Whisky love

teome

I remember I stole a bottle of Laphroaig from my dad's liquor cabinet, me and my buddy tried drinking that stuff, it was painful, we were drinking it on the rocks, I had to wait for the ice to almost completely melt just to swallow it. Definitely an acquired taste.

Since then, I haven't found a scotch I haven't liked. These days I mostly drink Jameson. It's pretty cheap enough, and tastes delicious.

I wish more places around me would carry nice rye. I've been sticking to Buffalo Trace and Bulleit bourbon with the occasional use of Jim Beam rye which has really impressed me for the dirt cheap price I can get it at.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the best American whiskey i've ever tasted.

The Old Potrero Hotaling's Whiskey.

Seriously, this is something my next level whiskey.

I've never tasted such a thing.

More info: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/oldpotrero_hotaling.htm

I've been drinking and enjoying some pretty standard bourbons (mostly makers mark, and knob creek as they are convenient and inexpensive to find) for the last little bit, and am looking to step up to the next level as far as bourbon goes. Anyone have some good suggestions for a step up that won't be a whole lot more money?

i have had a long appreciation for single malt scotch. i prefer the islay malts for the seaside smoke and peat. laphroaig does being the most obvious tasting something like smoked kelp, ardbeg and talisker both being somewhat smoother. highland park is another that i enjoyed having that salty sea air.

i am suprised to see people talking about having single malts either neat or on the rocks, even at 40% alcohol by volume the ethanol taste would overwhelm some of the more subtle flavours [may as well add some vodka], and the cooling properties of ice mask most of the aromatic qualities [why not have a good wine with ice]. just a splash of water seems to bring out the best in a whisky, allowing one to enjoy everything that it has to offer.

never on rocks, that's obvious. drinking straight it can be a bit bracing at first but i've found with any decent scotch whiskey, one's palate will open up after a few sips, def by second glass. i've known several people to make a real point of telling me that the only "real" way to do it is adding water, however most of them were lightweight ponces to be honest.

i talked about this with a guy i know from edinburgh who belonged to a whiskey tasting club - his preference is to drink it straight unless it really really needs it, which seemed pretty reasonable.

I was lucky enough to get this for Christmas from my Brother-In-Law to be: George T. Stagg, released just once a year.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

It's barrel proof, in this case, 141.8 proof. Despite being so alcoholic, it's got a nice vanilla Bourbon taste. Mind you, it has a real burn to it. Definitely wouldn't want to get too far into a bottle of it at any one time, but it IS tasty.

• 2 months later...
i have had a long appreciation for single malt scotch. i prefer the islay malts for the seaside smoke and peat. laphroaig does being the most obvious tasting something like smoked kelp, ardbeg and talisker both being somewhat smoother. highland park is another that i enjoyed having that salty sea air.

i am suprised to see people talking about having single malts either neat or on the rocks, even at 40% alcohol by volume the ethanol taste would overwhelm some of the more subtle flavours [may as well add some vodka], and the cooling properties of ice mask most of the aromatic qualities [why not have a good wine with ice]. just a splash of water seems to bring out the best in a whisky, allowing one to enjoy everything that it has to offer.

I agree with a splash. There is a very noticeable change in the flavor profile when you add a dash of water. it really does open it up quite a bit. I've been kind of intrigued by some of the non-traditional notes I've found in some single malts recently. Yamazaki has a kind of woody/slightly bitter note that is pretty different. Achentoshan (12 year I think) also has a sort of off-sweet note that is really nice. Slightly anise-flavored. I'm also a fan of the briney Islay malts. Something to keep your palate interested.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a nice bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel for my birthday. Just poured a glass, neat. Supremely sippable. Lots of nice maple syrup and apricot in the aroma, plus the usual volatile alcohol notes. Great stuff. Very happy to have it in my repertoire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I went to Tuthiltown Spirits a few weeks back. It's a small batch distillery that makes the Hudson line of whiskeys. If you live in the NYC area, I highly recommend the 1hr trip upstate to check it out. Their Baby Bourbon is my go-to and a really solid German restaurant (Brauhaus?) is just nearby.

A regular customer that I make coffee for every morning just gave me an extraordinarily thoughtful and generous gift of a bottle of the Hudson Manhattan Rye, and I think I may get to crack that bottle open later tonight. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

A regular customer that I make coffee for every morning just gave me an extraordinarily thoughtful and generous gift of a bottle of the Hudson Manhattan Rye, and I think I may get to crack that bottle open later tonight. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

The Rye is not all that great. I much prefer the standard Michter's Rye and it's about 1/2 the price of Hudson's. The real winner is that Baby Bourbon - I haven't found a bourbon that I like nearly as much. Very consistent too.

Drink it verrrrrrrrry slowly

wishful thinking man, even if you don't let a single soul know you have a nice bottle of whiskey, you can still kill a fifth in two sittings, while trying to go easy on the bottle. :o

2 bills buys a lot though, I bought my dad a six-bottle tour that I put together from Park Ave's list and it was less than $400.

If you had to choose one bottle, a good Bowmore would be pretty satisfying. I don't think you can get 25 at two bills, but you can definitely get 18, and bog standard 12 year is still some great whiskey. Shame though, because 25 is beautiful - full of sherry/bourbon and it's extremely drinkable - my lady even liked it neat.