Denim books

Marcus

If you've got the 1st, you don't really need the 2nd - but take care of it, it will never be reprinted in the old size! THe new one is pocket-sized, the last chapter is updated, but no real major changes, and there's a visual gloassary in the back, showing details like rivets and back pocket stitching (!). The main difference really is the price, which I think is £7.99 in the UK

• 1 month later...

I can't wait to get it, just curious if anyone knows when it's coming out in the states? amazon has a jan 30 '06 publishing date, is that correct?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845131118/104-9922519-3170310?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

knowing that paul t is the author of this book and seeing his posts on this forum just boosted superfuture's stock in my mind 10x . . . it'd fallen pretty low since ringring slowed down his postings in the last several months icon_smile.gif

Quote:

I can't wait to get it, just curious if anyone knows when it's coming out in the states? amazon has a jan 30 '06 publishing date, is that correct?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845131118/104-9922519-3170310?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

knowing that paul t is the author of this book and seeing his posts on this forum just boosted superfuture's stock in my mind 10x . . . it'd fallen pretty low since ringring slowed down his postings in the last several months icon_smile.gif

--- Original message by the black arm on Nov 20, 2005 08:03 PM

The Black Arm - it should already be published. Perhaps the Jan 30 is the date that Amazon.com gets a supply.

I agree with you, it's a priviledge to read his (PaulT's) posts on here.

Quote:

nice paul. gonna order it right now!

btw, japan doesnt have american shuttle looms.;)))

--- Original message by urban sprawl on Nov 21, 2005 10:56 AM

Japan has plenty of original 1930's/40's American shuttle looms, they were snapped up by Japanese enthusiasts in the 1980's when Cone Mills etc were short sighted enough to scrap them.

th_501xxrivet.jpg

Quote:
Quote:

Japan has plenty of original 1930's/40's American shuttle looms, they were snapped up by Japanese enthusiasts in the 1980's when Cone Mills etc were short sighted enough to scrap them.

--- Original message by johnmc on Nov 22, 2005 08:55 AM

I heard that this was a rumor and that Cone Mills actually just put away their looms. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this though.

SOME GIRLS ARE BIGGER THAN OTHERS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by johnmc on Nov 22, 2005 08:55 AM

I heard that this was a rumor and that Cone Mills actually just put away their looms. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this though.

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Nov 22, 2005 09:05 AM

I read a year or two before LVC came out that Levi's were in Japan trying to buy back looms!

th_501xxrivet.jpg

well there're lot of rumours.

since paul t evoked this curiosity i tried to get the info.

i was in a small denim mill in okayama called kiyama 2 weeks ago (which btw was the most graceful place on earth). the owner said that there're about 200 looms in japan. the shuttles are mostly from companies such as toyoda, enshu and sakamoto.

maybe looms were sold to japan from n.c. but i doubt that much was bought. logistically each are very heavy, different voltage, shipping price, etc...why wouldnt they use their own which they started making in the 60s?

so if you show me that they have more than 8 american looms and use it (not only put in a display) then i will believe you. sorry mate.

Edited by urban sprawl on Nov 22, 2005 at 02:58 PM

• 5 months later...

sorry, had to dig up this old thread.

went to barnes and noble in astor place to buy paul t's book. guess what? someone had stolen all 5 copies in the store. if it was someone on this forum, you should be ashamed of yourself! icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Edited by mizanation on May 6, 2006 at 06:20 PM

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I don't know whether this has been posted before but I was just wondering what are the books on denim you would recommend that every denim aficionado should read? Be it talking about the history, the evolution or the properties of denim. :) I just borrowed a book from my school library, "Jeans A Cultural History of an American Icon" by James Sullivan and it seems to be an interesting read... Anybody read that before?

i found this quite a good one. Mainly pictures with a good bit of blurb, but more than enough to get an overview.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denim-Visual-History-Worlds-Legendary/dp/1845131118/ref=sr_1_5/026-4862650-2878830?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181302336&sr=1-5

There is a very good book I got some years back called 'Cult' but it was deleted some time ago. I'll post up the ISBN number this weekend when I get the chance. May still be available 2nd hand somewhere.

This one's quite interesting too, but perhaps slightly more of a design showcase than a useful tool.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Pair-Levis-Jeans-Official/dp/0961746017/ref=sr_1_1/026-4862650-2878830?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181302521&sr=1-1

Martin.

The Denim Design Labs L.E. book is out, it's ok but most of the contents have shown up else where, i think you'd have to go some to beat Paul's book, there's also a little book by Tanya Lloyd Kyi called The Blue Jean Book thats quite a good read, the ISBN is 1-55037-916-X. The denim design book is covered with Cone Mills White Oak denim which is a bit novel but i'm not sure that it's worth the $100 price tag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been hearing of this "Vintage Denim" book for years. I've looked it up, and was never able to locate one for under $200. Someone's selling his copy here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Denim-David-Little-Levis-501-Red-Lines-Guide_W0QQitemZ230145726034QQihZ013QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem at only $10.50 (for now). Is it really worth buying, and up to what price? I've looked all around, and haven't even been able to preview what's inside...