Made in USA jeans

echostar

I think the sale of products made by prisoners is pretty fucked up. I can understand having them manufacture goods necessary to keep a prison going but using them as unpaid labor when the prison industrial complex is one of the most profitable and growing sectors in the US is disgusting.

Umm as I understand it the "prison industrial complex" is most definitely not profitable..... but feel free to prove me otherwise with a source.

As I understand it both RRL and Rag & Bone are made at Cone Mills in Greensboro, NC. Wouldn't it stand to reason that both RRL and Rag & Bone are of almost near identical quality? I mean I really doubht they have different looms (No photographs allowed of them, IIRC) and such, but I could be wrong. (I can't say this for a fact, as I've only seen RRL and not Rag & Bone, so please correct me if I'm wrong someone.)
engineered garments jeans are also cone. check them out this season, they have some interesting denims, including a very nice broken twill model in indigo and black.

If you assume that all three brands of jeans are made in the same factory, the end product may be of different quality. The denim may be by the same manufacturer in all 3 cases above, but they may differ in:

- weights (i.e. 8oz vs. 12oz)

- threads (I assume Cone Mills gives them more than one option on threads)

- and stitching techniques (also an assumed option).

So the end products quality will most likely differ, if you define quality in the raw materials and techniques used.

They may also just source the denim from Cone Mills and sew it at their respective different sewing facilities (EG sews most of their stuff in New York), thus, differing in quality.

cone only supplies denim, and the manufacturing is dependent on the various brands.

also, to imagine that each mill only produces a single grade of fabric is to oversimplify. cone mills as with all other large mills has an entire spectrum of product offerings for a variety of markets. in the same way, japanese mill kaihara has at various points supplied denim to uniqlo, japan LVC, edwin lee repros and studio d'artisan, which are quite diverse brands.

maybe not different looms [i'm not sure about this], but apart from just accounting for the factor of the looms, you might considerthe quality of the yarns they use, whether or not they are ring-spun, how slubby the yarns are, the type of dyeing process on the yarn, whether or not they are overdyed, final denim weight [as timpoblete mentioned], tension, etc...

All of our jeans are made in the States (Venice Beach actually, right around the corner from the store....)

AND, Everything else we sell in the store is USA made and from an American company that pre-dates WWII........