Fonts / Typography

Servo2000

I've been a big fan of good typography work for some time, from Pablo Ferro to Kevin Lyons to The Magic Kingdom, and I need some inspiration and a place to go for news / new artists.

Anyone have any favorite typographers / designers using good type faces? Or good typefaces themselves, even, although I'm personally a bigger fan of hand-lettering. More especially, any good typography blogs / sites? Drawn! has some decent stuff every now and then, but I just also happen to check that for the illustrators as well.

Random Links:

I'm a big fan of Darren Booth. Gorgeous hand-painted lettering.

I saw Stefan Marx around here somewhere and I've really liked a couple of pieces he's done, these two covers in particular:

stefan2cover.jpgstefan3cover.jpg

He doesn't do a lot of this sort of thing, but I certainly like it when he does.

Classic Kevin Hayes piece. (scroll right, obviously). He's still using this exact same style, so some pieces look similiar, but his Flickr (link to his "my work" set) has some of his pieces, in addition to some photos of some pretty interesting typography he finds in his daily travels. The latter photos are few and far between, but fairly interesting.

Chris Gardner's Blog. Hand-inked typography and other images from one of the designers at House 33.

I'm definetly a big appreciatior of typography. I wish my knowledge was deeper though.

I went to a screening of a film called "Helvetica" this summer, which was fantastic. Literally about the typeface Helvetica.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm looking for something similar to Helvetica..

Something I could embrace & use for the rest of my life.

None of that Arial bullshit, please.

Fuck serifs.

DIN and Univers on the more mechanical end.

Akzidenz Grotesk & News Gothic for a more human feel.

Gotham could also fit in there somewhere.

I generally agree that sans-serifs are nicer but dismissing serifs completely is kind of silly. Reading a book properly set with a nice serif like Sabon or Bembo is a joy. I wouldn't want to read a long book set in the typefaces named above (although I've seen Akzidenz-Grotesk/News Gothic set well for fairly long passages of text).

here's Gotham for you.

My Akkurat is broken down into individual fonts (Akkurat, Akkurat-Bold, Akkurat Bold-Italic) as opposed to picking the font and then the diff. versions. it's pretty annoying, is it just the file I got? I want Leicht, Normal, Fett, etc...not that it matters but the name is nicer.

for some reason all the font threads are in superblurber.

Lately, I like Akkurat alot as well the rest of the Lineto fonts. I have a shitload of House fonts (mostly strange display fonts) on my laptop but I never really use them.

discuss and request fonts here.

Do you find Akkurat draws you into this trap of wanting to use it for everything?

Lineto fonts are dope, Simple is a great monospaced typeface. If anyone has large chunks of the lineto library like brauer and gravur condensed that would be great, im willing to trade too.

Do you find Akkurat draws you into this trap of wanting to use it for everything?

Yes.

I found a forum that had poeple hosting Brauer Neue and Gravur and Typ1451 but either I downloaded them and they were for PC or they were hidden because I didn't have 10 posts.

here's Gotham for you.

My Akkurat is broken down into individual fonts (Akkurat, Akkurat-Bold, Akkurat Bold-Italic) as opposed to picking the font and then the diff. versions. it's pretty annoying, is it just the file I got? I want Leicht, Normal, Fett, etc...not that it matters but the name is nicer.

Yeah I have that same version, it's very annoying with stylesheets. I'm going to shell for it eventually

hey guys i'm actually working on a project this sem about fonts... my theme would be eletronic/beats/eletro-indie and what fonts would you all suggest? (i have actually decided to start off from futura) i'll have to make it into a album cover as well using typography. i've been watching Justice's DVNO video and stuff. any suggestion would be great thank you.

i've little more than a pedestrian grasp on typography, but mrs eaves has appealed to me since first seeing it in radiohead liner notes

thoughts on works from emigre?

There's definitely a few gems in their collection but I find the majority of their typefaces are very 90s in feel. A professor in my program is supposed to be releasing his typeface through emigre which I've only seen one speciman piece of and none online but it looks very promising.

Can we start a Gill Sans Ultra Bold argument on here?

Sure, I'll start: Gill sans (any version) is the typographic equivalent of a British accent. It's absolutely everywhere in the UK. Especially in caps with lots of leading space. I wonder maybe Gill sans is the default typeface on the UK localisation of OS X, instead of Helvetica in other countries. Eric Gill was a weirdo, I recently bought a biography, turns out he used to fuck his sister and his dogs. I dunno what to say about Ultra Bold with its i-dot rolling around... but the regular Gill sans italic lc "p" is supposed to look like a dog's penis... I actually read that somewhere...

Is that enough to start the argument?

current favourite fonts:

sausagetype-20080407-134405.png

Beton-20080407-134616.png

I'm excited about Akzidenz Next!

590210.jpg

"Akzidenz-Grotesk Next was conceived as a single family that uses the principal shape characteristics of the original Akzidenz-Grotesk and now appears consistent throughout all weights, from extralight to black."