Whisky love

teome

Tried this the other night and was pleasantly surprised!

pretty affordable and very smooth.

singleton.jpg

The U.S. bottling of Tomatin is a great value as well. What they've done is speed up the packaging in lieu of designing laid-paper labels and so on. We can only get the 12-year however. I probably lamented about it already :o

ok, i'm probably going whisky shopping with my dad tomorrow. any suggestions on a nice scotch? no ballantines, glenmorangie, or macallan.. but i'm sure you guys wouldn't suggest those anyways.

and my dad likes single malts.

i'd probably just take advantage of the situation and learn from my old man. old fashioned, i know

While back, went to my bar and among the racks of alcohol I saw few bottles of Laphroaig. He was nice enough to let me try the different kinds he had. I plan on going back and trying the others he had in his place.

Sorry grainy picture, taken from cellphone.

laphroag.jpg

Which of the Laphroaigs was your favorite?

I liked the 10year,

Quarter Cask was good too but only had a small sample.

Yesterday went to the same bar and had Four Roses and Scapa.

Both of them pretty good with its own characteristics.

Saw Jack Daniels wearing a black leather jacket, calling my name out. Was tempted to have that too but left for another day, my reason to come back to the same bar.

I liked the 10year,

Quarter Cask was good too but only had a small sample.

Yesterday went to the same bar and had Four Roses and Scapa.

Both of them pretty good with its own characteristics.

Saw Jack Daniels wearing a black leather jacket, calling my name out. Was tempted to have that too but left for another day, my reason to come back to the same bar.

I like Scapa, just took back a little tonight.

I liked the 12-year Scapa -- alot. It was almost identical to the really young Glenmorangie, but the finish was different. I don't know how to describe it...more minerally or silty maybe?

The 14 is completely different. I don't care for it. I don't know why they changed the bottling.

israel is cursed with nothing but vodka, the only scotch i can find is shitty blended crap that tastes like diesel fuel...but for my money back home you can't beat McClellan's 8-year. a single malt for $20...not the most complex but still rich and delicious

• 2 weeks later...

got pretty damn drunk on ballantines on friday. nasty stuff. much prefer chivas for a blended scotch.

where is a good starting point for single malt scotches? something not too complicated, that a novice drinker with unrefined taste-buds such as myself can get into?

as far as bourbons are concerned - really enjoy bookers (cask-strength) watered down a little. also from memory the jim beam small batch was quite good.

and maker's mark is a fail-safe. not brilliant, but smooth, easy to drink and tasty.

I'm a total scotch noob but I've had it at bars before and liked it so I decided to go the the liquor store today. After talking to the guy there I came out with this for 32 dollars.

Anyone have any experience with this? Like I said I'm a total noob but it seems pretty good, especially for $32.

ABLOB.12YO.jpg

• 1 month later...

bumping this thread for the holidays...

what's a good starting whiskey for a total noob? i think i need to get my palate used to it first...

after paging through the thread everything seems really good, but i doubt i'd be able to discern the differences right now. i've only really had JD shots back in my college days and from what i remember it was pretty rough on the way down... cheers

what's a good starting whiskey for a total noob? i think i need to get my palate used to it first...

after paging through the thread everything seems really good, but i doubt i'd be able to discern the differences right now. i've only really had JD shots back in my college days and from what i remember it was pretty rough on the way down... cheers

I would start with the gentler scotches. While I love to recommend Lagavulin, and Laphroaig, they'll be too rough.

I would suggest that you start with scotches I don't drink any more. Some of the simpler, sweeter, less peaty scotches are much nicer to begin with. Try Balvenie Doublewood or Glenmorangie portwood. Tomultin might also be nice, as it is a little more interesting, but still very smooth and sweet.

• 2 months later...

For a Rye, I find Templelton Rye to be very smooth on the way down. If you are talking bourbon, I'd pick Buffalo Trace. If you want something easy to find, go get yourself some Makers Mark.

If you can taste a difference between Rye and Bourbon, your palate is working just fine for now.

My 2 cents.

-Jake