know.

This is a good idea and I will be participating. Right now I'm at my girlfriends place on a mac, but when i get home I'll get onto that room on slsk and leave some stuff open to dl.

my advice is to get slsk working as it's a good medium for this sort of thing. its a really great prog and if you can get it to work than we could really get something good going here.

jeepster, the connection problem is a result of your firewall. Forwarding the port that slsk uses would completely solve that, I used to have that exact problem. Also notesee look around here for a good OSX client: http://forums.slsknet.org/ipb/index.php?showforum=18

I think it's a program worth fiddling around with and getting to work, as you said there are some fantastic users with amazing libraries.

Anyone use muxtape.com at all?

It lets you upload 12 songs at a time and anyone can stream them.

Not perfect for exchanging albums, but mixtapes and playlists are an art in themselves.

Here is one I threw together. I made a couple mixtapes last year which I am really proud of and I still feel creatively burnt out after those.... check it out if you want it has a couple good transitions I believe along with more mediocre ones.

http://jwwa.muxtape.com/

make your own too

http://muxtape.com/

i just came across this thread and figured i'd show this. i'm not interested in this album swap really (no offense, i really just don't have the time to dedicate to that) but this program Mojo may be of use to you guys:

http://deusty.com/software/mac.php

basically lets you connect to other users via the internnet, browse their library, and download whatever you'd like.

mpec,

actually "come to the sabbat" is my least fav song from them, but you got some shit that sounds like the other songs, pls send my way.

I listened through the others, and the first track is the only similar one. Comus is sort of psych folk, not really rock like Black Widow so the music is pretty different, but the vocals and lyrics reminded me of Comus. I'm gonna send it your way anyways as I think everyone should here it.

I listened through the others, and the first track is the only similar one. Comus is sort of psych folk, not really rock like Black Widow so the music is pretty different, but the vocals and lyrics reminded me of Comus. I'm gonna send it your way anyways as I think everyone should here it.

You mentioned comus so i thought i might actually be able to pass a few tidbits your way. you seem to like folk/prog/psych so...

Are you guys into any of the german stuff?

^^ nobody wants your Letters To Cleo CDs.

I don't even know who Letters To Cleo are. I assume you weren't talking to me.

I have a muxtape thing... but I'm horrible at making things flow well.

http://diamonds.muxtape.com

I don't think that's the idea behind this thread though. I think people just want free music without having to seed.

You mentioned comus so i thought i might actually be able to pass a few tidbits your way. you seem to like folk/prog/psych so...

Are you guys into any of the german stuff?

Definitely, send away, I don't really have much in that vein but am interested in it.