Philadelphia, PA

jiayi

bruce springsteen is doing a free concert at 22nd and the Benjamin Franklin parkway on Saturday, adjust accordingly

have you been to the new Perelman building at the Philadelphia Museum of Art?

i think you would like it, faust.

they are running a kansai yamamoto exhibit (i haven't seen it)

and i remember there being a bunch of ralph rucci dresses on permanent collection, iirc

also, you are in time to catch the robert crumb show at the ICA

i am sure there is a lot more going on, curious what you are after....

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump. Going to Philly for a weekend getaway. Anything interesting going on? Also, is this really the best route by car that Google gives me? Seems a bit contrived.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Verrazano-Narrows+Bridge,+NY&daddr=400+Arch+St,+Philadelphia,+PA+19106&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=40.669635,-74.011261&sspn=0.172908,0.319977&ie=UTF8&z=9

The Turnpike to exit 4 is the way I always go home for NYC. I would take that suggested route.

daffy_1...You sound ill-informed. The expressions "sucks balls" and "all that" really aren't helping your argument either.

@DDML. Thank you sir. All your recs look like hits. I'd go see Mr. Springsteen, actually. Daffy, I have to disagree with you - I think Philly is pretty cool. It's not the first time I'm visiting (although each time I seem to take some incredibly contrived route to ge there), and I like it. Oh, and going with my wife, so not actually too worried about chicks. And Joan Shepp is an awesome women's shop (they should open a men's branch).

Bump. Going to Philly for a weekend getaway. Anything interesting going on? Also, is this really the best route by car that Google gives me? Seems a bit contrived.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Verrazano-Narrows+Bridge,+NY&daddr=400+Arch+St,+Philadelphia,+PA+19106&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=40.669635,-74.011261&sspn=0.172908,0.319977&ie=UTF8&z=9

Ya that's basically it. You have to dick around in Camden and get across the Ben Franklin unless you want to drive through some skeezy areas or have to go around the top of the city (which will take another hour).

The area you have the trip ending has a few decent shopping places. Deep Sleep on 3rd and some new place on 2nd that carries April/S2A/Vibskov.

All the womens go crazy for Third Street Habit too.

if you are staying in old city, check out Franklin Fountain

for records:

AKA Music

27 N 2nd St

Philadelphia, PA 19106

(215) 922-3855

and Tequila Sunrise (this record store is really something special; imagine Other Music but turn the obscure dial up to 11)

i doubt you are coming from NYC to Philly to shop, but since you are right around the corner, drop into sugar cube for mens/womens clothes (there's more info on this store in previous pages)

i am linking you to an events listing from Philadelphia Weekly; of particular interest to you would be the Russian Festival on Saturday

Thanks a lot denim. You are right, we are not coming to shop :-). We just like to stroll around mostly. I'll check out sugar cube (do they have a bjork statue or something?), and the music shops. We are staying in the olde city, basically where the marker ends. We mostly know the area form the Rittenghouse Square to the water (although I suspect there are more interesting areas). We usually grab a burger and a beer at Monk's and head to breakfast at Fork.

first friday is generally a mixed bag

the only thing i usually make it a point to go to is SPACE 1026

and fabric workshop

but to be honest i haven't gone to first friday in a minute

you could probably make a night of going into each gallery on 2nd and 3rd streets for the free booze

and you will probably encounter didgeradoo x marionette cypher in the streets and other wacky shit in old city (north of market------do NOT venture south of market on a Friday/Saturday night unless you are looking to sex young new jersey haircuts)

I have only been to Philly briefly (spent most of the time in Westchester...) but I liked what I saw. Someday I would like to check out Eastern State Penitentiary, seems like an interesting time.

ESP was kinda fun. I went like 4 years ago-- not really scary but its a good time.

ESP is really nice to tour in the day in fall...so right around now. the whole place has a weird beauty about it that decaying places normally have...plus al capone's cell really is dope. it's basically a smoking lounge. prison must've been nice to him

plus that whole area is pretty nice in general, lots of good bars and restaurants and close to the art museum, fairmount park, etc

basically i miss philly, what the fuck am i doing in israel? i'll be back in february...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...