Philadelphia, PA

jiayi

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm going to Philly on Aug 7 for a bachelor party. My friends are still looking for suggestions about bars/clubs. Pretty much looking for corny, big places full of sluts.

Also are there any after hours places? I've been to some few years ago, but can't remember any names.

Thanks

I'm going to Philly on Aug 7 for a bachelor party. My friends are still looking for suggestions about bars/clubs. Pretty much looking for corny, big places full of sluts.

Also are there any after hours places? I've been to some few years ago, but can't remember any names.

Thanks

Depending on exactly what you're looking for there is a mass of corny places around 2nd and 3rd between Chestnut and Market, that place on any given Friday or Saturday night is just CWG central. Examples would be Plough and the Stars and Cuba Libre.

If you want something a bit clubbier you can hit up a few clubs around Rittenhouse Park but I don't really know much about those besides G-Lounge which sometimes has Philly sports players hanging out in it.

Other than that all I can think of is the cluster of bars around 2nd and Spring Garden, but you are going to run in to a lot of Jersey douchebags and college students there.

My GF has a lot of CWG friends, so I'm a bit of a Philadelphia CWG tour guide.

Thanks

olde city is cwg central.

bleu martini, mad river, plough and the stars, lucky's top hat, etc.

if you want a nightclub atmosphere, you'll want to head on over to center city/rittenhouse area. g lounge, denim, and vango skybar.

Thanks

Damn MIke hit me up if you're in Philly

• 2 weeks later...
lots of places, depends what you want live near. any place specific?

I think Center City? Basically, we are considering places near U Penn. I am not sure how far this area is from the school though. If you know any other areas that might be affordable and safe please let me know. I heard rent is cheap in most areas of Philly, but do you think Center City might be more expensive than others?

I think Center City? Basically, we are considering places near U Penn. I am not sure how far this area is from the school though. If you know any other areas that might be affordable and safe please let me know. I heard rent is cheap in most areas of Philly, but do you think Center City might be more expensive than others?

Not sure I'd recommend Penn unless you are going there and know how West Philly works (gets pretty shady once you get into the high 40s).

Some of the best places to live would be Olde City/Society Hill/Queen Village which are all east towards the Delaware. The issue is that you will get a lot of places advertising to be in a nice neighborhood, but actually be a few blocks away where you start seeing a bit of the not-so-nice areas spilling over.

Some other good neighborhoods: Art Museum, Rittenhouse, Graduate Hospital, Midtown Village (aka the Gayborhood)

Your best bet is to ask someone who lives in Philly (talking IN philly, not in the suburbs) about specific blocks and neighborhoods. Some of the safest areas in Philly are only 3 to 5 blocks away from some not so great areas.

if you want something right by penn, check out domus and the left bank. they're large apartment complexes. both are really nice, the left bank costs about $2100/mo for a one BR, domus a little more.

if you want to live in center city, something around rittenhouse square would be safe and a great location, but probably more expensive. it's a 15 minute walk over to penn. i don't know what the rents are like.

going even farther from penn, the gayborhood (13th street) is nice, good restaurants, safe, should be cheaper. these probably won't be large complexes with gyms and pools, but more like brownstones. not sure about the rent here either.

art museum, northern liberties are both nice, but i think they are a bit far from penn.

Why would you not live in West Philly if you're going to UPenn?

The area's becoming more gentrified every day, and you'll see more security (every university has its own police force = 3 private armies) around 40th and Walnut than you will in most places Center City. There are lots of cool bars (Local 44) and restaurants (Distrito) and generally nice things to do (Clark Park farmers market, Best Fest).

Rent will be a lot less than center city and you'll prolly find it more convenient.

Disadvantages? I agree that 49th and Hazel gets sketchy, but you don't need to go that far west, 30th-42nd are fine. Also the metro out here is sparse, but the trams run frequently and at pretty much all hours, as do the buses.

Unless you're balling, most young 20somethings who say they live in the city actually live in Nolibs (yuppie scene), South Philly (punk scene) or Fairmount (no scene).

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I'm heading in Sat and staying in Independent Hotel on Locust St. Do you have any recommendations for a late night bar for about 10 guys? It's a bachelor party so I'm expecting it to get sloppy. We're going to Delilah's around 9-10pm and want to hit up a bar after.

We're also eating dinner at Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant (the guy getting married is very into beer). I've been to Monk's but is there any other beer place near the hotel that's worth checking out? Is there a good scotch/whiskey bar anywhere?

(one of the things some guys want to do it bowling at Lucky Strikes but I want to find something else to do. I can't imagine bowling for a bachelor party)

Thanks again, and if anyone want's to meet up let me know.

All my friends had to fight off fat girls who were trying to get daggered.

ex:

rr8few.jpg

Bwahaha hey I know those three girls! I swear the last time I saw them they were wearing the exact same outfits, and they always travel together, I guess in case there's ever a "Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber" competition going on and the one on the right needs some support.

west philly is philly punk.

39th and baltimore

Fu Wah tofu hoagies FTW!! If you're ever back home you should come to a show at Danger! Danger! Gallery on 49th and Baltimore (opposite Dock Street). Lemme know I'll get yer name on the list.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I'm heading in Sat and staying in Independent Hotel on Locust St. Do you have any recommendations for a late night bar for about 10 guys? It's a bachelor party so I'm expecting it to get sloppy. We're going to Delilah's around 9-10pm and want to hit up a bar after.

We're also eating dinner at Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant (the guy getting married is very into beer). I've been to Monk's but is there any other beer place near the hotel that's worth checking out? Is there a good scotch/whiskey bar anywhere?

(one of the things some guys want to do it bowling at Lucky Strikes but I want to find something else to do. I can't imagine bowling for a bachelor party)

Thanks again, and if anyone want's to meet up let me know.

The hotel's in a sick location, you should definitely check out Good Dog bar on 15th between Locust and Walnut, lots of good beer, good scene - rowdy but still cool and (according to google maps) it's a five minute walk from the hotel.

Also, as mentioned above, Village Whiskey is what you want but it's TINY, 10 guys will not fit. Plus it's probably too expensive/subtle for a large group anyway, go by yourself when you have the time to chill and appreciate a good drink (ask for Steven at the bar, man makes Sasha Petraske look like a barback at Houlihan's),

Lucky Strikes is more about the scene than the bowling, but unfortunately that scene is over-dressed under-cooked wannabe hipsters. However, that neighborhood does have Exit, which is an awesome skate shop on N 2nd, and the Piazza which is full of the same assholes as Lucky Strikes BUT it has a giant outdoor TV showing baseball games/football and lots of bars, so you can make it your own.

Nodding head is OK, don't expect the best beer in the world but they're nice guys. Ladder 15, two doors down, might also be worth checking out but I haven't been for a while and they've recently gone through renovations - good Korean tacos, I hear.

Saturday is the day my Asian friend arrives from Scotland, if she's down for going out we might meet up, otherwise the sufu crew should show up regardless.

PM me if you need anything while yer in the city, or call at 90-3345579-0 (that's a google voice number so I don't know if it takes texts. Actually lets try that. Yes it does, text away).

Bwahaha hey I know those three girls! I swear the last time I saw them they were wearing the exact same outfits, and they always travel together, I guess in case there's ever a "Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber" competition going on and the one on the right needs some support.

Fu Wah tofu hoagies FTW!! If you're ever back home you should come to a show at Danger! Danger! Gallery on 49th and Baltimore (opposite Dock Street). Lemme know I'll get yer name on the list.

The hotel's in a sick location, you should definitely check out Good Dog bar on 15th between Locust and Walnut, lots of good beer, good scene - rowdy but still cool and (according to google maps) it's a five minute walk from the hotel.

Also, as mentioned above, Village Whiskey is what you want but it's TINY, 10 guys will not fit. Plus it's probably too expensive/subtle for a large group anyway, go by yourself when you have the time to chill and appreciate a good drink (ask for Steven at the bar, man makes Sasha Petraske look like a barback at Houlihan's),

Lucky Strikes is more about the scene than the bowling, but unfortunately that scene is over-dressed under-cooked wannabe hipsters. However, that neighborhood does have Exit, which is an awesome skate shop on N 2nd, and the Piazza which is full of the same assholes as Lucky Strikes BUT it has a giant outdoor TV showing baseball games/football and lots of bars, so you can make it your own.

Nodding head is OK, don't expect the best beer in the world but they're nice guys. Ladder 15, two doors down, might also be worth checking out but I haven't been for a while and they've recently gone through renovations - good Korean tacos, I hear.

Saturday is the day my Asian friend arrives from Scotland, if she's down for going out we might meet up, otherwise the sufu crew should show up regardless.

PM me if you need anything while yer in the city, or call at 90-3345579-0 (that's a google voice number so I don't know if it takes texts. Actually lets try that. Yes it does, text away).

Sounds like you are referring to North Bowl, not Lucky Strike. North Bowl usually isn't hipster when I've been there, just regular people who want to bowl.

Lucky Strike is at 13th and Chestnut and is basically a bowling alley that tries to feel like a private club or something. Dark, flashy lights, scantily clad waitresses. We had our holiday parties there for work, its not horrible, but not somewhere I'd go on a weekend.

Avoid Ladder 15. It is owned by the people who own Mad River which basically makes it a post-college hang out for uncultured 20 somethings. It is a taste of Manayunk in Center City (not a good taste). However it is probably a good choice if all you want is to get your dick wet.

If I'm drinking in Center City and we can't find something that doesn't suck, we usually head to Bob and Barbara's on 15th and South to get shitfaced. Stupidly cheap alcohol and usually they have live Jazz on weekends.

Village Whiskey and Good Dog are both great, though. The former being quite small as AgentRed said. If you were going to do 10 people you'd have to call way ahead.

Sounds like you are referring to North Bowl, not Lucky Strike. North Bowl usually isn't hipster when I've been there, just regular people who want to bowl.

Lucky Strike is at 13th and Chestnut and is basically a bowling alley that tries to feel like a private club or something. Dark, flashy lights, scantily clad waitresses. We had our holiday parties there for work, its not horrible, but not somewhere I'd go on a weekend.

Avoid Ladder 15. It is owned by the people who own Mad River which basically makes it a post-college hang out for uncultured 20 somethings. It is a taste of Manayunk in Center City (not a good taste). However it is probably a good choice if all you want is to get your dick wet.

If I'm drinking in Center City and we can't find something that doesn't suck, we usually head to Bob and Barbara's on 15th and South to get shitfaced. Stupidly cheap alcohol and usually they have live Jazz on weekends.

Good call, I did have North Bowl in mind but I find the two pretty interchangeable, LS has more of the "office crowd".

You described Ladder 15 pretty perfectly - but that's actually a pretty good scene for a bachelor party, I mean if it's empty avoid it but if it's packed it's probably packed with CWGs.

I'd also recommend going to B&B's, plus South Street in general is always a loud scene on Saturday night

• 1 month later...