DIOR 19cm World Tour

totally epic

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, WHERE ALL MY DIOR WORLD TOUR HOMIES AT.

Anyway, here some semi-overdue TG pics.

Pecan Pie, homemade by my brother, shit was legit.

DSC04960.jpg

Almond Macaroons(however you spell that shit, haha) made by my Aunt. Was good, if you like almonds.

DSC04966.jpg

Endives(This, I also do not know how to spell). Made by my mother. Smoked Salmon is always bomb.

DSC04981.jpg

Cheese Plate. Purchased from various markets, arranged by me.

DSC04992.jpg

TURKEY. Made by my mother. Looks good huh?

DSC05003.jpg

One of my friends is studying to be a culinary chef in Costa Rica, he makes food for special occasion. Unfortunately, there's a language barrier kinda so...all I got from this was that it's potatoes with cream sauce...was great though.

DSC05018.jpg

My mom makes sick lamb chops.

DSC05032.jpg

My brother made flan. Flan is always good. It's the firmer kind, I think it's Cuban style? or Spanish? I don't quite recall.

DSC05046.jpg

ENJOY.

MORE PICS TO COME.

FROM TAIWAN.

I'll post some more stuff from Taiwan in a bit, but first here are some photos of me holding an impromptu "bao zi" class.

I learned over summer and since them I've been asked multiple times to show people how to do it. It's actually not as hard as one would think.

So now, prepare yourselves for a culinary journey.

BUT, I did not wear the Diors for this...mostly because I did not want them to get all flour-y and nasty. Wore my old PBJs. But whatever. Enjoy.

First, you make the dough. Water, yeast, sugar, etc.

DSC05058.jpg

I dunno how many of you have worked with dough, but it's great.

DSC05064.jpg

It's almost done.

DSC05067.jpg

Normally, the more traditional method is to leave it out in the sun under a metal bowl or something conductive so that the heat of the sun will activate the yeast and help it rise. But it was like 40-50 degrees in LA...so an oven would have to suffice.

DSC05069.jpg

Here's the stuffing. We had a meat and vegetables one, as well as an entirely vegetarian one.

DSC05074.jpg

Here is the dough after it's risen.

DSC05075.jpg

Afterwards you rip/cut them into tiny bits and roll them out into bao zi skins.

DSC05098.jpg

And then! Tada! A bao zi, wrapped by yours truly.

DSC05096.jpg

I also used the dough to make cong you da bing. Literally translated as large onion bread.

DSC05125.jpg

Here is a pic of all the bao zi waiting to be steamed, unfortunately my little brother(the photographer) was too lazy to take pictures as I was steaming them so...use some imagination. Most of them were wrapped by first time bao zi makers, excuse the ugliness.

DSC05119.jpg

Enjoy.

I'll post more pics later, but here are two quick uploads from Taiwan.

This is from the Northern part of Taiwan, I forgot where exactly...but it's the area that is famous for Taro.

DSC05274.jpg

Also, I'm not sure how often it happens but every couple of years. I went to an old site in Shizuoka, Japan. But this time the International Flora Expo is being held in Taipei. It's actually pretty neat, if you like flowers and nature. It's nice to get away from all the industrial shit we deal with everyday.

DSC05327.jpg

I'll post more pics once I have more time, but for now that's it.

This tour is back from the dead! Looks like you're eating well over there, food pictures always have me coming back for more...

Hahaha, yeah sorry guys I was having some academic difficulties that I had to deal with this quarter...so I didn't get a chance to really do anything worth posting...

But I'm making up lost time on this winter vacation, haha.

So...calling midnight...what do I do with these jeans once it hits the 31st?

Should I just keep updating/getting them around the world or...? I'd assume you'd want them back sometime, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright my bad for lagging. But I'll post pics chronologically and not all at once, yknow just to keep it interesting.

In the mean time. Anybody want to be in on the next round? Until then I can just keep wearing them here in sunny San Diego. (UC peeps hit me up)

Went to jiu fen. Which translates to 9 something...but anyway, it's a scenic area north of Taipei.

They still do a lot of shit old school up there, which I'm always a fan of.

She's making a calligraphy brush tip. It was pretty cool she was slicing and chopping it with a knife over and over again to achieve that nice smooth evenness on the hairs. Anyone who has written with a calligraphy brush will know what I mean.

DSC05233.jpg

My uncle always tells me if I eat this shit I'll get worms in my stomach. But cmon, what's the fun in life if you aren't risking your health.

DSC05254.jpg

Takoyaki. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically like a fried octopus ball? Except, unlike normal fish/meat/other type of balls(hahahahahahaha...) they are made up of a small piece of octopus, wrapped in batter and then fried/cooked on these plates with spheres in them. They are usually quite good, but they are better in Japan. As they are Japanese food.

DSC05257.jpg

So I stopped by a "famous" chou dou fu(smelly tofu) place with my mom and bro. It was pretty good. Most places in Taiwan will front that they are the most "famous" place. But really, every single food stand pretty much has a picture frame of them on TV or of them in the newspaper. The only way to really know is to walk around a bit and decide for yourself. Or, as sometimes you must, eat them all and then decide for yourself.

I'm not sure how to describe this...but it's basically like the sticky rice you can get at dimsum wrapped in bamboo? Except it's cooked in an actual bamboo shaft cup thing.

DSC05264.jpg

Here is my favorite form of smelly tofu, mala chou dou fu. Which is loosely translated as spicy smelly tofu. But the spice is a more particular one...it's I dunno...preference. I prefer mala spice over other types of spice.

DSC05265.jpg

This guy carves names and other things onto tiny rocks for people. You aren't actually allowed to take pictures. But I talked to him for a bit and he explained to me that the reason for this is not because he is an unfriendly old man, but because the neighbor kids would keep bothering him when they saw people taking pictures because they thought some crazy shit was happening and it would be hard for him to work. He let me take a picture while he carved me a stone though. It only cost like 8$ to get it cut and then strung with a necklace or wristband loop. The rocks are also supposed to contain gold in them, but he told me it's not enough gold to be worth anything, it just shows that it's from jiu fen.

DSC05279.jpg

Alright I think that's enough pics for this post. I'll add more tonight, as for now I'm off to class.

Takoyaki. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically like a fried octopus ball? Except, unlike normal fish/meat/other type of balls(hahahahahahaha...) they are made up of a small piece of octopus, wrapped in batter and then fried/cooked on these plates with spheres in them. They are usually quite good, but they are better in Japan. As they are Japanese food.

DSC05257.jpg

i've seen Takoyaki on the travel channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. i believe the entire episode was devoted to Zimmern's visit to Osaka. one of those things that looks good, but seems like it may be a bit of a strange paring -- octopus and soft, wet batter.

i've seen Takoyaki on the travel channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. i believe the entire episode was devoted to Zimmern's visit to Osaka. one of those things that looks good, but seems like it may be a bit of a strange paring -- octopus and soft, wet batter.

Haha, I think that's why people like it. The chewy and firmness of the octopus vs the warm dough. It's similar to those large stir fried pancake noodles they serve in Japan. I eat them every time I visit my pops but I can never remember their name...but yeah maybe if the tour continues long enough I can bring them through the land of the rising sun once

Anyway, here are some pics of the actual jeans.

DSC05763.jpg

DSC05765.jpg

I don't remember posting this...but if I did then whatever, enjoy it for a second time. Somewhere along the line someone actually fixed the broken belt loop with some blue denim. Thanks. Seriously. I was afraid I was going to have to fix it. :o

DSC05767.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

DSC05771.jpg

They would appear not to have faded very much from these pictures. But that's because they didn't fade with much contrast, it's like a fade all over. It's kind of nice. I've been told they look like Gap jeans. I've also been told they look like the nicest jeans they've seen. :rolleyes:

Also, food.

Kiki's. It's a Szchequan place. Which is basically like really spicy Chinese food.

Don Puo Rou. Which is like fat pork thigh braised slowly. It's actually very good, but pretty fatty. The Taiwanese believe that eating the fat on this meat is good for you because the collagen helps your skin. It's nice to see girls eat this and enjoy themselves instead of being so self conscience. EAT FFS>

DSC05737.jpg

I enjoy to eat a well rounded meal with veggies. Plus, Asian vegetables are bomb, and they cook them right, in my opinion.:o Sorry, I'm not really one for blanched broccoli. :confused:

DSC05741.jpg

This stuff is great, but I can't remember the exact name of it...but it's like that stir fry that you can get at a lot of chinese places. It has the tiny slices of meat with bean curd and spice? But this one was a lot spicier, and the meat was prefried instead of stirfried. It was spicy as hell.

DSC05743.jpg

Hahahaha, anyone who gets a chance, drive out to the nearest 99 and get a couple bottles of this. It's really smooth. And matches up with most Asian food great, but of course the best with Taiwanese food. Nah not really, I prefer it with sczhequan food actually, haha.

DSC05748.jpg

Ma po dou fu nawmsayin? But really, I'm wondering how many people following the tour need me to explain what these pictures are in more depth. But more importantly...how many people even look at this thread...lol

DSC05750.jpg

Dan dan mian. This is going to sound weird, but it's basically noodles with sesame paste and some soy sauce, and the rest is up to the restaurant to make their own unique "dan dan mian wei dao"(sesamepastenoodleflavor).

DSC05752.jpg

Uhhh I'm not great at translating Asian vegetables into English...but I believe this vegetable is chives. This was one of their most famous dishes. Chives with little spicy bits of meat. Great with rice.

DSC05755.jpg

And this was the last dish that we ordered, and one of my favorites. Pigs feet. Usually braised for a long time in low heat to make the tendons and meat very soft. A lot of my friends, of all cultures, think it's gross to eat pigs feet and won't do it. But seriously, don't be a bitch just try it it's delicious and you will not regret it.

DSC05758.jpg

And lastly, if anyone feels like I post up too many pictures of food just tell me, and I'll try to include other stuff too. I just love food.

I'll upload pictures of the actual place in a bit.

Food from the food court right off the MaoKong gondola. Which is pretty great. It only cost like 1.67$ to go up the whole way, was like a 15 minute ride. At palm springs it was like 30-50$ I think.

Anyway, food.

Mala chou dou fu. Spicy smelly tofu.

DSC07003.jpg

I am not going to lie I cannot remember what this was, but I didn't get any of it. I think it's winter melon jelly.

DSC07004.jpg

Two kinds of chou dou fu side by side. I really like stinky tofu. Fried, with pickled vegetables. And ma la which is like in spicy soup base with duck blood(optional, but I love that shit).

DSC07006.jpg

Here from left to right is...

You fan. Oily rice. Like that stuff you can get at dim sum. Was made with special tea oil instead of lard.

Rou...gen I think. It's like meat soup/broth.

Last one is lu rou fan. Which is like Taiwanese braised beef, or beef pieces, over rice. It's bomb.

DSC07007.jpg

CLOSEUPS.

DSC07010.jpg

DSC07009.jpg

DSC07008.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Man guys I really apologize, I've been running into problems left and right...school is hassling me, my housing situation is hassling me...and no one really responded to keeping the tour going.

Unfortunately I really need to focus on my studies, so I'm just going to wear the jeans and take pictures, I apologize if this seems selfish but I've gotten no responses and I'll rock em and keep the tour going.

Also, I have no car anymore so I mean things are not going to well for me...

But I'll update as often as possible and if no one objects I'll just keep wearing them and trying to get them to fade.

I apologize for being MIA for so long, I've just been having a very bad 2011 so far...

If anyone has objections I'm happy to listen to them.

And Midnight doesn't really respond to my messages so I guess I'll just keep wearing them and running the tour.

Well, I go to school in the states. But I visit Taipei whenever I can, even though I wasn't born there it's my home yknow. I love Taiwan.

But anyway, I maybe working in Taipei this summer, we could meet up if you are still there.

When I did attend school there I attended a special intense mandarin program at Shi Da, or National Taiwan Normal University.

Where do you go?

I used to love going clubbing in Taipei, but I'm sort of over that now. Prefer to sip on some bubbly and chat some cuties up. How's the country treatin' ya?