Whisky love

teome

SMOKEHEAD_Islay_Single_Malt_Ian_Macleod_6636.jpg

Smokehead Islay: if you like your Ardbeg or Laphroaig you should try this. This one takes smoke and peaty to the limits.

Good stuff but definitely not for every day (or when the missus is in the same room, she hates the smell).

Official notes (no joke):

Body:

Like a cannonball - hits the palate at once with cocoa, peat and some honey sweetness then explodes with peppery spice and more earthy peat. Spreads to all the areas of your mouth with more peat and light sweetness.

Finish:

Even more peat, spice, mandarin - then dries up. When you think it's all over the peat comes back to hit you again.

Impresssion:

A rollercoaster of peat and spice with some delicate sweetness.

^ agree, I want some subtle finesse in my drink, not a tincture. picked up a bottle of Laphroaig QC from the supermarket tonight, might not last a week but it will be good. I have been drinking it at bars but had resisted the temptation to have a bottle of it at home, until I really felt I could not hold out any longer.

apparently the word on its launch was that it was more or less 7 yo ardbeg, but of course it could come from any of the islay distilleries at any one time. it's sort of like two buck chuck or yellow tail at a higher price point. which is fine i guess if that's what you're into - peat monster etc.

btw my local liquor store has lagavulin 12 for $2 more than 16 - i bet they sell twice as many 16s though.

Last thing I heard was that it's done either by Caol Ila or Lagavulin. Makes sense, they both belong to United Distillers and get the same malt from Port Ellen.

I never really understood all that mystery stuff. Word is that a lot of this is due to many of the "special editions" simply being younger versions of well known names that you normally can not buy (and at a lower price point). Might especially be true for Islays since with all that brine/seaweed/peat I've never been able to tell the difference between young and old versions.

I had a deeeelicious glass of the Baby last night. But at 20 bucks it's not happening again. Might have to grab a bottle though.

You paid $20 for a glass? I hope it was a 3oz pour b/c that shit sells for $40 a bottle.

Hudson need to step it up and break out a supersize 750ml bottle and charge like 75 or $80 for it. I'd cop with the quickness, b/c I generally run through a bottle of baby bourbon in about 2 hours if a few of my buddies are over

negro please. you paid $20 for a glass? I hope it was a 3oz pour b/c that shit sells for $40 a bottle.

Hudson need to step it up and break out a supersize 750ml bottle and charge like 75 or $80 for it. I'd cop with the quickness, b/c I generally run through a bottle of baby bourbon in about 2 hours if a few of my buddies are over

$40 a bottle is cheap, i haven't found it for less than $52 in SF.

negro please. you paid $20 for a glass? I hope it was a 3oz pour b/c that shit sells for $40 a bottle.

well... I was having dinner at a restaurant and they happened to have it, what would you do, haggle?

$40 a bottle is cheap, i haven't found it for less than $52 in SF.

though I am generally against ordering booze via the interwebz, this might be worth it.

I had my first taste of scotch the other day; it was Macallan 12 year single malt scotch, drank it straight. Not sure how it stacks up to others but I plan to try much more, the whole experience was really enjoyable and I loved the flavor.

I'm about to browse this thread but I don't have tons of money to drop on this stuff so It'd be cool to get some recommendations as to what is overpriced garbage, what is regular garbage and what is great for the price.

I had my first taste of scotch the other day; it was Macallan 12 year single malt scotch, drank it straight. Not sure how it stacks up to others but I plan to try much more, the whole experience was really enjoyable and I loved the flavor.

I'm about to browse this thread but I don't have tons of money to drop on this stuff so It'd be cool to get some recommendations as to what is overpriced garbage, what is regular garbage and what is great for the price.

You could try some Islay malts. People tend to like them the most in the "beginning". Caol ila 12yr for example. It's cheap, good and the most stylish liquor bottle I've ever seen. :)

I have no idea about pricing in the US but best bang for the buck is Bushmills Black Bush. Technically this is from Northern Ireland but still qulaifies as almost scotch for me. If it's real scotch you want then try (gasp) Johnny Walker Black Label. Not a single malt but a blend of whiskys from several high quality distilleries. Essentially it's Caol Isla blended with a lt of smoother Highland type whiskies.

got surprised with a bottle of blue label for my 21st. saving it only for the best and the worst of days. had a glass though of course, very pleased. so smooth and warm and mellow, i dont think i can say ive ever tasted such a liquor before that went down as easy as if it were milk.. very nice

got surprised with a bottle of blue label for my 21st. saving it only for the best and the worst of days. had a glass though of course, very pleased. so smooth and warm and mellow, i dont think i can say ive ever tasted such a liquor before that went down as easy as if it were milk.. very nice

Tom Park from Leather Sole sent us a bottle of Blue Label for the SELA opening, we ended up drinking the entire thing out of coffee mugs with Doritos after the press party.

Goes great with the cheeseburger flavored Doritos.

Guest White Man's Burden

I feel like Johnny Walker Blue is the Diesel Denim of whiskey. There's exponentially better stuff out there for equal/less money but folks like to floss sometimes you know?

Guest White Man's Burden
Bought some Bowmore 12 as per Dismal's reccomendation and my friend got some Balvenie 15. Can't wait to try them tonight.

Balvenie 15 off the hook

• 1 month later...

Spent last Friday evening going through a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 with the father-in-law. Very smooth. Has anyone had a chance to try their Triple-Wood variety? Looks promising.

• 1 month later...

51cF8h3%2BRxL._SS500_.jpg

Got that and some whisk(e)y stones for the holidays. Like my liver needed to hate me more, I'm already looking through the book, planning how best to taste everything in it...

They are still chilling in the freezer. I like the idea of them - you can add however much or little water as you choose, but you still get the whiskey slightly cooled, which is nice. But I also enjoy my bourbon on the rocks sometimes too. I think it will prove to be much more useful for scotch than bourbon, but maybe I'll be surprised and really enjoy the control they offer over the taste of different whiskeys.

i know almost nothing about whisky's.. Meiji in Eugene has about 150 different varieties though so i might go on a tasting spree.

bought a fifth of johnnie walker red for the drunking this weekend..