Selvedge Denim virgin, help me out with my first pair

homi29

I'm looking for a nice pair of selvedge jeans, ive been browsing this board forever, and ive decided its time to give in and get a pair for myself.

The only thing is, ive never really had much experience with the jeans, but i know the more popular brands (nudie, APC , etc)

I'm looking to break myself in with something which isnt too expensive.

Anything between the 100-200 CND range, preferably under 150.

I heard edwin's prices are fair, but ive never tried their jeans. Also i prefer a looser fit, id like to try "dry denim", how do the prices compare to washes generally?

I'm in toronto, and i dont want to order online, so any toronto cats help me out with which spots carry the brands u suggest.

thanks guys . peace

you're not going to find that price range in the shops we have in toronto. your best bet is to get it stateside if you got a hook or ordered online. you could always wait until gap 1969 releases another selvage piece but that could be awhile.

"Def with the record that was mixed a long time ago"

http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=22326654

Guest Berget__

I have a pair of Edwin ed-47 reinbow selvage. The denim is really stiff at first and pretty uneven. They costed me 1400 SEK which is ~210 CND there is also non selvage version which is about 150 CND. The fit is regular, not too tight or too loose. i like it. Dry denim is (almost) always cheaper than washed denim e.g in sweden dry nudies (non-selvage) cost 135 CND (900 SEK) and washed cost up to 200.

good luck

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Sup Homi (lol..sorry, couldn't resist)

You could try looking around for a pair of the Nudie RR Dry Greycast. Yes, they're not selvedge but they are dry, and should be within your price-range and somewhat close...

Remember, selvedge isn't the be-all and end-all of denim.

Though, if you have the $$$, that's the way I'd roll.

i second the grey cast as a good option, but when u're buying selvage, just save some money and spend it on a levi's vintage, that's in my opinion the best there is. i've got a lvc blue blood, great cut, nice selvage, wear them a lot.

'Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing it.''

if you want a starter dry pair, pick up a $75 cdn levi shrink-to-fit. if you can go up to 230, try the earnest sewn filson [f-50].

otherwise, for dry selvage you might have to order online. the apc new standards are $160 us with shipping to canada includes. thats ~ $190 cdn, and then you'll still have to pay import duties. if you do order apcs, get your measurements with a tape measure, and then make sure someone at apc measures a pair for you, as there's way to much inconsistency with their sizing.

unfortunately at the <$200 cdn price range there isn't as much choice... just wait and save

I think over the rainbow has some LVC, any other toronto spots carry em?

Also , the nudie greycast sounds like a good starter jean. Anyone know where i can cop a pair in toronto, and at around what price.

Id be willing to go a little over $200,but definetly not into the 3 bills range

homi, use ebay for your selvedge needs. Toronto is not a nice place for cheap selvedge jeans, or any selvedge jeans for that matter. There are plenty of nice selvedge jeans on ebay that regularly go for under $200 canadian. Also when ordering off ebay you can avoid duties by having people mark packages as gifts.

I am not associated in any way with the auction below...

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6805638524&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

you could mail order Evil denim from Los Angeles. It is 95$ US before tax and shipping. If you don't want cinch back, just cut off the cinch and hem them (they are all 36"). If you care, they are selvedge, and it's japanese slubby denim. The indigo rubs off a lot on your hands which probably means it will wear easily if you want that.

email them at

[email protected]

I'll post pics soon if i can.

Sugarcane!!!!!!! 1947s

history preservation dot com

about $200 US (I don't know what that is in CDN)