Fonts / Typography

Servo2000

i want to become a font snob.

(0)

A font snob can differenciate Helvetica from Univers from Helvetica Neue from Akzidenz in one glimpse

DUM,

I'm in love w/ that.

Thanks.

Also, I'm thinking about doing an article on fonts/typefaces, the theory behind them, and the culture surronding them. If designers, students, etc. have opinions, let me know. I'd also be interested in getting a few words from notable players in the field.. what are some companies/people that'd be willing to talk? To be honest, I don't really know any names.

Does anyone have any favorite fonts that are in Adobe CS2? I need to do a brochure for my ad class and have no idea what fonts even to start with for the copy (and I = bad at fonts).

Thanks.

Does anyone have any favorite fonts that are in Adobe CS2? I need to do a brochure for my ad class and have no idea what fonts even to start with for the copy (and I = bad at fonts).

Thanks.

I wouldn't take diamonds advice unless you used just one of those typefaces and only one. They're all sans-serifs (well, Lubalin Graph technically isn't but it's just Avant Garde with slab-serifs.)

If you're going to use two typefaces, it's a generally good idea that they have contrast (eg. a sans-serif and a serif). Stick with a flush-left setting (justification is the easiest to fuck up on). Research the typefaces you're going to be using and what they were intended for. Typography is all about contrast.

Any of the typefaces uploaded in this thread or the Frutiger thread will serve you well though as many are general workhorses, intended for everything.

It amazes me how little people in my design courses know about typography. And this coming from someone who is just starting to dip his foot in.

This thread caused me to go on a bit of a spree, and snapped up some of the mentioned fonts. Some really nice additions to my pretty basic collection, but I wasn't able to find Akkurat anywhere. I can see Akzidenz quickly becoming my go-to, though.

Lubalin Graph

Avant Garde

Helvetica Neue

ALL YOU NEED.

I agree... If I had to choose three families it would be Lubalin Graph and H. Neue and... not sure.

I can see Akzidenz quickly becoming my go-to, though.

Akzidenz is very old and can look clumsy if you're not careful. I think the key to setting type is to really know and love the font you're using. I guess that's why the most iconic designers often stick to a few favourite fonts.

This is from a great article about Stanley Kubrick:

I notice something pinned to his letterbox. "POSTMAN," it reads. "Please put all mail in the white box under the colonnade across the courtyard to your right."

It is not a remarkable note except for one thing. The typeface Tony used to print it is exactly the same typeface Kubrick used for the posters and title sequences of Eyes Wide Shut and 2001. "It's Futura Extra Bold," explains Tony. "It was Stanley's favourite typeface. It's sans serif. He liked Helvetica and Univers, too. Clean and elegant."

"Is this the kind of thing you and Kubrick used to discuss?" I ask.

"God, yes," says Tony. "Sometimes late into the night. I was always trying to persuade him to turn away from them. But he was wedded to his sans serifs."

haha im not gonna issue a reply, im still out with GS....

that's why i wanted to see what others think of it - you've definitely given it some negative points though, esp that stuff bout the P hahaha.

Those Beton and Hamburge ones look quite nice

you've definitely given it some negative points though, esp that stuff bout the P hahaha.

seriously there's nothing wrong with it actually

Guest youkinorn

anyone here use windows that wouldn't mind hooking me up with some stuff?

also, I suppose I should ask if there are different formats for mac/pc. Are there? I know this is a stupid question, but it's been a minute since I have done any real typography-driven stuff.

anyone here use windows that wouldn't mind hooking me up with some stuff?

also, I suppose I should ask if there are different formats for mac/pc. Are there? I know this is a stupid question, but it's been a minute since I have done any real typography-driven stuff.

What are you looking for > opens dirty e-raincoat filled with fonts

Guest youkinorn
What are you looking for > opens dirty e-raincoat filled with fonts

Really just whatever you're interested in sharing, probably.

Akzidenz, Avant Garde, Helvetica remixes, whatever.

Maybe some stuff you dig lately with serifs.

I don't know, I feel like I'm hypebeasting+++hotfontz here, but I really just need some new stuff to work with and am more or less completely out of the loop.