Denim books

Marcus

I got the jacket book + 501 book reprint, and am thrilled with them. Though they were not cheap, I would say the price is fair considered there is quite possibly millions of dollars worth of denim in there that would be nearly impossible to see in such detail, short of traveling across the world to Japan. In that sense they are just as much an art book as it is reference guide/text book for vintage denim. I also think the fact that they both have full english captions/translations makes them totally worth it

18 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

So, for those of us who decided to purchase a copy of the new Levis denim jackets book, what are your thoughts?

And for those of you who have got hold of the reprint 501XX book, again l would love to know the same :D

I did get the jeans book - thanks for sticking your neck out a little and recommending it despite the price @Dr_Heech.

Its a lovely book - and it really is fantastic to have the collection of old jeans' pictures in a book as opposed to seeing them online and then them vanishing into the ether again...

I have an old Lightning mag of vintage jeans (also was pretty pricey actually)... and that I found brilliant for showing the details and the blues and shades of whites and wear - and I still look back to those. It was also looking at some old pictures of chore coats and their colours from threads on here - posted by Mr Broark and Mr Bartleby and others (thank you very much) that also persuaded me to order the book, as I find the look of some old denim so amazingly good - wabisabi eh..:o

Agree the info is brief but still nice to have - (and in English too..) I'd not opened it when it arrived (saved it for the weekend after busy workweek) so I'm still to look at it more closely - really looking forward to that:).

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Picked this up a few days ago and I highly recommend it. 3 chapters in. Obviously it’s focussed on the blue stuff rather than denim or jeans, and it’s fascinating. I’ve learnt about indigo in the ancient world (as the second most sought after dye, following purple shellfish) through its journey West on the Silk Road. Now covering the decline of woad as the East India shipping companies monopolised the trade routes. 

It’s been around for ages so you’re probably already aware of it, but thought worth sharing. 

Anyway, it’s great. Some pics:

5856035D-78EC-4362-A06B-45E42CC2FFDA.thumb.jpeg.f5521d07e09a6fe41e5e3ce362f4b8aa.jpeg15E0000C-7014-4688-A4EF-89C2265055EA.thumb.jpeg.08b497a818c230cb2824c4317ee57688.jpegA4DC6DDA-EEA8-4A96-AF61-F6C7FECDF8A6.thumb.jpeg.c9fa5635a890d576eafad2b22dbe484d.jpeg
E13A07AF-5116-4BF6-B25E-9AFF4F19D757.thumb.jpeg.65e214aa3b4005418d280e908ae8bc88.jpeg

By the way, does anyone know any examples of fiction books whose characters are denimheads? Definitely can't be courtroom dramas like Grisham's, where the characters are lawyers wearing sharp tailored suits.

I'm sure there was another denim books/magazines thread, one that had more pages/more contributions?

Well anyway here's my little lot, mostly Levis/vintage denim related but a couple of flight jacket books too ( l also have the John Chapman flight jacket CD). Feel free to ask away if there's anything you want to see more of - FYI the top one is The researchers guide to the 501XX (all in Japanese) and the third one down is 501XX - The evolution of the jean, which was a freebie when you purchased a pair of lvc back in 2009/2010.

Edit: I've added another pic - a top shot showing the front covers.

20230217_161720.jpg

20230217_162123.jpg

20230218_141401.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech
To add a pic

Good denim library there Charlie. I got that 501 - Evolution of the Jean free from The Three Threads in Shoreditch just before it closed down (and reopened as an Edwin shop), no Levi’s purchase required!

Is the Ed Cray book good, I’ve been mulling over buying it for a while?