Philadelphia, PA

jiayi

my gf and i both had the omakase. Before I ordered i asked the waiter if our dishes were going to be the same? She said it all depended on the chef discretion. I requested that my omakase be different from my gf. (If I were going to spend that much, I would like to sample the restaurant as much as I can). The waiter was taken back a bit and she talked to her employees and went to ask the chef if he could do it. She said yes. I glad that I made that request because the couples across from us their omakase was exactly the same. It it not really a chef's choice after all. Pretty much they already put together all the dishes for the night. I guess it is impossible to have a hundred of different omakase a night? If anyone do the omakase in a large group, I think it would be more fun if you ask for several different omakases. You want the kitchen to be a bit creative. If they have the time anyway.

We had a total of 14 courses. Out of those, I think we enjoyed like 5-6 dishes.

for sushi in philly, I have tried kisso and zento. I heard that zento sushi chef used to work at morimoto. The place have good sushi but have zero atmosphere. It feels too much like a place for lunch and order for take out.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Vez does do a mean guac, but for an even better one IMO go across the street to Lolita.

I still have to try the more creative guacamole renditions El Vez does though...

Speaking of Indian, has anyone tried that new contemporary Indian place (across the street from El Vez, Lolita in the gayborhood)? I need me some good naan... mmmm

(keep this between me and you but my favorite indian restaurant ever [and i try to get indian food in whatever city i find myself in] is Jaipur in King of Prussia [336 W Dekalb Pike]; i am a fiend for spicy food and this is one that isn't afraid to hurt you; the top-level spiciness is called "sign the waiver"; agony of st. theresa type elevation)

is that near wawa by any chance? i will have to check that place out. I pass by a few indian places near south gulp road or henderson rd, not sure really but it advertised as a buffet.

what philly needs is casual/neighborhood restaurants that serve extraordinary food without charging the fine dinning prices. I go to philly every week and I need more recommendation! I went to sabrina for brunch and it was just awful. I did not understand the hype and there was no charm at the place.

there is no buffet

it is very close to the KOP mall

there is nothing in the shopping center of note

a party store, maybe an ultrasound boutique (i may be making that up) and perhaps an Acme (also maybe a figment of my imagination)

speaking of "underground" indian joints

there used to be a crown fried chicken spot in maybe west oak lane (?) that had a secret indian menu

you had to ask the dude (in a whisper) to see the indian menu and their eyes would light up

I was not into El Vez the two times I went. And honestly, the appeal of high-end Mexican is kind of bewildering to me...I feel like it is an oxy moron, especially since there are so many good authentic Mexican spots (La Lupe...tacqueria veracruzana) and super good burrito spots (Taco Riendo...Jose's) that are much cheaper.

On a total side note: I'm kind of a Craig Laban homer so I make it a point to try the three bell and higher restaurants. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but food is an area where I shell out. Vetri's tasting pretty much blew my mind.

so since my favorite BYOB place Django's (4th and South) closed recently i went to try Pumpkin (17th and South) the other night and it was great. i'd definitely recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

I live around the corner from this place. The owners also live nearby and are all about representing the neighborhood. Their deli has good sandwiches and the market they opened sells all locally grown fruit/vegetables and locally made food products (including Betty's tasty buttons fudge...awesome). I would also recommend their restaurant.

I went to sabrina for brunch and it was just awful. I did not understand the hype and there was no charm at the place.

I've only been twice, but both times half the menu was just 'This topped with this topped with this this this and this with a little this and then covered in this.' The toppings just seemed ridiculous and the portion sizes would make an Ethiopian gag.

It ain't bad, but it doesn't have any more appeal that just a run of the mill diner.

still kinda bummed im going to wind up spending most of my vacation in Philadelphia instead of NY but this store cheers me up

Philadelphia: Too bad we're not in New York.

Wtf

Seconded

the only one i haven't been to is the steakhouse (does it still exist?)... not much there for persons that don't eat red meat, i imagine.

Barclay prime is still there, never had it

The Striped Bass on Walnut is the one that closed recently.

El Vez is good, I had Sea Bass tacos there though, kind of sucked.

Like I said, La Lupe has the best mexican food in Philly.

i have love for philly. I will give you this, philly > nj.

nyc is just something else. but dont you guys already have this debate ages ago?

Most of US > NJ

I'll say it, NYC is a headache. I long to be back in Philly after being in NYC for only one day.

Did not realize there was a Philly thread till recently - I see dudes in Sam's and Fullcount's around...but they are my friends. I didn't realize so many people from the area posted on here.

I would like to utilize the thread as a 'should I eat here/not eat here' tool. Anyone been to Nicolas? It's in Pennsport.