Work/Study in Advertising

jl3969

Since Milspex's graphic design thread got bumped, I noticed there are a good amount of people that work/study within that field. I was wondering how many of you guys crossover to advertising from graphic design, and also how many of you guys are in the ad industry but not part of the 'creative'.

I'm a junior studying Advertising and go back and forth between wondering wtf am I doing here and getting really interested whenever I see an amazing ad.

Just want to hear some thoughts on the industry, jobs, experiences...

I'm actually looking to get in with a creative/ad agency right now. Just graduated over the winter with a marketing degree. Don't have any experience at all though, so I'm trying to get an internship somewhere. I'm hoping it's not too late since I already graduated. Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this?

I'm a junior and I've been trying to get an internship for a while. I've heard the ad industry referred to as 'pretty much high school' a couple times and it's about being the popular kid. That's what is kind of depressing about it, but I think it's mainly like that in any line of business. But the ad industry seems rather proud of the clique-ish behavior.

A friend from high school works at McKinney & she said the main thing is to have a portfolio that's halfway decent. I think she ended up going to a portfolio school after college called Creative Circus in Atlanta. You basically need to make mock ads & such. Oh, and be prepared to work 60-80 hour weeks your first few years.

However, check out Crispin, Porter + Bogusky to see how the world of advertising is totally changing and redefining what ads are.

I realized working in video production that I could dream up dozens of great ads, but when a specific client with a specific goal wanted an idea, I went blank. So I put aside my advertising hopes and went back to school in user-centered design research & planning.

How'd you get started in the business?

Schooling?

Most important attribute/skill?

Why is the ad industry so intent on reminding people what a 'creative' industry they are?

And why do they have a 'creative' department when obviously creativity needs to be applied in every aspect from the get go to produce great work?

My classes are 70% girls, which is my favorite part of advertising, but does that ratio translate to the workplace?

Thanks

How'd you get started in the business?

Schooling?

Most important attribute/skill?

Why is the ad industry so intent on reminding people what a 'creative' industry they are?

And why do they have a 'creative' department when obviously creativity needs to be applied in every aspect from the get go to produce great work?

My classes are 70% girls, which is my favorite part of advertising, but does that ratio translate to the workplace?

Thanks

university of texas, texas creative sequence :eek:

I interned at a couple places in austin first, then freelanced. Afterwards I got job offers in cali and have been living here ever since. I'm on my 2nd AD gig in l.a.

We have to constantly remind you how creative we are because if we didn't, you'd think you could do it yourself and not hire us :(

most women that are in advertising are..gasp, account execs. There are some good women copywriters, but I see few women art directors for whatever reason. I'm sure they're out there, and kick ass.

I think the most important part is to wear as many hats as possible. I'm an art director but I also do a lot of filmmaking, writing, etc.

I honestly have yet to see a women graphic designer/art dir., etc that I was really impressed with. The marketing dept. I work in...one woman...copywriter.

Since Milspex's graphic design thread got bumped, I noticed there are a good amount of people that work/study within that field. I was wondering how many of you guys crossover to advertising from graphic design, and also how many of you guys are in the ad industry but not part of the 'creative'.

I'm a junior studying Advertising and go back and forth between wondering wtf am I doing here and getting really interested whenever I see an amazing ad.

Just want to hear some thoughts on the industry, jobs, experiences...

I work for a digital marketing/ad agency as a project manager/account exec in case you have any questions about breaking into the digital side. Can't really speak to life at traditional agencies, though.

university of texas, texas creative sequence :eek:

I interned at a couple places in austin first, then freelanced. Afterwards I got job offers in cali and have been living here ever since. I'm on my 2nd AD gig in l.a.

We have to constantly remind you how creative we are because if we didn't, you'd think you could do it yourself and not hire us :(

most women that are in advertising are..gasp, account execs. There are some good women copywriters, but I see few women art directors for whatever reason. I'm sure they're out there, and kick ass.

I think the most important part is to wear as many hats as possible. I'm an art director but I also do a lot of filmmaking, writing, etc.

NICE!

I'm at UT Austin myself, applying to Media sequence in a couple days. Did you have Dobias for 345J?

I wasn't meaning to be confrontational in any way, just always wondered about the constant reminders about how creative the business is. I appreciate and understand the need for creativity, but the constant marketing bullshit just gets tiring. I just figure we don't need to be sold on how to sell to others. It just gets to be too much.

Anyways, where did you intern in Austin?

NICE!

I'm at UT Austin myself, applying to Media sequence in a couple days. Did you have Dobias for 345J?

I wasn't meaning to be confrontational in any way, just always wondered about the constant reminders about how creative the business is. I appreciate and understand the need for creativity, but the constant marketing bullshit just gets tiring. I just figure we don't need to be sold on how to sell to others. It just gets to be too much.

Anyways, where did you intern in Austin?

I can't tell you because it'd give away my identity lol. I can tell you that I avoided GSD&M though because I heard all the interns do there is fetch coffee and cut boards.

What's your position, if you don't mind me asking? Also, how are you liking it? I'm trying to get in right now, but not on the creative side.

I work in accounting. Kind of boring right now, but there's opportunity to move to different areas within the company.

This is my first job out of college. The agency I work for is really awesome. I don't have to wear a monkey suit or work in a cubicle, and everyone is laid back and friendly.

This job kind of just fell into my lap, so I really can't offer any insight on how to break into the advertising world (not that I work in the capacity that people seem to be striving for or anything).