Wine Enthusiasts

Guest StuckOnStupid

Only liking amarone is like saying you only date strippers. Is this a flavor preference or that your pallette is too unsophisticated to catch the nuances of a wine that isn't a dried out juggernaught of body and richness? I assume that's not the case if you also like ripasso, but maybe you should take another step back and try a really good valpolicella. Try a quinterreli valpolliciella superiore and you'll see how an off vintage wine by a great producer can trump a decent wine by a less stubborn producer who relies on all that extra smoke and mirrors to make his wine palatable.

Having said that, the genre of wine you're in is kinda a shitty one to start from as amarones are typically way more expensive and have much more quality fluctuation that's hardly relative to pricepoint. You're drinking bottles that are probably between $25 - $100 that aren't really as good as what you'd get forthright price if you focussed on somewhere like Tuscany. Plus Sangiovese and Italian grown bordelaise varietals are just way more versatile than rondinella and corvina.

Just try different stuff. Put a guildalberto up against your zenatto amarone and see what it is your liking more/less from one or the other and then find that characteristics in other varietals.

Only liking amarone is like saying you only date strippers. Is this a flavor preference or that your pallette is too unsophisticated to catch the nuances of a wine that isn't a dried out juggernaught of body and richness? I assume that's not the case if you also like ripasso, but maybe you should take another step back and try a really good valpolicella. Try a quinterreli valpolliciella superiore and you'll see how an off vintage wine by a great producer can trump a decent wine by a less stubborn producer who relies on all that extra smoke and mirrors to make his wine palatable.

Having said that, the genre of wine you're in is kinda a shitty one to start from as amarones are typically way more expensive and have much more quality fluctuation that's hardly relative to pricepoint. You're drinking bottles that are probably between $25 - $100 that aren't really as good as what you'd get forthright price if you focussed on somewhere like Tuscany. Plus Sangiovese and Italian grown bordelaise varietals are just way more versatile than rondinella and corvina.

Just try different stuff. Put a guildalberto up against your zenatto amarone and see what it is your liking more/less from one or the other and then find that characteristics in other varietals.

Yes, flavor preference. I've heard it described as "jammy" which is about right. I do like the dryness and better consistency of Ripasso. It must be getting the "meat" out of the process and recycling it, which stabilizes and sharpens it a bit. And the price is always right.

The fluctuations in Amarone quality are definitely a downside. I started really loving it when Tomassi was consistently good around, what was it, '99-'02 maybe? I can't recall the actual vintage years of the time. Lately especially, I haven't been dipping into too many.

Thanks for the suggestions, both to you and viv, I will try them. The Valpolicella you mention will be a good start.

Craggy range put out great NZ pinots from cooler micro climates that are really good for their price points. Oregon's got a cooler style that is interesting but I don't think they are distributed well outside of the pacific northwest.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...