Internships

jeepster

I'm not skipping out on school, exactly. it's a form of work-study. i get an internship, i do that, plus a little academic work on the side, i get credit in the classes i'm taking based on the amount of time i work and whether or not i have out of school work for current classes. it's a school function, so i'm not dropping out or anything like that. it's just an internship instead of going to the last 6-8 weeks of school. it sorta see it as a good work experience/better way to end school than actually busting my ass to finish up with a decent gpa.

my thought is: i'm going to college in the fall, and working all summer, so it's always good to build my resume up before i get out on my own, right?

That's what I did in grade 11, except it was a full semester, and it's called co-op here.

I got 4 credits.. and worked 6 hours a day, 4 days a week

i did mine at an accounting firm, while others in my class went to law firm, hospital, school, graphic design, radio station, electrician.. basically anything you wanted. i think if you talk to the teachers they'll be able to look around and find you what you need. a lot of companies will be willing to hire a student if it's free labour.

we're all forgetting this is high school level shit. who looks for high schoolers as interns?

you'd be surprised. i held down 2 jobs + internships over the summers throughout highschool

as mentioned before, i'd prioritize assessing your social network. who do your parents know? where do your friends work? looking into alumni is also not a bad idea. though its tougher, cold calling and persistence may work... having that gig at oaknyc sounds like fun

if all else fails, my suggestion would be looking into tallships. ill be doing the deckhand thing again this summer and its probably the most enjoyable job ive ever had. "sea semester" is also a great way to cover science/ecology credits without taking classes, before or during your college career.

and there are also so many more positions out there on ships than there are sailors... climbing the ladder is easy, and once you have experience as a deckhand on a reputable ship, youre at least guaranteed a job, a place to live and food wherever you go

and apparently, you make fucking bank on oil rigs without doing anything particularly difficult at all... one of the captains on a ship i worked on told me he watched dvds and read almost 8 hours a day. quit and started working tallships cause he said pushing oil was too boring. go figure.

sorry, this kinda turned into a huge plug for working at sea, its great though

If you are in college, join a business fraternity or a club related to your major. They will know people in the business and will invite companies to your campus so you can shmooze and earn that interview.

I did this and got an internship with one of the Big 4 Accounting firms. There is no better "in" than starting out with an internship.

the best way to probably go about it is through your school. craigslist is just full of bs. if you dont wanna go thru your school then just use the contacts on websites etc. and be politely persistant...

also, it might be hard to find something just from april to june. from my experience and what i've heard, most run the time length of about a semester. also, in fashion, a lot of internships require that you receive credit for the internship if you are enrolled in college.

• 7 months later...

This is a great topic that needs to be revived.

I've been thinking about getting an internship since last summer when I was bored as shit, sitting on my ass. I'm only a freshman in college, but I'm looking for something in a gallery (e.g. Team Gallery) or possibly a magazine (e.g. VMan) for this coming summer.

Besides being persistent, what else can be done to ensure a position?

Would it be wise to sublease an apartment for a summer just to do an internship if you're financially able to do so?

More stories, please. Magazine & gallery experience, anyone?

I am not opposed to constant coffee runs and pointless, mundane tasks a la The Devil Wears Prada.

What the hell is a decent community college? A community college is a community college.

not true. CA community colleges guarantee you transfer to certain UC's and other out of state schools. i did study abroad at the Sorbonne and transferred to Columbia through/from Community College because my CC is recognized as the 2nd best CC in CA.